Dogs love Dog Forum Join Now

Welcome to our Dog Forum!

We're an online community for dog owners to share and learn advice on all elements of owning a dog.

Join our forum today, it's free and benefits include:
  • Get free, independent advice from experienced fellow dog owners
  • Post as many questions (or answers!) as you like
  • Upload photos of your dog to our dog photo section
  • Search the huge archive of Q&As - we've been online since '99
Photo

Retired racer adoption organisations

3 replies to this topic

#1 Erssiemajor@yahoo.co.uk

Erssiemajor@yahoo.co.uk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:39 AM

I have owned ex racing greyhounds in the past. I have had one non racer who wouldn't cooperate after trials, 2 retired who slowed down. We can adopt retired dogs through the charity The Retired Greyhound Trust. The dogs make lovely pets if you are wise to their possible chasing habits etc.

At some point, I would love to have a whippet as a pet too and I wondered, is there a professional rehoming organisation that takes in unwanted ex racing whippets with a view to getting them into homes as pets?
You rarely see whippets in normal rescue centres and the few rescue services for whippet pets have a long waiting list compared to greyhounds. But it occurred to me that ex racing whippets might need a new home too.
Erssie

#2 gypsysmum2

gypsysmum2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:10 AM

I used to race my Whippet, though just at club level. I never heard of any that needed re homing. Most people just make another space on the sofa for them :)

#3 bigmac

bigmac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:28 AM

We race our whippets for fun as a hobby so they are and always have been part of the family and unless you have a major problem you just get a bigger sofa!!

#4 Biker John

Biker John

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 02:00 PM

Agree totally with previous, racing Whippets are first and foremost pet dogs, they live with their family and after their racing is over they carry on being much loved family members.

To reply to this topic you just need to register for a user name (it's free!)
Already a member? Login to activate reply box