Dogs love Dog Forum Join Now

Welcome to our Dog Forum!

We're an online community for dog owners to share and learn advice on all elements of owning a dog.

Join our forum today, it's free and benefits include:
  • Get free, independent advice from experienced fellow dog owners
  • Post as many questions (or answers!) as you like
  • Upload photos of your dog to our dog photo section
  • Search the huge archive of Q&As - we've been online since '99
Photo

Toe Amputation

20 replies to this topic

#1 haycroft

haycroft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:19 PM

Once again down the vets with Peggy for an Xray to see actacally whats going on with this toe of hers...tried ABs but not a great improvement and shes not happy

Vet called earlier and basically saying that the bone is being obsorbed and the only option is to remove the toe...we were hoping to put the leg in a cast and hopfully the bone will heal but this isnt an option anymore,

The trouble with Peggy both her hind legs are weak due to her accident almost two years ago and eventually her toes will fold and then a decision would have to be made...but until then i would like to think im doing as much as possible for her to have a quality of life

gotta pick her up at 4.30pm...so let you know how its gone on

has anyone else been through this with your dogs and how have they coped
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image http://i225.photobuc...-05-09_1654.jpg
Draperslock Blowalong..Bow.......................................Winterfellin Babybelle.Lucy...............special peggy RIP............................and Simba

#2 eve

eve

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 03:48 PM

I am so sorry to hear about Peggy.
I have purchased a magnetic collar for old Foxy. I have to say I was somewhat cynical and had not tried it.
She is on steroids as her bones are arthritic and trapping nerves in her neck.
She seems OK on the steroids but goes lame on her front leg if she runs on it. What whippet can resist a fat rabbit!
Yesterday, off she went and sure enough, she could hardly walk.
I put the collar on at lunchtime yesterday and there was a definate improvement by teatime. Today she is hardly lame at all.
I do not know if it is the effect of the collar or just nature or the steroids. These collars are supposed to take several weeks to be properly effective.
I just wondered if one of these magnetic collars may help Peggy (they cannot do any harm). It may improve her blood circulation to her toes.
Poor girl, I hope she feels better soon :wub: :luck:
If you want the most comfortable seat in the house, move the whippets

***** TODDY POSING *********** DAISY DOT ************* LILLY ************* MISTY *****
Posted Image

#3 SJM

SJM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:35 PM

Hi!

Just wanted to wish you luck with the toe problems...awful to face into surgery, but it's worth a go if it's the only remaining option...

...and also to update you on the pony front!

(D'you remember giving me loads of help over the winter to find a pony?) She's a wee dream and was worth the wait. Meet 'Pebbles.' (aged 20!) and Briona (age 8) :thumbsup: You were a great encouragement, thank you!
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 SJM

SJM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:36 PM

OOOps! :blink: Sorry about the EEEEEnormous photo - can't remember how I shrunk the others!!
Posted Image

#5 Whippets Rule

Whippets Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:52 PM

My dog had a toe amputated off a rear paw due to internal damage caused by tiny fragments of broken glass.

he manages fine on all surfaces but if ground is very uneven he limps a bit.

It's worse if its an outer toe on a front paw, dogs tend to manage better with a whole leg missing rather than loss of outer toe on a front foot as apparently this affects balance differently. My dog Badger needs to have an outer toe removed on a front foot but we are trying to hold off as long as possible.

recovery from toe amputation was pretty quick and dog was back to normal after fourteen days. Just to add, Bryn had his toe amputated six years ago and he's now twelve and can still give a cat a good chase.
Don't be a stranger just be strange..........
Posted Image

#6 haycroft

haycroft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:20 PM

Hi!

Just wanted to wish you luck with the toe problems...awful to face into surgery, but it's worth a go if it's the only remaining option...

(D'you remember giving me loads of help over the winter to find a pony?) She's a wee dream and was worth the wait. Meet 'Pebbles.' (aged 20!) and Briona (age 8) :thumbsup: You were a great encouragement, thank you!

