The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Breeding my whippet

Whinpin

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone it as been a long time since I last posted on here.
I require your help please my beautiful 3 year old Whippet is going to a stud on Tuesday. The stud dog is also a Whippet.
We have never had a dog that we have let have pups before. Rosie has had a health check at the vets who said she is in top condition and should have no problems (fingers crossed). My question is when a dog is pregnant do we feed her extra food the vet said 4 weeks before she is due to give birth feed her on puppy food because it is very rich. Do we feed her more or just stick to her normal amount of food?

Also do we need to do to prepare for puppy's. We have got a whelping box sorted but what do we put in the box for her to lay on to give birth?

Sorry for the long post but we want to be prepare. I have read so many article but everyone is different. Lovely people on here have helped me before when Rosie was a naughty puppy.
I am sure I will be back with more question.

Attachments

• 20240319_122908.jpg
    20240319_122908.jpg
    655.7 KB · Views: 5,576
It's a big important subject that can't be answered properly in a few posts. I suggest you get hold of "The Book of the Bitch" by I forget who, and read around the subject. R. Portman-Graham has written The Mating and Whelping of Dogs, which is out of print n ow but you may be able to find a copy. Also ask the breeder you had your whippet from. Maybe they will be willing to mentor you. And if you work outside the home, you are going to need at least 6 weeks off.

Good luck and we love photos when the pups arrive.

Thank you my husband is retired so we have got that covered or else we would not be doing this. I will try to get the book thanks

Another consideration. Is the stud dog (and his owner) experienced? You really don't want it to be a first experience for everyone.

It's great that she has been checked by the vet, are you happy that the stud owner has also had the relevant tests carried out (see below for what to look for) and that he is clear of STDs?

The owner of the stud dog is one of our friends dog. Blue and Rosie are similar in height and build and he has been used has a stud a few times now. They both have been health checked by the vet. We were just waiting for Rosie to come in to season. We have decided once Rosie has had her puppies and everything is settled down she will be spayed. The vet said roughly 5 months after the birth.

I'd recommend her having a season after the birth, to settle her hormones down after all the upheaval. Often bitches will come in season again when the pups are about 12 weeks old, so keep an eye out for that.

I'd recommend her having a season after the birth, to settle her hormones down after all the upheaval. Often bitches will come in season again when the pups are about 12 weeks old, so keep an eye out for that.
Thank you I will let her have a season after tge birth.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back