The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Why does my dog do this?

Libraluck

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My dog is a 7 year old male bichon frise. I have a neice and nephew who both have type 1 diabetes and every time he see them he growls.

I also had a friend round a few years back (also type 1)and every time she would come to the house he acted the same.

Today my neice went over to him to stroke him, he growled at first and went she got a bit closer with her hand he barked at her aggressively. He isn't aggressive with anyone else, nor does he display this behaviour at any other point so naturally we have came to the conclusion that because they all have diabetes that some how it must all be related, could be wrong of course but just curious.

Does anyone have any ideas?

It's highly likely he is picking up on the diabetes, there will be a trace of a scent.

But, please, please learn about dog body language. You don't say how old your niece is, hopefully old enough to understand that she MUST NOT get into his space. He is saying, very clearly, that he isn't comfortable with that. He asked her to back off but she ignored that and got closer, so he had to 'shout louder '.

Dogs give a series of signals that they are unhappy, but unfortunately most people don't recognise them because they can be quite subtle. To begin with there is often wide eyes, lip licking and yawning. There is also muscular tension in the body. Then the ones we sometimes do see - growl, snarl, nip then bite. If the early signals are not seen (or, in the dog's view, ignored) he won't bother with them because us stupid humans pay no attention anyway; so he may go straight to the bite. So it's important never to ignore the early signals or reprimand the dog for giving them; stopping the dog from giving them would be like taking the battery out of a smoke alarm.

But the good thing is that a dog will look for ways to de-escalate where possible. If you want to read more, the writer Turid Rugaas is a good source.

This is a very good video about dogs and children too -

Hi Joanne.

Thanks for your concern but I was just asking a question regarding why he would act this way around people with diabetes and if anyone has knowledge on that specifically. I feel as though you have come to the conclusion that I might not already know about other behaviours etc.

I am aware of dog body language especially that of my own dog. The very question I asked is something I don't have knowledge of, hence why I asked and by your reply it looks like you don't have the answer either.

I have two children myself and my dog has been round numerous people including other children and only acts this way around said people with said condition.

I feel as though you have come to the conclusion that I might not already know about other behaviours etc.
I'm sorry you feel like I overstepped the mark, but I felt it was important to mention, as you said he growled at your niece yet she still went closer to him. If it saves her from being bitten, it was worth saying.

And -

by your reply it looks like you don't have the answer either.

It's highly likely he is picking up on the diabetes, there will be a trace of a scent.

I think JoanneF was responding to your comment that after the dog had growled at your niece, she still went closer, hence him getting more uncomfortable.

Dogs can detect changing blood sugar levels and can alert someone with diabetes when they are too low. Assuming your nephew, niece and friend have well-controlled blood sugar levels, then I guess your dog is picking up some other marker of the condition and recognising it as being 'not right' and therefore worrying.

I'm not sure if it's possible to persuade him otherwise, so they might just need to respect his boundaries when they are with you. Simply through them doing that, he may become more comfortable with them in time.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back