The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Healthy and robust chews.

RGC

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Perhaps I’m crying for the moon. Mabel can go through most chews at a rate of knots. However, due to their resilience, it takes time for her to go through tracheae, duck gizzards and those other dehydrated bits and pieces displayed loosely in pet shops. She absolutely adores them but I have concerns about the hygiene issues. As a sighthound she has problems with digesting fat and on occasions in the past these ‘delicacies’ have given her the ‘thrupenny bits’. Does anyone know of a chew which is tasty and a challenge and won’t have nasty/unsociable after effects?

What about the Yakker (very, very hard, cheese based) chew? There are non-branded ones that are a bit cheaper.

The trachea I've bought have always had a layer of fat that I've scraped off, so that might contribute to the problem - but things like pizzle and sinew might be less fatty.

This site has just been mentioned on another forum I use, maybe something here would be good - and I'm sure, if you call, they could suggest lower fat options.

Healthy Dog Treats | Natural Dog Treats - Doggytreat.co.uk

What about the Yakker (very, very hard, cheese based) chew? There are non-branded ones that are a bit cheaper.

The trachea I've bought have always had a layer of fat that I've scraped off, so that might contribute to the problem - but things like pizzle and sinew might be less fatty.

This site has just been mentioned on another forum I use, maybe something here would be good - and I'm sure, if you call, they could suggest lower fat options.

Healthy Dog Treats | Natural Dog Treats - Doggytreat.co.uk
Many thanks for that, JoanneF. Will locate a supplier of Anco treats.

I think you can buy directly from them.

My lurcher pup loves rabbit ears, they don't last more than 5 minutes but enough to settle him down to sleep.

We've a cows hoof that I stuff with mince or yoghurt etc and freeze and a lamb horn which he's not that bothered about to be fair but does chew now and then

I’m really looking for something to keep her occupied when we’re out. I don’t mean leaving her in the house while we’re out. It’s when we’re eating out in restaurants. She’s the epitome of good behaviour and charm and accepts her rug as her ‘spot’ but it seems somewhat unfair to bring her out with us, having her on her best behaviour but with nothing in it for her while we’re enjoying haute cuisine.

The yakker type chews might be less offensive to other diners than some of the random animal body parts then! :D

The yakker type chews might be less offensive to other diners than some of the random animal body parts then! :D

Though the temptation to try a deer leg, which I've seen on sale recently, may be irresistible. Particularly if you go to a pub in the middle of the New Forest or similar location.....

I’m really looking for something to keep her occupied when we’re out. I don’t mean leaving her in the house while we’re out. It’s when we’re eating out in restaurants. She’s the epitome of good behaviour and charm and accepts her rug as her ‘spot’ but it seems somewhat unfair to bring her out with us, having her on her best behaviour but with nothing in it for her while we’re enjoying haute cuisine.

Our daughter takes her puppy who is now about 16 months out everywhere with her. She takes a blanket with her so that where ever they may go to, pub or for food the blanket is put on the floor and that is where the puppy settles and stays. she may or may not get a reward but is happier being with our daughter than being left at home.

Reactions: RGC
Our daughter takes her puppy who is now about 16 months out everywhere with her. She takes a blanket with her so that where ever they may go to, pub or for food the blanket is put on the floor and that is where the puppy settles and stays. she may or may not get a reward but is happier being with our daughter than being left at home.
That’s exactly our situation, excuseme. The longest we’ve left her in the house without us was about one hour and she had George, the cat, with her. Perhaps we’re being over precious.

Bought some rabbit ears this morning as a tester. She’s just consumed one with relish (with gusto, not pickle).

Careful where you source them. If they come from China, as so many dog chews do, there's a strong possibility of nasties like formalin on them (are they yellow?). And I'd personally be wary of deer legs - they are load-bearing and very dense bone. Would your dog settle for a stuffed and frozen kong instead?

Or... accept the status quo if it's working. She's probably not 'being good' while you eat, she just happily accepts that this isn't snack time for her, it's snooze time. Getting into the habit of giving her something to eat creates expectations, and expectations can lead to either anxiety ('Where's my food, this kong's run out, what do I do?...') or pestering ('Can I has another?').

Careful where you source them. If they come from China, as so many dog chews do, there's a strong possibility of nasties like formalin on them (are they yellow?). And I'd personally be wary of deer legs - they are load-bearing and very dense bone. Would your dog settle for a stuffed and frozen kong instead?
These are by Anco which I bought from a pet shop locally but I do take your point re sub standard stuff from China. They're light brown and sinewy. I've yet to try her on a frozen kong. Will give it a whirl but there are logistics to address when dining out - we spoil that whippet.

Many thanks to all for your suggestions.

Though the temptation to try a deer leg, which I've seen on sale recently, may be irresistible. Particularly if you go to a pub in the middle of the New Forest or similar location.....

Oh Judy, You make me feel very guilty.
It was only yesterday that I threw 4 fresh deer legs away. (with skin /hair and feet on).
The head with ears on has been eaten:rolleyes:, just a few teeth left lying around.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back