Dogs love Dog Forum Join Now

Welcome to our Dog Forum!

We're an online community for dog owners to share and learn advice on all elements of owning a dog.

Join our forum today, it's free and benefits include:
  • Get free, independent advice from experienced fellow dog owners
  • Post as many questions (or answers!) as you like
  • Upload photos of your dog to our dog photo section
  • Search the huge archive of Q&As - we've been online since '99
Photo

Dogs never walked

9 replies to this topic

#1 Batgirl44

Batgirl44

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:18 PM

Hi
My neighbour has 5 dogs 3 labs and 2 pugs. They never go out for walks i feel so sad for them. I guess there's nothing i can do to help them is there?
Also the back garden is covered in dog poo they let them out to do their business then straight back in again. The poo is just left to rot!
They are fed and have a home am i best to just ignore it, hard when i see them sat in the window with big sad eyes
Thanks

#2 JoanneF

JoanneF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:45 PM

Legally they are probably providing a level of care that is acceptable. Dogs are required to have -

Freedom from hunger and thirst
Freedom from discomfort
Freedom from pain, injury and disease
Freedom to behave normally / exhibit natural behaviours
Freedom from fear and distress

So it's unlikely any organisation like the RSPCA would intervene. If the toileting is in a communal area though, Environmental Health might get involved.
  • Batgirl44 likes this

#3 arealhuman

arealhuman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:33 AM

Blimey.  I feel sad for those dogs, but I don't know what you can do to help improve their situation.  Perhaps a concerned neighbour might speak to the RSPCA as she has concerns about how they're treated indoors, when they're out of view :wink:

#4 lurcherman

lurcherman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:27 PM

Surely if there's heaps of dog waste in back garden then when it's hot it starts to stink so a phone call to the council environmental department will get things rolling.

#5 hollysh

hollysh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:59 PM

Difficult one. I think it's crazy that people get dogs when they don't have the time and/or energy to look after them properly. Or at least the adequate income to pay for someone to look after them properly. It would certainly upset me! Though whether to get involved is a tough one. Are your neighbours friendly/approachable? Obviously you do have to continue living next door to them so you don't want to upset them anymore than needed. If they are approachable maybe you could politely suggest in conversation someone you know that does dog walking. Someone close by and friendly. Preferably affordable. Or are you able to offer yourself? I know 5 dogs is a bit of a handful.

#6 Batgirl44

Batgirl44

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:24 AM

Theres 5 teenagers living there too! Not really approachable.
One of the labs got out a few years ago he terrified my kids who were out playing, he was barking and growling leaping around not the dogs fault as he was probably excited to be out, I wouldn't want to take them out in case I couldn't control them.
Just don't get why someone would have 5 dogs inside all day poor things. Think I'm going to phone the environmental dept about the back garden (they have a baby in the house too)
Just wish they had the chance to feel the sun and wind on they're faces.
Thanks for everyone's replies
One of the labs got out a few years ago he terrified my kids who were out playing, he was barking and growling leaping around not the dogs fault as he was probably excited to be out, I wouldn't want to take them out in case I couldn't control them.
Just don't get why someone would have 5 dogs inside all day poor things. Think I'm going to phone the environmental dept about the back garden (they have a baby in the house too)

#7 lurcherman

lurcherman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:27 AM

Sounds like a scum family that don't care on people or the dogs,, I hate these low life's that now live on our estates. Well that's my weekend rant over hehehe.

#8 JoanneF

JoanneF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:14 AM

Well that's my weekend rant over hehehe.

Already? What are you going to do with the rest of the weekend?

Edited by JoanneF, 22 April 2017 - 11:15 AM.

#9 Batgirl44

Batgirl44

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:14 PM

Sorry do t know why my message posted 3 times!!
They are a bit scummy ha ha

#10 lurcherman

lurcherman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:34 AM

Joanne I just put a cold towel over my head and pour another whisky hehehe

To reply to this topic you just need to register for a user name (it's free!)
Already a member? Login to activate reply box