The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Introducing The Shannon Down Family

sdwhippets

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
On another discussion concerning one of our litters (the dual sired litter) someone said I should post pics of our other kids... so here is the current Shannon Down Family. Mom and I live together with my father and little brother, so we have several dogs - she has hers, I have mine ;) I am posting a candid "at home" shot of most of them - but you can see TONS of pictures of them all on our website www.shannondownwhippets.com and some more candids and such on our blogspot www.shannondown.blogspot.com All of our dogs have MANY nicknames (and come to them all!) but I am also including their 'main' nickname in their short biography down below.

This is Sweet Pea - Ch. SDW Diamondntheruff V Hasue SC, FCh, CR

She is the old lady of the house - she will be 9 years old this November, can't believe time has flown by that fast! She is mom's old lady but we kind of share her, I don't know what I will do when I move - may just have to steal her away! Her nickname is "Poot"

DSC_0329.jpg

This is Murphy - FC CuRas A Clockwork Orange SC, FCh, SR, CRX-3, ORC

He's the old guy of the house - he will be 9 years old in October. I claim him as 'mine' - we co-own him with Kiesha Crawmer (Kismet Sighthounds) but he is retired here at Shannon Down. He has a NOTRA Meet win under his belt! He still lure courses in the Veteran Stake on occasion - he's actually running this weekend and won the Veteran Stake yesterday! Murphy's nickname is "Murph Man" - not to much we can do with his name ;)

DSC_0341.jpg

This is Leigh - Ch. Shannon Down Blazing Angel SC, CR, OTR

She is the lady that runs the show here at Shannon Down, she is Sweet Pea's daughter and turned 6 years old in July. She is sired by SBIS Ch. Bohem Circus Runaway ROM She is mom's baby - but not sure if Leigh belongs to mom or if mom belongs to Leigh :) She is our first Group Placer (Multiple) and was a Top 20 contender in the show ring in 2004. Her nickname is "Leigh Leigh" or "Lileighanne" (pronounced Lily Anne) LOL

DSC_0404.jpg

This is Brooks - Ch. Shannon Down Blazing Saddles SC, CRX-3, OTRM-2

Brooks is MY boy and is a littermate to Leigh. He is the first dog I finished all by myself and he was the boy that helped me to win the Junior Handling competition at the 2004 AWC National. Brooks goes by "Brookilynn" or "Brookie"

DSC_0365.jpg

This is Scarlet - Shannon Down Scarlet Blaze JC

She is also MY girl and a littermate to Leigh & Brooks. She took a back seat to Brooks and Leigh while they were showing and though she has a few points and a Best of Breed win over Specials (including her sister Leigh), I never pushed her much in the show ring or on the coursing field. She is my girl, I had her picked out from the day she was born :) Scarlet's nickname is "Bunkle" - can't even remember how we came up with that!

DSC_0426.jpg

This is Rupert - DC SDW Lifelong's About Face! MC, FCh, CRX, OTRM

Rupert is absolutely mom's baby, he will be 4 years old in October and is Leigh's son sired by NSBIS & BIF DC Poppy Hill's My Brave Face MC, FCh, CR, SR, SRE, OTRM He was our first dog that was finished completely from the Bred By Exhibitor class (show by mom) and finished his Ch. at 13 months. Last year he was the #1 Dual Champion in AKC Lure Coursing and was the #2 Whippet & Sighthound overall. His nicknam is "Poopy" - long story - LOL

DSC_0224.jpg

(In his Polo shirt)

This is Dido - Shannon Down I'm No Angel V Lifelong JC

Dido is Rupert's sister and is the center of the 'dual sired litter' discussion going on under the Whippet Showing area. She is also mom's baby and only needs 2 singles to complete her show Championship. Dido is quiet the character and her nickname is "Diddle" :)

DSC_0411.jpg

This is Lola - Shannon Down Angel Eyes V Lifelong JC, CR, OTR

Lola is Rupert & Dido's sister and is MY baby girl. She is my pillow at night and often gets up in the middle of the night and steps on my eye!!! I think I am immuned to black eyes by now! Lola is major pointed in the show ring, but has taken a back seat to sister Dido while she finishes up her Championship, but now that Dido is out for maternity leave, she will be showing here and there until Dido comes back to finish up those two points. Lola goes by the name "Heffer" - LOL She's is a big clumsy thing, fits her perfectly.

DSC_0001.jpg

(She is sitting on our grill on the back porch - what a clown!)

