Peegee

Is my dog just a 'tart'

7 posts in this topic

My female, spayed, dog who has just turned 1 displays some very dubious behaviour when approached by or approaches another dog.  She often either lays on her back with legs akimbo or just squats and lifts one leg.  She does this especially with males but also females.  They, of course, are very pleased to sniff or even lick her.  Can anyone explain what this behaviour means and will she grow out of it as she gets older.  Also should I be concerned about this or is it just part of her development.  Thanks. 

Sorry I can't help, but the title of your post drew me in and I'll admit I did laught a little bit.  Sorry.  It does sound like Saturday in the town where I live, but with "people" of course (I use the word people loosely ;))

Posted (edited)

Was she spayed at an early age ? maybe she is confused and without her hormones is not developing as she would had she had her first season ! 

However I will try to attach a picture of 2 mature girls, neither of them were in season or even due at the time, it was a regular behaviour between the two of them !        I'm sure Gypsysmum2 or joanneF will be along soon to help you and answer your question001.JPG.86fcf7d3559ff2aa3dc32378b84a28b4.JPG

Edited by excuseme

She was spayed at 5 months, before her first season and on advice from vet.  I love the photo!  Evie did go though a period when she was humping anything but seems to have worked through that one.  I think it was Gypsysmum who suggested that might be due to over excitement and not knowing what to do with herself and that sounds about right.  Will wait to hear further about the 'tarty' behaviour. 

Just a pair of middle aged girls who enjoyed each others company !!

The upside down one was put to sleep 2 years ago with major heart failure ( I wonder why, hmmm ! ), other one sitting beside me now  almost 12years old.

I have the picture as a video clip "in action" but too big to send.

This is usually a submissive behaviour. It's a dog's way of showing through body language that she is no threat; through exposing her vital organs and throat for the other dog. She may well outgrow it as her confidence develops - even if she shows no clear sign to you of lacking confidence. You could perhaps help this along with meeting and walking with dogs you know to be safe and steady.

Thanks Joanne. I did think that might be the issue but the trainers where we've been going isince she was tiny suggested it was also a personality trait and was flirty behaviour.  She used to be a lot less confident and would often lie on her tummy when she saw a new dog, now she gets very excited wagging tail and running towards them before sitting 'nicely' a few feet away, it's when they come up to her that she starts displaying this submissive type of behaviour,. If any dog shows signs of play then she is very happy to charge around with them.  She is happy to go on walks with other dogs, including a very large Doberman.  you have reassured me that this is a confidence issue and I'm happy that I'm pretty sure she isn't too anxious and will hopefully grow out of it.   I've just realised that there is a very boisterous male Doberman (a different one) at our training class who is always lunging at her and trying to get to her, when he's let of lead people have to stand in front of us to stop him getting at her.  He's not aggressive, just very interested.  He is quite intimidating and perhaps this isn't helping her confidence.