The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

The Dog Academy

JudyN

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Did anyone watch The Dog Academy on Channel 4 last night? I usually avoid this type of programme, but this one had Victoria Stillwell on, which is a good start.

There was a lot to like about the programme, but the overall impression was that few sessions of scentwork will completely change an 11-year-old cockerpoo who has shown unpredictable aggression and guarding behaviour. There was also a dog-reactive chihuahua who they gave treats 'as rewards' when at a comfortable distance from another dog, but also used treats to distract her when she was kicking off. The editing suggested that by the end of the session, she was now happily making friends with the other dog.

I do wish the programme would make clear that there's a lot more work involved in changing behaviour that has built up over years - nothing is really that simple.

I'm afraid I avoid all such programmes JudyN: I find them very painful to watch. I guess the bottom line is that they are there as entertainment, not as serious advice. Maybe they need a health warning at the beginning and end, recommending what people need to look for in a behaviourist (qualifications etc) and what to avoid (dominance theory etc). I caught a quick glimpse of that 'Dogs Behaving Badly' programme a few months ago and I thought the trainer was awful - his advice (on house training) was so old-fashioned!

I think there could be a case against Graeme Hall (dogs behaving badly) under the animal welfare act. On one of the programmes, in a two dog household, one resource guarded the sofa from the other. The dogs were fighting. So, of course, that makes 'good viewing' so the prat in the cravat (that's the more polite version of his nickname) had to see it ...

The definition of illegal dog fighting is something like arranging a situation where two dogs will fight, for the purposes of entertainment or making money. I rest my case.

The one really good programme was the BBC's Dogs Might Fly. It was absolutely wonderful.

I'm so glad we got rid of the TV. This sort of programme would be very bad for my blood pressure.

I haven't watched Dogs Behaving Badly as I'd already heard bad things about it. Apart from overfacing the reactive chi, The Dog Academy would have been OK if they had just emphasised that it's a long journey, not a magic wand. At least they focused on the people themselves, recognising the hugely inconsistent handling of the cockerpoo by the husband (completely indulgent) and wife (much stricter), and the amount of tension the chi's owner felt - she was herself prone to hiding her soft, more anxious side and presenting a strong, don't-mess-with-me attitude to the world, which the chi reflected rather well.

It's just a shame that they lose so much by editing it for telly. And I don't like how the trainers gasp when they see home vids of the dogs 'misbehaving'. I'm sure they've met a lot of similar behaviour before.

Last edited:
I concur with so much of what’s been stated here. I did watch yesterday’s “Dog Academy” and, certainly not for the first time, was amazed at people’s/owners’ ignorance. I think as Feverfew said, “….they are there as entertainment, not as serious advice”. I don’t mean to sound ‘better than thou’ but I thought that the chihuahua owner was too preoccupied with her own problem rather than the pitiful situation of her dog - cutting across the ‘experts’ ‘ statements and advice. No, I’m going to watch repeats of “I, Claudius”. This Forum does little for my blood pressure but I do enjoy your observations. valete omnes.

No, I’m going to watch repeats of “I, Claudius”.
Or "I, Clavdivs" as we used to call it at school. Off topic, sorry...

Talking of TV dog programmes, I was sad to see that Paul O'Grady passed away - I do like the POGDOGS programme and wonder what they'll do next.

Reactions: RGC
I confess I've never watched any of his dog-related programmes, but he did a lot of good. And still does, in a way - his tribute fund for Battersea Dogs Home has rasied over £100,000.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back