This is Charlize - Shannon Down Sweet November

Charlize is 100% MINE. She is out of Scarlet, sired by SBIS, BIS & BIF Ch. Tivio's Chiricahua FCh Charlize was a singleton pup, born on my 18th birthday, she will be 3 in November. I was sick that night and spent most of the night at the Emergency Vets as Scarlet had to have a c-section as she was a big pup and her shoulders were back, Scarlet couldn't get her out on her own. So she is VERY special to me - she got loose at the AWC Nationals in Kansas a while back while a friend was walking her. It was horrifiying, I will never forget it. It was less then 30 minutes, she made it over a mile away with her leash on, crossing 8 lane roads and somehow not making it to the highway. She trapped herself in a fence around a nursing home and the cops got her and animal control picked her up and brought her back to us. She was in shock, thankfully uninjured other then some bloody toenails. But since she has not been well around loud noises, I have not pushed her to show or run since but when we do take her she does extremely well for what she has been through. She will probably never have a title in her life, just because I will not push her to do something that she isn't happy with - but she is my baby and will NEVER leave! I call her "Jelly Bean" :)

DSC_0431.jpg

This is Quincy - Burnt Sienna Midsummer Dream SC

Quincy is our Swedish Import (Swed, Norw, Fin, Int'l Ch. MacBell's Citizen Kane x Swed, Norw, Fin, Dan, Int'l Ch. Adagio Love Is All Around) and we love him to pieces. He turned 2 in June. He is sort of shared between mom and I (but he's more mine!) He is currently working on his AKC Field Championship with 8 points and a major already and will see more of the show ring this Fall. He goes by MANY nicknames, but his main nickname is "Meatball"

DSC_0358.jpg

Will post more in the next post......

Krys

This is Bosley - FC Shannon Down Full Throttle V Kismet MC, FCh, CRX-4, ORC

Bosley is a Murphy son, out of our girl Daisy (BIF Shannon Down Talkn To The Moon MC, FCh, CRX, OTR) who now lives with our good friend Anita. Bosley is our Wonder Whippet - doing it all, and he is turning 5 this month!!! He was our first Oval Race Champion and has 9.33 points towards his WRCh title as well as being an AKC & ASFA Field Champion and being ranked in the ASFA Top 20 one year and AKC Top 20 last year. He also has been shown a bit and is pointed towards his Championship! He is a Multiple NOTRA Meet winner and goes by several names including "Bozer" and "Nancy" (quiet a story behing the Nancy name) Oh, he is mom's baby - 100% Though my father claims that all the black and white dogs belong to him - LOL

DSC_0440.jpg

This is Gali - Shannon Down The Speed Of Light JC, OTR

Gali is a repeat of Bosley, born on the same exact day - two years apart! Gali belongs to my little brother Stuart. She is his baby and you can't tell him otherwise :) She sleeps with him every night and is up with him in the morning when he's getting ready for school. Due to an injury as a puppy, she doesn't run very much as it bothers her neck. But she is quiet the member of our family with her funny little antics... she goes by the name "Galiho" or "Squab" as my father calls her.

DSC_0413.jpg

This is Winnie - BIF FC Windyglen Winning Colors SC, FCh, CRX-3, ORC

Winnie is co-owned with Kiesha but lives here at Shannon Down, she turned 4 in April. I claim her as mine, though we all kind of share her :) She is a Best In Field & Multiple NOTRA Meet winner, she still courses on occasion but spends most of her time here at home now instead of traveling every weekend - she is just fine with that. I call her "Winnifred" but Stuart and dad call her "Bin Bin"

DSC_0304.jpg

This is GiGi - MBIF FC Appaws ImagiNation Of Shannon Down MC, LCX, FCh, CR, OTRM

GiGi is mom's baby girl, she will be 3 in October. (Windyglen Waylon RCh, WRCh, ORC x Appaws Chantilly Lace JC, FCh, SR, OTRM-2) She has proven herself to be quiet the little coursing girl with 2 Best In Field wins as of recently and becoming our first LCX titled kid! She finished last year as the #3 (and #1 bitch) Whippet & Sighthound in AKC Lure Coursing and is currently #2 this year! She is also poitned towards her ORC title, she has several nicknames as well but I call her "Gigala" but mom calls her "Squirrel"

DSC_0089-1.jpg

This is Viva - FC Appaws Vivid ImagiNation SC, CRX, OTRM

Viva is GiGi's sister and we co-own her with Kiesha but she lives here with us (I claim her as my own ;) She has done most of the running she is going to do though she still goes out on occasion to have fun, but sister GiGi likes to show her up ;) She finished her Field Championship with three 5 point majors and was in the Top 10 AKC Lure Coursing Whippets last year. She is almost done with her ASFA Field Championship and is pointed towards her ORC too. I call her "Vivala" or "Frog Dog" as when she barks she sounds like she is croaking like a frog!

