Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Erssiemajor@yahoo.co.uk

Retired racer adoption organisations

4 posts in this topic

I have owned ex racing greyhounds in the past. I have had one non racer who wouldn't cooperate after trials, 2 retired who slowed down. We can adopt retired dogs through the charity The Retired Greyhound Trust. The dogs make lovely pets if you are wise to their possible chasing habits etc.

At some point, I would love to have a whippet as a pet too and I wondered, is there a professional rehoming organisation that takes in unwanted ex racing whippets with a view to getting them into homes as pets?

You rarely see whippets in normal rescue centres and the few rescue services for whippet pets have a long waiting list compared to greyhounds. But it occurred to me that ex racing whippets might need a new home too.

I used to race my Whippet, though just at club level. I never heard of any that needed re homing. Most people just make another space on the sofa for them :)

We race our whippets for fun as a hobby so they are and always have been part of the family and unless you have a major problem you just get a bigger sofa!!

Agree totally with previous, racing Whippets are first and foremost pet dogs, they live with their family and after their racing is over they carry on being much loved family members.