The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Diet

Linda March

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My dog is over weight she weighs 30kg and should be 25kg at the heaviest .I feed her butternut box chicken, they said that she should 475g of food I only give her 370g but she’s not losing anything at all .Butternut box is the only thing she will eat.She is a Romanian rescue 7 years old .

Like people, some dogs will have slower metabolism, and dogs don't read the feeding guidelines ;). Assuming there is no medical reason she isn't dropping weight, either cut back a bit more, increase her exercise, or both.

Like people, some dogs will have slower metabolism, and dogs don't read the feeding guidelines ;). Assuming there is no medical reason she isn't dropping weight, either cut back a bit more, increase her exercise, or both.

A friend has a lurcher who is only a little smaller than Jasper was. He eats less than half the amount Jasper did but is still a little overweight... You could try bulking out her food with raw or lightly cooked veg, and/or use slow feeding devices, Kongs, etc., if she seems to wolf it down in a mouthful and then wonder where the main course is...

I wonder if ex-street dogs' metabolism adjusts to make the most of scarce food supplies? I seem to remember something similar in Call of the Wild, though I did read it about 50 years ago...

Could also be that only the ones with efficient metabolisms survive.

All the best with helping your dog lose weight.

the only way I could get my dog to lose weight was to feed him Hills metabolic dog food, had cut him down to about half he should eat never lost an ounce put him on metabolic and 3 weeks down to right weight and eating more food.

The other thing you could try is adding more steamed veg to her Butternut box food (it has veg in I believe?), if she's really fussy just take a spoonful out at a time and replace with veg and slowly increase the veg and decrease the complete food for a while.

Reactions: RGC
Thank you I think she needs more exercise but we are 77 and 80 so not very energetic.

I'm 74 and can't work more then 10 yards without pain, but my 11 year old jackshi loves he's walks about 45 mins in the morning and 20 mins in the afternoon, so got myself a electric wheelchair which means he can go as far as he likes not cheap but worth it for him, can use a mobility scooter but to big for him.

Last edited:
Take care to not give too many treats during the day as this is also part of his daily food intake.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back