DSC_0080-1.jpg

This is Cuda - FC Windyglen's I'm Outta Here MC, FCh, CRX, OTRM-2

(Windyglen's Frisky Boy x Windyglen's Close Shave) Cuda belongs to my sister Kassi, she does not live here at home and due to her work schedule - Cuda stays here at Shannon Down. When she has a few days off he goes to stay with her. He was SUPPOSE to be mom's dog, but as soon as we picked him up - Kassi claimed him as hers - LOL Cuda finished his ASFA FCh in a 4 day weekend! He finished his AKC FC rather quickly as well and was in the AKC Top 20 last year! He is also pointed towards his ORC title but is concentrating on his coursing right now. He turned 3 in March and we call him "Cuda Bear"

DSC_0392.jpg

This is Tigger - FC Windyglen Tiggers Have Springs SC, WRCh, ORC

Tigger is Cuda's brother, we got him when he was older. Tigger also belongs to Kassi but is in the same situation as Cuda, he lives here due to Kassi's work schedule but goes to stay with her when she has a few days off. He finished his ORC before he came to live with us and we ran him for his WRCh and he completed both titles in a little over a years time. He is a Multiple NOTRA Meet winner and a WRA Meet winner. He is 2 points from his SORC title and finished #2 in NOTRA last year and is currently #3 in AKC lure coursing - but he sustained an injury about 3 weeks ago that required surgery on his hock, he now has 3 screws in his hock but due to the ligiment and tendon damage, we may never run him again. He's still got a splint but he's doing wonderful, hasn't complained through this whole ordeal. The only thing bothering him is he is OBSESSED with his soccer ball, but we can not let him out back to run around with it - he really misses carrying around his soccer ball right now! We call him "Tiggy" but my dad likes to spell out his name... saying T-I-double Ga-er My father has also made up a few little songs about Tigger as well that he sings to him on occasion - LOL

DSC_0097.jpg

This is Raku - Wheatland Raku OTRM

Raku is only here for a little bit longer before she goes back home to Kim Otero - (Ch. Wheatland Cab Calloway RCh x Wheatland Tari) She will be 4 in October and we leased her to breed to our boy Bosley, and we got a beautiful litter from them last year. We love Raku so much and don't want to see her leave (which is why she has stuck around so long) but she will be returning home soon. My father LOVES her, but then again - she is black ;) When we got her and we were waiting for her to come in season, we ran her at NOTRA meets and now she only needs 2 ORC points to finish her title. We call her "Falcon" because the only way she will jump on you is if you put your arm in front of your chest and she will put her feet up on your arm - just a like a bird landing on you - LOL

DSC_0332.jpg

Will post the last of them in the next post....

Krys

Now for the younging's....

This is Helen - Shannon Down Mad About You SC

Helen is the daughter of our Rupert and is out of a girl we leased, "Fiona" - NSBOS Ch. Summit Beautiful Stranger. Helen is just over a year old and is starting to lure course, already having 4 points towards her AKC Field Championship!!! She completed her SC title yesterday. We will start showing her soon as well and she is quiet a fun little girl - having the same personality as her daddy. Mom has claimed her as her own, though I like to think we share her - she really is mom's girl ;) I call her "Hellion" most of the time (because she is) but when she's being a good girl I call her "Helena"

DSC_0859.jpg

(Helen was helping bake a cake)

This is Tinsley - Shannon Down Cinnamon Girl

She is sired by our Bosley and out of Raku - she is also just over a year old. We are taking it slow with her because she is just SO fast and doesn't know how to control her legs yet. She will be really fun when she gets going though! She is my sweet little girl, but dad has claimed her to replace Raku - LOL He calls her "Red Raku" - he NEVER calls her Tinsley - LOL

DSC_0001-1.jpg

This is Delite - SDW Kismet Prospector's Delite

Delite is sired by Bosley and out of Winner, we co-bred the litter with Kiesha. She is our keeper and just over a year old. We will be working on her JC soon, but for such a tiny girl (only 17.5 inches) she is mighty fast! I love her to pieces and she is MINE, no arguments about that. She is just the cutest thing ever, my father also really likes her but he prefers his "Red Raku". I call her, "Delightful" but my father likes to call her "Afternoon Delite" and often sings that to her - LOL

