The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog and teen son

MelanieK

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi
I’m after some advice . Firstly, I’m trying my best to make this work and help our dog be settled- I just ask for advice , not criticism. If I’m doing something wrong I appreciate any advice given.
We have a Labrador , he’s 2 , we have had him about a 2 months now . He came from a home with children and other dogs . He sleeps in a crate , he used to sleep in a kennel outside at his old home . Here , he has the run of the house - we don’t lock him away - the crate is his safe space to sleep.
All was well. I have a 14 year old son , autistic so may be relevant ( can speak in different pitches , bounce as he walks ) and 2 girls aged 9 and 11 . He settled in so well , he’s the most lovable boy . On walks he’s excellent , he showed no signs of aggression or anything. Then one night , I moved his crate to put the Xmas tree up and in hindsight it was moved to a corner of the room where he may have felt claustrophobic, previously it was in the middle and he could see the door and the whole room . I now realise this could have caused him stress and I am regretful and moved it back and he was calmer . The night we moved it my son ( 14 ) was in the kitchen opposite with me and all of a sudden the dog started growling , a low growl , whilst looking at my son. I said no to him and then he stopped and when my son went over after he jumped at his crate barking ( again I realise he shouldn’t have gone near his crate after and I shouldn’t have scolded him - I had advice after that made me realise I probably made the situation worse ) . So we moved the crate back and the next morning when my son came down he did low growl again as he walked in and out past the crate ( not close ) . We have since worked with him , we have had my son downstairs more as we thought maybe because the rest of the family are always around and my son spends a lot of time upstairs he might no recognise my son as part of the family and might think he’s a stranger coming into the house . We have him space - my son did not approach him - and my son went on walks , we made sure he could see my son preparing food etc but still he has growled a few times when he’s in his crate and my son is walking past .
It’s making my son scared , it’s the noise he doesn’t like and I also think the way my son is now quite nervy may make the dog anxious too.
I’m obviously nervous with him around my son now , people have told me the growl is a warning and that more than anything he’s probably scared , but I feel like my feelings are affecting the situation. This morning my husband wasn’t here ( he’s growled about 6 times now and only one was when my husband was here but we don’t know if he actually saw my husband when he did it , the dog is obsessed with my husband and is calmer when he’s around and I feel like it’s when he’s not here he does it ) so this morning because he growled ( only a small growl , ears were low , only when my son walked past - before that he could see my son in the kitchen and was watching him and blinking slowly at him - it’s not like he went alert and aggressive when he growled if that makes sense ) but because it was just me and my son I left him in his crate whilst my son had breakfast until he went out because I was worried and I don’t like leaving him in there for anything other than sleeping .

My husband thinks he may be protecting me and because my son is very tall , and unpredictable - sometimes he is downstairs interacting , sometimes just stays in his room all night - that the dog is unsure so when my husband isn’t here it’s like he has to protect me and sees my son as a danger somehow . I don’t know , I’m trying to learn but I am not an expert .
Last night I was working at a local club , very quiet club , my husband takes the dog there and he bought him whilst I was there ( my son was there too and he was around him, taking no notice ) but I was behind the bar serving a man and the dog was looking over and when the man approached the bar he looked quite alert and didn’t take his eyes off him , when the man left the bar he lay back down. Later , I was outside with him and my husband and a man came out carrying things - the dog immediately ran over to me and stood in front of me , no aggression or growiling but then kept running between me and the man , then just walking up and down near me , until the man had walked over to his car and couldn’t be seen and then he sat calmly. At that point my husband said it looked like he was anxious about strangers being around me .

When he is out of his crate he’s fine , he will approach my son less than everyone else but he will approach him and have fuss off him , lay down by his feet etc . He did bark and growl once , didn’t go toward him or anything , but this was when my son was sat on the chair behind him and absent mindedly kind of stroked him with his foot and I think he poked his bottom ! He just turned and barked , ran over to my husband and turned and looked at my son , lay down and did a low growl and my husband just kind of said it’s ok and stroked him . Then he was fine .

Any advice with this ? I don’t want my son or my dog unhappy and I don’t want my son at risk - I haven’t seen aggression but the growling unnerves me and I don’t know how to approach this . We have spoke to my son about not putting his feet on him , waiting for the dog to come to him etc .

So just to clarify, the crate is in the kitchen and the dog only growls when he is in the crate and your son is in the kitchen? How is your son's eye contact - could he be looking at the dog in a certain way, e.g. a fixed stare?

Have you tried using treats to help your dog warm to your son, and if so, how has this gone? (NB it's never a good idea to use food to make a dog approach someone they're nervous of as it puts the dog in a difficult situation.) And how about games/training? Are there any games the dog enjoys that your son could play with him?

So just to clarify, the crate is in the kitchen and the dog only growls when he is in the crate and your son is in the kitchen? How is your son's eye contact - could he be looking at the dog in a certain way, e.g. a fixed stare?

