The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

neutering

eggr675850

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi . My adorable bundle of exhausting fun has to go to the vets to be castrated when he is 6 months old. I have to get him done as he is a rescue and of course, all reputable rescues stipulate this.

He is only small, a cocker x pom so I've read early neutering at 6 months is ok. Just getting other peoples thoughts experiences on this subject? He is still growing a bit and for some reason some folk have questioned if its a bit early?

What's his nature like? If he is a bit skittish, I'd say wait a bit, to let his ”brave” testosterone hormones kick in.

And, I'd also say wait until he has reached skeletal maturity. It's the teenage hormones that slow and halt bone growth, when you see really leggy dogs it's sometimes because they have been neutered before that's happened.

I would never spay/neuter unless there was a medical reason.
And certainly not until fully grown and matured mentally.
I believe that keeping our pets entire and managing them appropriately is all part of responsible ownership.
We are an all female family and have no problems when the girls come into season, we still go out for daily walks and have not found this difficult.

We also once had our daughters dog for a few years (probably 8 years) that she could no longer keep, who lived with us for many years until he died, he too was entire but lived with our pack that we managed reasonably easily, but there were times when for our own sanity he sometimes had to spend a couple of weeks at the kennels.
It was our choice that we had a mixed family of dogs at that time.

I have attached a couple of articles that you may find interesting

Neutering Dogs. In Depth | Doglistener

I'd say leave it as long as you can, and so would the majority of vets these days. If the Rescue puts pressure on you, the word of your vet should make them more agreeable.

Most rescues would say over one year old 6 months is very young...

Can I just add, although there are many good reasons, both physically and emotionally, why it may be preferable to wait, some of the dogs I work with or have worked with were neutered between 6 and 9 months and they are all actually doing just fine, one is almost 14 years old now! I know the rescue stipulates this so I thought I'd offer my experience as a flip side. But talk to the vet at the rescue if you have concerns, or an independent one for advice... if you don't have a choice they may be able to reassure you. They may even agree to wait a bit...

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back