The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Would a dog miss its owner or bonded dog more?

PaxandPais

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
We have had one dog for a year now and just before Christmas we got a second dog as extra company for him. We are now finding two really hard and looking at the possibility of rehoming them or one of them. Would a dog miss its owner more or its bonded pair? We know if we keep them both they are not getting the time and attention they deserve.

I'm sorry you're in this position. What particular aspects are you finding hard about having two dogs? Was your first dog doing OK as an only dog before you got the second one?

Without knowing the dogs, I'd say that the one who has lived with you for a year, most as an only dog, would find a change of owner much harder than losing their new mate. It could also be very difficult to find someone who would be willing to take on a pair of dogs, and if a rescue took them in, they may well end up rehoming them separately.

If the two dogs do seem particularly bonded, and if your original dog is much happier now they have a friend, I'm wondering if we could suggest anything that might make it possible for you to keep both, e.g. using a dog walker on occasion.

We have 3 children between 10 - 3 which is a handful in itself. My husband works long hours so I would be the one trying to juggle it all and get the dogs out for walks, which can be tough.

They don't get enough attention because as soon you go to sit with them they jump all over you and each other and go crazy, the new one especially is full of beans.

Our first was fine before, I just felt like we had busy schedules and didn't want him to ever feel lonely.

We do have a potential that wants to adopt both but I don't know if can let the first go or if I'm being selfish. I wish I knew what what he would prefer, to be with the new pup or us. The new one is really sensitive so I feel needs lots of love and attention but it's hard to give one on one when you have two.

Thank you for your advise!

If your first dog seemed happy beforehand - e.g. didn't cry when you went out - then he was probably fine and didn't need a companion. And if the new one needs lots of attention, they may also be happier as a single dog. So - and this of course can only be based on the picture I've got - is that the best solution is probably to rehome the new one. Do, of course, be careful who you let him go to, and vet the new owner as thoroughly as a really good rescue organisation would.

If the first dog always went a bit crazy when you sat down, we might be able to suggest ways of enouraging him to interact with you and your family in more calm ways? There are some fun interactive games that encourage a dog to think, or he could be rewarded for sitting calmly on your lap or next to you while you're watching telly, or so on. You could also reward the chilren for doing 5 mins training with him at some point in the day!

It's through a rehoming site and they do quite thorough checks, you get to meet on a few occasions first, a WhatsApp group is created between the rehoming company, us and the new potential owner too.

The first is very good, he's a labradoodle, more lab. A big softy. The new is a cocker spaniel and constantly goes crazy, just excitable, and doesn't like you to stroke the first and fights for the attention. I just feel awful either way I just feel like the new one deserves better, more quality time, I just don't want to make the wrong decision for the first as I'm sure he would truly miss his new companion but believe he would also miss us too. I feel no decision is a good decision but want to make the best one.

I'd say the best decision is still a good one, not a bad one :) It's always easy with hindsight to say that you didn't make the best decision, much harder to make the right decision in the first place - and you couldn't tell in advance what the dynamics between the two dogs would be like. I certainly made a mistake when choosing our dog (now passed) as a pup, and if I had young children or a full-time job outside the house I'd definitely not have been able to keep him.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back