Thanks for the good wishes
This is peggy when i brought her back from the vets
Posted Image
The have put a light dressing on her as we didnt want anything to heavy as her R hind is her weakest...didnt think i would come back from the vets and her walking...shes gotta have complete rest for ten days and taking ABs and Rymdal...she been a star
Bow really missed her and almost waited by the door while she was a way

pebbles looks lovely, im so happy that you found the perfect pony ...these older ones has life in them and are great with the little riders
I must update my sig as we have Simba on loan for my son Bradley who just adores him and getting on great..little and often
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image http://i225.photobuc...-05-09_1654.jpg
Draperslock Blowalong..Bow.......................................Winterfellin Babybelle.Lucy...............special peggy RIP............................and Simba

#7 haycroft

haycroft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:25 PM

My dog had a toe amputated off a rear paw due to internal damage caused by tiny fragments of broken glass.

he manages fine on all surfaces but if ground is very uneven he limps a bit.

It's worse if its an outer toe on a front paw, dogs tend to manage better with a whole leg missing rather than loss of outer toe on a front foot as apparently this affects balance differently. My dog Badger needs to have an outer toe removed on a front foot but we are trying to hold off as long as possible.

recovery from toe amputation was pretty quick and dog was back to normal after fourteen days. Just to add, Bryn had his toe amputated six years ago and he's now twelve and can still give a cat a good chase.

Peggy had her L hind outer toe off...There was no other option in her case so it had to come off...we just have to take it a day at a time with her as she has other back issues due to her spinal injury almost two years ago....so shes done really well considering

#8 jinnyfizz

jinnyfizz

Coataholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:25 PM

Well done, Peggy, for coping with your op so well :thumbsup:
Complete rest with your whippet servant at your bidding!!! How lovely :)

SJM - Pebbles is a cracking looking little mare! She certainly doesn't look her age :D
JANE
http://www.scruplesw...etrescue.co.uk/

There is a puddle on the floor, tis plain for all to see. Now, is that puddle H20 or is it K9P?

JINNY, MY NUMBER ONE WHIPPIE! THEN CAME ELLA, IRIE, SOX, ROSIE, POACHER (honorary whippet) and then TIZZY, closely followed by the "lurkers", Timothy & Caitlin!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Imagehttp://i123.photobuc...1060454-2-1.jpg

#9 haycroft

haycroft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:29 PM

I am so sorry to hear about Peggy.
I have purchased a magnetic collar for old Foxy. I have to say I was somewhat cynical and had not tried it.
She is on steroids as her bones are arthritic and trapping nerves in her neck.
She seems OK on the steroids but goes lame on her front leg if she runs on it. What whippet can resist a fat rabbit!
Yesterday, off she went and sure enough, she could hardly walk.
I put the collar on at lunchtime yesterday and there was a definate improvement by teatime. Today she is hardly lame at all.
I do not know if it is the effect of the collar or just nature or the steroids. These collars are supposed to take several weeks to be properly effective.
I just wondered if one of these magnetic collars may help Peggy (they cannot do any harm). It may improve her blood circulation to her toes.
Poor girl, I hope she feels better soon :wub: :luck:

thanks...i have tried a magnetic collar...i borrowed one so not sure if that makes a difference being second hand, but i didint really see a difference as her spinal cord has been damaged maybe we are abit limited what we can do...but thanks for the suggestion...someone has offfered to try her some Rieki healing so maybe i'l give that a try

#10 posh totty

posh totty

whippet servant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:01 PM

ive a lurcher here with a toe off and a joint thats calloused same foot but can say for certain it doesnt bother him in the slightest , good luck with the recovery xx :)
please help find these dogs

http://finddannyandlulu.tripod.com/

Posted Image

my babies , Blue, Cleo,Eddie, Tippy, Jessie & Mabel
Sophie and Danny pics coming soon !

Live each day as if its your last, one day you will be right!

Friends are the family we chose for ourselves, always chose wisely as they can last a lifetime!!!

DONT LET THE BAS*ARDS GRIND YA DOWN!!!

