The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dislocated Tail ???

saraquele

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
my dads youngest whippet is nearly 4 years old , he took them for there walk this afternoon and as usual they dissapeared into the undergrowth for a mooch , when my dad got them back on lead he checked them over as usual .

he got home and noticed storms tail sort of kinked , its hard to explain , she is still wagging her tail and its not major , its halfway down her tail . she dosent appear to be in any pain but wonderd if to strap it up , leave it be or off to the vets tomorrow .

any advice appreciated , thank you :D

ghostlyease said:
Could it be
Limbertail

Only sounds similar to something my friend had in a Stafford.

We had an English setter with this I think, but their tails just hang limp for 24-48 hours, and is caused by water going where it shouldn't!

If your Dad's whippie is still wagging, unlikely to be this

Hope you get it sorted :huggles:

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont think it is the limber tail ? as it is not hanging limp , its like some one has taken it off then stuck it back on slightly lower , looks like a photo shoot of poor storms tail is coming lol

saraquele said:
i dont think it is the limber tail ? as it is not hanging limp , its like some one has taken it off then stuck it back on slightly lower , looks like a photo shoot of poor storms tail is coming lol
here are a couple of piks , sorry they are bad quality but may give an idea ??

i think she will be off to the vets for a check up anyway tomorrow :thumbsup:

excuse the bushy tail lol

storm002.jpg

storm001.jpg

and here is a photo of my mum and dads dogs , nipper is 12 now and storm who is 4 in aug :huggles:

storm003.jpg

saraquele said:
saraquele said:
here are a couple of piks , sorry they are bad quality but may give an idea ??

i think she will be off to the vets for a check up anyway tomorrow :thumbsup:

excuse the bushy tail lol

storm002.jpg

storm001.jpg

and here is a photo of my mum and dads dogs , nipper is 12 now and storm who is 4 in aug :huggles:

storm003.jpg

Is it at all painful for him? I just wondered if it was a sting or bite that is making it look bent? - just a thought.

Beautiful dogs btw :thumbsup:

looks like its broken daisy has a broken end on her tail i dont know how she did it but it doesnt seem to bother her :huggles:

Well if it's broken, don't let the vet take it off before you try to heal it yourself. A friend of mine took his dog racing, and shut the trap door on the dogs tail - it was awful because the dog tried to run while it's tail was trapped. It was really bent, and the vet advised amputation. Rather than that they tried to heal it instead, which wasn't easy as whippies wag their tails all the time. They got a syringe casing, and taped it round the tail to protect the break - they later changed to a curler to allow the air through - after a while, I can't remember how long, but it healed, and never gave her any more bother.

My dog had limber tail once, and it was a bit further up the tail (not sure if it's always in the same place :wacko: ), he had it on and off for a while - surprisingly our vet had never heard of it :unsure:

Good luck, hope it's something that heals OK :thumbsup: :luck:

no its not painfull at all , she is fine in herself , its a strange thing really :thumbsup:

thanks for that . as its not bothering her we have decided to strap it up and see how it heals , my mum is a first aider lol so hopefully not too much different in dogs 8) as you say the vets will say amputate but it seems drastic to do that so will keep our eye on it , strap it up and see how she goes , she isnt a show dog so a bent tail dosent matter as long as she isnt in any pain :D

our lacey has 2 kinks like that in her tail one we noticed when we first got her she was 18 months old and the other happed one day when she was running about and sliped the vet said they didnt hurt her and did coaues her any problems and as shes not a show dog he adviced us to leave it alone that was a few years ago and shes never had a problem with them. infact as her tail fur is quiet thick you donet realy notice them at all and i have see quieta few whippets with kinks

All you need is 2 Ice Lolly sticks,put 1 each side of the kink,so you make a splint,then tape together,this will keep the tail in alignment,and in time will heal correctly,this happens often with the Greyhounds,we just tape for about 3-4 weeks,never had any problems

faircorn said:
All you need is 2 Ice Lolly sticks,put 1 each side of the kink,so you make a splint,then tape together,this will keep the tail in alignment,and in time will heal correctly,this happens often with the Greyhounds,we just tape for about 3-4 weeks,never had any problems

thanks for that :thumbsup: it still has a kink and always will have i guess now but she is sitting on her tail , wagging it etc so dosent appear to be in any pain :thumbsup: 2 lolly sticks on there way to my dads :D

saraquele said:
faircorn said:

thanks for that :thumbsup: it still has a kink and always will have i guess now but she is sitting on her tail , wagging it etc so dosent appear to be in any pain :thumbsup: 2 lolly sticks on there way to my dads :D

Bet you're really upset you had to eat 2 lollies though eh? :lol:

June Jonigk said:
saraquele said:
faircorn said:

Bet you're really upset you had to eat 2 lollies though eh? :lol:

KIDS BEAT ME TO IT :rant: they heard me talking to my dad about lolly sticks then they appeared with a strawberry split each saying " you can have these when were finished " they were the last 2 as well :(

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back