The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dandruff and itching

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
We are vegetarian and feed raw ...free flow minces and nuggets by natures menu are easily used and you wouldn't know it was raw ....over use of fish oils can cause itching and dandruff too ....raw chicken wings instead of dentastix are fab too ....he is gorgeous ;)

We are vegetarian and feed raw ...free flow minces and nuggets by natures menu are easily used and you wouldn't know it was raw ....over use of fish oils can cause itching and dandruff too ....raw chicken wings instead of dentastix are fab too ....he is gorgeous ;)
Thank you ☺️
I will definitely try all suggestions until infind the right food for him 😊

What a beautiful dog 👍
We feed raw to our dog and as my daughter is vegan, we worked to make it as easy as possible for her- portioning frozen food into dog bowls with lids and once defrosted just pop lid off without having to look at the food 😀
Most complete raw prepared packs look much like mushroom pate, kidney bean pate and the tripe prepared packs look like green olive pate - so a small way to prepare your mind (obviously won’t work for everyone 😀)
I really hope whatever you try sorts out his itching and skin condition x

What a beautiful dog 👍
We feed raw to our dog and as my daughter is vegan, we worked to make it as easy as possible for her- portioning frozen food into dog bowls with lids and once defrosted just pop lid off without having to look at the food 😀
Most complete raw prepared packs look much like mushroom pate, kidney bean pate and the tripe prepared packs look like green olive pate - so a small way to prepare your mind (obviously won’t work for everyone 😀)
I really hope whatever you try sorts out his itching and skin condition x
Thank you 😊

I am very keen to try this raw food idea. A lot of suggested it already so will definitely give it a go 😊

We have a thread on raw feeding here: Raw feeding

Bear in mind that it isn't a cure-all, and if your dog is sensitive to a particular protein such as chicken then of course it won't agree with them. But many people do see improvement in a lot of health conditions - and general condition - when they switch. Do ask if you have any questions.

Another thing you can consider is he may have an intolerance to fish and you said you feed a lot of oily fish - too much oily fish can also be a possible issue

Another thing you can consider is he may have an intolerance to fish and you said you feed a lot of oily fish - too much oily fish can also be a possible issue
That is possible. He gets fish every weekend once. Tuna or salmon or sardines.
I might stop it then because i didnt think of that. I was focused on chicken 😃
Thank you for the tip

We have a thread on raw feeding here: Raw feeding

Bear in mind that it isn't a cure-all, and if your dog is sensitive to a particular protein such as chicken then of course it won't agree with them. But many people do see improvement in a lot of health conditions - and general condition - when they switch. Do ask if you have any questions.
Thank you i will do 😊

Please remember that if you do consider to use chicken wings or any kind of raw bones, that they should NEVER be fed cooked. Cooking will make the bones brittle, splinter and they could be dangerous.
Just as a guide, I use about 8oz, or 1/2lb of meat product each day per dog, edible bones are also included as a nutritional food and rib bones from any animal are excellent teeth cleaners too.
Treats (if any) are kept to a minimum and are included as part of daily rations.
JoanneF has suggested some healthy products that could help with teeth cleaning and can be used as healthy treats too.

Another comment; Chicken.
Processed chicken within an elimination diet is nothing like the natural raw chicken product.
The raw product has unaltered proteins and nutrients but these are very much destroyed and badly altered after cooking/processing.

Last edited:
Please remember that if you do consider to use chicken wings or any kind of raw bones, that they should NEVER be fed cooked. Cooking will make the bones brittle, splinter and they could be dangerous.
Just as a guide, I use about 8oz, or 1/2lb of meat product each day per dog, edible bones are also included as a nutritional food and rib bones from any animal are excellent teeth cleaners too.
Treats (if any) are kept to a minimum and are included as part of daily rations.
JoanneF has suggested some healthy products that could help with teeth cleaning and can be used as healthy treats too.
Yes i know they can’t have cooked chicken bones.
The chicken wing I probably won’t try just yet anyway but just looking into the meat raw feeding and where to get it from.
I will completely avoid chicken because of the potential grain intolerance
Thank you ☺️

Hi and welcome, can't really add anything to all the great advice already given. But as well as looking at his diet I would definitely consider having him bathed a lot less, give his skin and coat a rest from the shampoo...even if it is hypoallergenic...
He is gorgeous!

Hi and welcome, can't really add anything to all the great advice already given. But as well as looking at his diet I would definitely consider having him bathed a lot less, give his skin and coat a rest from the shampoo...even if it ahreed to use less shsmpoo on is hypoallergenic...
He is gorgeous!
Thank you ☺️
Yes i have already spoken to my other half and we agreed we would use a lot less shampoo on him.
Thank you all 😊

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back