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, clutching wine , chocs and a toyboy!!!!covered in scars, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'yahoo!', what a ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 TillynPip

TillynPip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 12:33 AM

What a lovely whippy with a beautiful little face! :wub: Can't offer any advice as I've not had to deal with a problem like this with any of mine but good luck. I hope she make a good recovery. :luck:

#12 Whippets Rule

Whippets Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 05:54 AM

She looks great, she'll heal up in no time.

I don't know how often your vets will check the wound or how long they've said the dressing needs to be on but just take care with that as my boy Bryn developed infection in his rear paw where we were told to keep the dressing on for a week after surgery...this was our old vet( hence why he's our old one :lol: )though and I imagine you'll only have it on for a few days to start with then they'll want the air to get to it.

very best of luck with her, she's a beauty.
Don't be a stranger just be strange..........
Posted Image

#13 ~Annie~

~Annie~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:42 AM

Poor ol' Peggy ... how is she now Jayne?

Annie

#14 SJM

SJM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 12:46 PM

Hi!

Thanks for the good wishes
This is peggy when i brought her back from the vets
Posted Image
The have put a light dressing on her as we didnt want anything to heavy as her R hind is her weakest...didnt think i would come back from the vets and her walking...shes gotta have complete rest for ten days and taking ABs and Rymdal...she been a star
Bow really missed her and almost waited by the door while she was a way

pebbles looks lovely, im so happy that you found the perfect pony ...these older ones has life in them and are great with the little riders
I must update my sig as we have Simba on loan for my son Bradley who just adores him and getting on great..little and often
Posted Image

Oh Simba is sooo cute! :wub: So pleased you have a pony in your life too for your wee boy. He looks chuffed to bits! :D

Hope little Peggy is doing fine. :luck:
Posted Image

#15 kirsty

kirsty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:12 PM

Awww Poor Peggy :( Hope she mends well, bless her :luck: :luck: She is a gorgeous looking girl :wub:

#16 Whippets4eva

Whippets4eva

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:14 PM

Awwww sorry to hear this Jayne :( but glad things went ok with the op :)
Wishing Peggy a very speedy recovery :huggles:
She is a gorgeous looking girlie :wub:
"The more people I meet the more I like my dogs."

STAR Posted Image SKYE Posted Image

#17 haycroft

haycroft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:33 PM

Poor ol' Peggy ... how is she now Jayne?

Annie

she seems to be fine..walking around and looking at me to say why aren't i allowed to go out for a walk...she been sunbathing out in the garden
Gotta take her back on wed to have her dressing changed

Lets just hope this is it for a while as the vet has suggested to send the toe away to be tested to rule out bone cancer

shes been though so much but she never stops wagging her tail even if shes unsure whats going on

thanks

peggy and jayne

#18 ~Annie~

~Annie~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 03:46 PM

Aww, bless her ... glad to hear she's on the mend ... and fingers crossed she stays well now and no nasties show up in the lab results re. the toe ... give her a get well hug from me and the boys.

Annie

#19 jade scott

jade scott

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:10 PM

We had to have Tig's toe amputated about 4 years ago (when he was about 4) due to a bad dislocation. He has never had any problems with it, he carried on racing after it was all healed, tried a little bit of agility and still runs about like a mad crazed loon now, it has never affected him thankfully, he is just a little bit more dubious when you try and cut his nails now.

His bad toe was the front right paw, outter toe, i thought that after a while the other toes on the foot would shift a little bit but 4 years down the line ths rest of his toes are still perfect!

Posted Image
Posted Image

All the best with your dog I hope she adjusts to it as well as my dog has.
Posted Image

#20 *Lesley*

*Lesley*

Grand Master...Fluffy & nice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,264 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:51 AM

Awww poor Peggy what a brave girl she is :huggles: , hope all is well very quickly Sienna sends a big healing lick :flowers: :luck:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Imagehttp://img.photobuck...ature/059-1.jpg

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
-Mark Twain

If your dog detroys one of your most prized possessions, feel free to lash out, hit yourself on the head a few times for slipping up, it may teach you a lesson.Dr. Caroline Coile PhD

http://www.calennawh...sandcollars.com

To reply to this topic you just need to register for a user name (it's free!)
Already a member? Login to activate reply box