DSC_0265.jpg

And last by not least, Francois - Shannon Down Evil Surprise

Francois was an accident, out of Gali and sired by Quincy. Quincy made quiet the effort to get to Gali and was VERY quick. I was able to get them apart after about a 15-20 second tie and we ended up with a litter of 7!!!! Francois is still here at Shannon Down though all his siblings have moved on, but Francois will be leaving soon to go to Holland where he will get to race. He is just over a year old and is a little SPUNKY boy at 18.5 inches tall. Like his father, he has WAY to many nicknames to mention - but I call him "Frances", "Wee Man" and "The Red Dragon". He is the spunkiest little guy you will EVER meet!!!

DSC_0202.jpg

Well dang! That was a lot of typing. Now you have met the Shannon Down family - we often have visitors coming in and out of the house - to show, course or race. Right now we have a few - Anna, Isaac & Hummer (all our breeding - you can see them on our website) I am home ALL day with them, the only time I leave them is when I go and visit my grandfather for a few hours, but when I do leave - either mom or dad are home - I never leave them alone. The all live in the house - we always have about 10 in the house at any given time and they take their turns. We have a bedroom that we converted into the 'dog room' where all their crates are - that is where they eat and where the dogs that don't sleep in bed with us, sleep at night. We store all their jackets, coursing/racing supplies, medical supplies, food, etc. in there so it's all handy when we need it. They actually seem to like their little room and when they know it's time to go in their crates they all run to the dog room door and wait for me to open (actually Brooks tends to yell at me if I am not moving fast enough, so abusive - LOL) and they all hop in their own crates, they know just what ones they go in. Right now I am looking at Dido sprawled out on the floor - Charlize & Sweet Pea on the couch, Scarlet under a quilt on the floor and Gali is hiding around her somewhere. Mom has many of the dogs with her (Cuda, Rupert, Helen, Tinsley, Delite, GiGi, Murphy,

Quincy & Isaac) Tigger is in his x-pen in the dining room which is where he has to stay for a while due to his recovery from surgery. The other kids are outside playing, it's beautiful out right now and they are soaking up the sun :)

Well, I know that was long - but now you know the Shannon Down family!!!

Oh and if you take the time to go through our website, you can see the entire extended family - all the dogs we have bred, all the dogs we bred that are in the show and/or performance homes have their own pages. Every litter we have ever bred, and litters sired by our dogs or out of Shannon Down bred bitches (but not bred by us) are on there as well. Every one of them is important and special to us so I don't like to exclude anyone - they are ALL there - LOL

Oh, I also have my 'non-Whippets' which you can see on www.shannondownwhippets.com/kryleigh.htm I have two Cresteds (Quizzie and her daughter Apollonia) and my lone Basenji "Belle". All three are mine :)

Krys

(and Shannon - and Brad (dad), Stuart & Kassi - and older brother Sterling who really isn't a dog person and Kassi's fiance Martin who the dogs LOVE!!!!)

(w00t) wow so lucky to have so many ther all gorguse :wub:

Very beautiful whippets :wub:

I have a soft spot for Dido for sure but you are welcome to send Brookie & Scarlet express delivery to te UK, they are lovely :wub: :wub:

:wub: What a beautiful collection of whippets :wub:

Thanks so much guys - I certainly love each and every one of them and I am so happy that I can stay home with them every day.

krys

(w00t) blooming heck...i lost count :wacko:

lovely dogs..all of them, il have to re look to pick my favorite :wub:

They are all so lovely... Could you send Charlize, Murphy an Brooks to me... they are just lush :wub: :wub: :wub: Dudley says they are his favourite and he would very much like to have a run around with them :huggles: :huggles:

Emma xxx

Wonderful family of whippies!!! :thumbsup:

They all sound like amazing characters too :D

Hi Krys

Thanks for telling us all about your whippets. It is so nice to hear so much about them and to see their photos. Best of luck with the whelping too. :luck:

Pauline

Mom just got back from coursing late last night - the kids did well - Helen picked up 4 more AKC FC points! She now has 6 points in 5 trials and she finished her SC title! Rupert, Cuda, Bosley & Murphy all picked up LCX points. It was a good weekend and everyone is tired, going to feed them all a nice lunch for running so hard over the weekend.

Thanks for all your comments on our kids!!!

Krys

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back