The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bad wind

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Can I just check a couple of things?

When he taps on the baby gate, is he on the same side as you, or the other side?

Then, having woken you, he doesn't actually need out (do you take him anyway)? Or does he just get on your bed for a bit then returns to his own - is that correct?

That's what I was wondering... If he is separated from you at night by the baby gate, have you tried just leaving the gate open? He may just settle better if he has the choice to be close to you, either on your bed(if you're ok with that), or in his own bed next to you. The toileting thing maybe him being anxious at the separation...

That's what I was wondering... If he is separated from you at night by the baby gate, have you tried just leaving the gate open? He may just settle better if he has the choice to be close to you, either on your bed(if you're ok with that), or in his own bed next to you. The toileting thing maybe him being anxious at the separation...
He is not separated by the gate - we are in a small flat and the gate is just to stop him running out the front door when open. He has access to us all night but mainly chooses to sleep in his bed which is about 2 metres away from our bed.

Can I just check a couple of things?

When he taps on the baby gate, is he on the same side as you, or the other side?

Then, having woken you, he doesn't actually need out (do you take him anyway)? Or does he just get on your bed for a bit then returns to his own - is that correct?
He is the same side of the gate as us and has access to us all night. The gate is just to block access to the hallway and front door. We don’t take him out now - we did for a few days but it was evident he didn’t need the toilet.

In that case, in daytime I would start training a 'settle down' cue. One he has that nailed, you can use it at bedtime to reinforce that the bedroom is for sleeping in.

In that case, in daytime I would start training a 'settle down' cue. One he has that nailed, you can use it at bedtime to reinforce that the bedroom is for sleeping in.

I will give it a go - thanks. I will say though they prior to these last few weeks he has slept through for a period of about 6 months solid without stirring.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back