The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Best Whippet in the ring ever

Karen

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Right comon you guys, Put a name on here, IYO, The best dog/bitch you have ever seen in the ring, does not have to be a champion but you must say why this is your choice. Im going away to lay down and think about this ???

Lastly no slagging off other peoples choices.

hi Karen

Just thought I would add my opinion, the best whippet for me would have to be Ch Dyanne Dondelayo, seeing this bitch in the ring took my breath away she was elegant, graceful and last but not least, she was the one who made me look at whippets in a differant light -----------due to her I purchased my very first whippet , been trying to breed one like her ever since!!!!!

Rubywhip ;) ???

My opinion maybe biast as I have Nevedith dogs but when I saw

CH Nutshell of Nevedith at Crufts she was my defernition of the perfect Dog/Whippet I cant really explain why but she had a presence that shone and set my standard of what I want to aim for.

Ian

Hi, I've not been showing for as long as some of you, so haven't seen some of the excellent whippets, that you others can remember.

Ch Nimrodel Zenith would have to be my choice, that dog was stunning.

I also thought, Spyanfly Say It's Bardo looked stunning at Crufts this year. I know she did very well, but she would have been my choice for Group and B.I.S.

Lyd

I liked Zenith also Lydia.

My all time favourite and Im still deciding as I type would be,,,,,,Nutshell, for all round excellence.

I liked Nutshell too but I think to say it is the best dog you have ever seen you have also got to want to take it home and I didn't want to take Nutshell home. I think Eefa Empress is lovely as well, took my eye from the first time I saw her as a Minor Puppy but I still don't want to take her home. I think my first choice would have to be Int/Multi Ch Nec du Manoir de la Grenouillere because he stopped me in my tracks when I saw him at Crufts last year and when he moved ............. he was breathtaking and just my colour! I WOULD have taken him home!

Well my favourite is Single Malt. I havent been showing too long but find that watching Shaun in the ring is seeing a dog that really enjoys what he is doing and he has the charisma that commands tha attention of judges.

I also like Dumbriton Casting Stone (Shaun's son) who IMO is a very promising youngster - he 'blew me away' a the Houndshow 2002 hence the reason we used him at stud.

The bitches must be Nutshell who one cannot say too much about as it has all been said already.

Also the wonderful Panning for Gold was a treat to watch in the ring.

Having viewed some of the old dogs (pre my time in the ring) I would have loved to see Black Night of Carmodian and Akeferry Jimmy - mind I did see him at Nev's once when we went to buy a pup.

Dawn

if all it takes to make a dog great is charisma, then we may all have a great dog at home surely it also takes confirmation, confidence, movement and breed type?

Rubywhip

Hi Rubywhip

if all it takes to make a dog great is charisma, then we may all have a great dog at home surely it also takes confirmation, confidence, movement and breed type?
I am sure Single Malt has more than just charisma to be the Dog CC record holder :b

Last edited by a moderator:
Dawn

I certainly know that Ch Khabaray Single Malt has charisma as I spotted it at a very eary age (I bred him) but that is not his only quality, as there are many dogs out there with charisma that have never been in the showring!

Selecting shaun just for his charisma is selling him short!!!

Rubywhip

Selecting shaun just for his charisma is selling him short
Well Well

The point I was making is that it is partly Shaun's charisma which sets him apart from other Champions. When he is 'showing' not only is he an excellent specimen but additionally his charisma ensures that he shows himself off to his full potential, particularly when Patsy gets him moving. A lot of the quality is in the way he has been handled as I have seen others handle him and he did not look at his best. It is noted, by numerous exhibitors, that he stares at the judge daring him (or her) to ignore Shaun at their peril :D

Surely the charisma point is something you agree with from when you were a Baggage handler!!

Dawn

Dawn

I would like to think that both Shaun and Baggage, would be remembered for more than being able to stare a judge in the eye!!!!

Rubywhip

I'm going back a good few years now, but I still think Barbara Wilton-Clark's (as she was) Sequence was the quintessential whippet. Perhaps now she would be considered a shade too stuffy but, when you look at the old photographs she had this really beautiful head and front. A second choice would have to be the Kennetts' Another Lady.

Modern day, I too come out in favour of Pauline's Say Its Bardot . Loved her the moment I first saw her and she has only improved - wish she was mine!

Panning for gold was an excellent often slightly overshadowed bitch and would be up there in my top 5.

Dawn, I know exactly what you mean about Shaun, there have been better dogs in part than him but he had that look at me style and seemed to enjoy ever minute in the ring with his mum.

:D Not having been in the breed that long, there is one that has always stayed in my mind SILKSTONE JEWEL IN THE CROWN just a shame what happened ???

I have been showing in Australia for 30 years. I really don't want to pick one as the best I have ever seen in the ring (I don't think I could!) but I would like to tell the story of the dog that 'said' to me "You must have a whippet" - I was fourteen years old and I saw English and Australian Champion Dondelayo Statue win a Best in Show in Sydney. I could not tell you now what other breeds were in the line up with him that day. All I saw was him. I was transfixed. I can not even tell you what were his greatest confirmation points either or how he moved exactly. All I know is that he took my breath away. He owned that ring, there was nothing else there - so I think in a way that says a lot for ring presence. He and his handler, Brian McCowage, as a total package, made an indelible impression on me and I came away from that show knowing that whippets were the breed for me. Looking back at pictures of him now - I wouldn't say that he is my ideal whippet - but he was the one that stole my heart and led me to this breed that I adore so much!

As a result of seeing Jewel in the crown I bought my first Silkstone. Liked her alot.

After admiring Zenith, and his son, I'm proud to say I've got a Zenith granddaughter, lying at my feet as I type.....

Lyd

I must say that at the South Yorkshire Whippet Show I went to in October last year - Ch Cobyco Call the Tune impressed me a great deal. I liked her size, I liked her movement very much and I liked her overall shape. She is feminine but with strength and elegance combined. Even if she had not won that day she would have been my pick.

Glad you enjoyed the SYWC show Aslan. We try to make it an enjoyable day out for all exhibitors and visitors. As for Call The Tune I saw her as a real baby and thought how nice she was, so glad to see she has done so well for Lynn.

Dawn

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back