Have you tried using treats to help your dog warm to your son, and if so, how has this gone? (NB it's never a good idea to use food to make a dog approach someone they're nervous of as it puts the dog in a difficult situation.) And how about games/training? Are there any games the dog enjoys that your son could play with him?

The crate is in the centre of the living area - so it’s between the living room and dining room and the dining room faces the kitchen ( it’s all open plan ) so the dog can see the whole space . The first time it happened I had moved the crate to the corner of the dining room so he was facing the kitchen but it’s now moved back to the centre so he faces the living room door . When it has happened , it has been in both places and it’s been when my son has walked past him . My son wasn’t staring at him , he was looking away. Yes we have tried treats and it’s gone well , he takes treats very gently from him .

It’s not happened when he has been out of his crate ( aside from when my son decided to stroke him with his foot and the poor dog jumped growled slightly and barked at him - but moved away from him - as I think he touched his bottom and he did not like it!

Just now , my son was coming downstairs and the dog barked as he heard him but as soon as he saw it was my son he stopped and then ran to get his toy and take it over to my son

I'm wondering if the crate being in the centre of the area isn't great, as he can feel exposed from all sides. The difficulty is, of course, that moving it might unsettle him more. It might be better in a position where people have to walk straight past it to get to the kitchen, rather than approaching him, if that makes sense.

Is he absolutely fine when anyone else comes downstairs or enters the kitchen, even before he sees them?

I'm wondering if the crate being in the centre of the area isn't great, as he can feel exposed from all sides. The difficulty is, of course, that moving it might unsettle him more. It might be better in a position where people have to walk straight past it to get to the kitchen, rather than approaching him, if that makes sense.

Is he absolutely fine when anyone else comes downstairs or enters the kitchen, even before he sees them?
Maybe , but when I moved it before that’s when it started .

He will sometimes bath when he hears people come in and always if the door knocks / post . I am wondering if he recognises our footsteps but not my son as sometimes he may calmly walk down, sometimes jumping etc .

Today he barked as my son came in the door ( not seen him ) but stopped when my son called out “ it’s me silly “ . I am thinking he has some anxieties going on . Today my husband went to the shop and the whole time the dog just clung to me or ran to the door cried and came back. No tail wagging , just dropped ears , dropped tail and his heart was going so fast , as soon as my husband came back he was fine . ( one good thing is it was me him and my son and he didn’t bat an eyelid at my son .

I'm wondering if he had anxiety issues in his former home, whether it started when he moved in with you, or was purely initiated by moving the crate. It's interesting that he also struggles when your husband leaves the house. Has he reacted like this before?

It might be best for you to get a behaviourist in who can look at the layout of your home, and see his behaviour and body language in different situations. but you would need to choose carefully - anyone can set themselves up as a behaviourist, with no qualifications, and there are son=me bad ones out there using old-fashioned approaches that could well make the situation worse. If you want to go down this route, we might be able to 'vet' ones you're considering if they have an online presence.

Possibly he just needs more time to settle in - 2 months isn't that long, so he may just need more time. But I understand you don't really just want to let things go on as they are as he is growling at your son.

Maybe someone else has some ideas?

I wonder if the whole household is just a bit more stressed, with Christmas coming. When I say stressed, I don't mean in a bad way, just there are different things happening, maybe different smells, overall raised levels of excitement? Maybe more coming and going (parcels arriving, people visiting)?

If your dog is a sensitive soul, all the upheaval so soon after thinking he has learned the household rules might be upsetting him.

Thank you .

I was scared at first and thought I would have to rehome him , I instantly assumed growling was aggression and I was confused as other than that he is so loving! But he has never done anything like it outside of his crate and I am seeing that he is actually really anxious.
The behaviourist is something I have thought of , my son is spending a lot more time around him now and he hasn’t growled since I posted but I am seeing anxiety in him when my husband leaves - I’m also seeing jealousy I think . If I cuddle my husband he tries to get between us - but he is not negative toward me x

I instantly assumed growling was aggression

Oh no, definitely not the same thing. Growling is simply a communication, and it's an important one. He is telling you he is uncomfortable about something, and there are several reasons why you don't want to switch that off.

For one, stopping a dog from growling would be like taking the battery out of a smoke alarm. Yes, you can make it stop, but really, you don't want to.

Another reason is that if you stop the growl, he might need to try to tell you more clearly that he isn't happy. That's usually by escalating his message to something you will understand more clearly. That could be a snarl, nip or bite.

The early signals that he is unhappy might be tension through his ears, wide eyes, licking lips, yawning or raising a paw. Watch out for these, and if you see he is uncomfortable help him to get out of the situation, or make it stop for him. When he sees you will deal with things that make him uncomfortable, he will turn to you to take care of things so he doesn't need to.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back