Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Papa

Palm oil on shore

9 posts in this topic

Just got a text tonight warning me about Irvine shore. The person kens I excercise my dogs down there and told me there was a warning about toxic palm oil being washed up on the shore. I have no way just now of knowing if this is true or not, but it seems it has been appearing on other shorelines as far away as Cornwall. Just to let other dog owners know, and if its on Irvine shore then I can only assume the whole coastal area must be affected.

Hi I have heard the same apparently on some vets facebook page, causes diarrhoea and sickness and can be fatal. Also heard of poisonous parsnips found on or near beaches, the root looks very similar to parsnips and it has a white flower. A dog 5 miles from me was out for a walk and started fitting after being in contact with the plant was in the newspapers that it had died within half hour and the other dog has organ damage. Going to stay away from these areas not worth the chance as mine always chewing on grass

It seems some dogs have died of having contact with this palm oil, and others have been quite ill. It looks like a piece of white polystyrene, but when you get closer to it it is solid and does not have the wee individual units of the shapes that make up the polystyrene. It also has a smell, some say, like the old firelighters? I've been keeping off the shore just in case.

Well finally came across some and its exactly as described. Solid heavy lump of white stuff, and feeling and looking like the old style firelighters. Found three large pieces about four or five pounds each in weight, scattered along a length of the shore about 300 yards long. Got the dogs on the lead and left the shore up onto the beach park where we were safe from any of the toxic material. Met another dog walker and he said a friend of his had a run-in with the stuff and his dog's face had started swelling, don't know the final outcome. I would have thought the local authorities would have been on the scene, but never saw a soul, and I was wanting to report the location of where it was lying.

I was on the beach at Irvine today, and after reading about the palm oil I took a bin bag with me, intending to collect and dispose of any pieces I found but didn't see any. It didn't put me off walking there as every report about it says it smells like firelighters or diesel, why on earth would a dog eat that? I know some breeds, like labs, are known for eating anything but hounds tend to be more discerning. Now if it smelled like dung I'd have been a lot more careful :D

DSCF9537_zps8f351f5b.jpg

DSCF9574_zps0248e77d.jpg

Edited by Chaumsong

Your dogs are gorgeous, might eventually bump into you at some point. Yeah I know what you mean by the smell, but my dog had a go at licking it and I was shouting like a maniac at it, poor wee thing wondered what was happening, it was me that was out of control. The pieces I saw were from the bottom car park walk straight through the dunes on to the shore, turn left towards Troon, then you come upon a large telegraph pole with a diamond shape on it, can't miss it, twenty yards before it and 100 to 200 yards after it there were large pieces lying.

my dog had a go at licking it

Oh that's more worrying then, I wonder why they're attracted to it?

It's not a great photo but I think this is the telegraph pole you mean, so I did walk past there, it sounds like someone else cleared it up. Hopefully if people are looking out for it and bin it if they see it the beach will stay safe.

DSCF8636_zpsccc869cb.jpg

Edited by Chaumsong

No its not the pole, its a good quarter of a mile further on towards Barassie. Its the other car park I was talking about, and its right up against the high tide marks beside the dunes. It may have been cleared-up by now, but I don't know for sure as I am now sticking to the areas behind the dunes, plenty of great walking areas there. The good thing is though most people seem to be aware of it now, and it's a talking point between many dog walkers.

1 person likes this

yes thanks mate was good seeing you and your 2 gorg girls thanks for the warning as we are not from this area we would never have known good 2 know all dog walkers are looking out for each other you would think some 1 would be doing something about this by now must say the walk is awesome though

THE BLUE GANG xxxxxxxxxxx

1 person likes this