The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog cancer help

gee1111

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi
Im a long standing pro dog carer. One of my clients, Nelly, has just been diagnosed with cancer. Her people have put her on chemo which I dont feel comfortable with but there isnt anything I can do about that...but Im suggesting to them to maybe supplement the chemo with something alternative. I have an inkling thc or cbd might be good. Please submit any expertise you can. Many thanks

I know this sounds harsh but they are her people not you they have to make this decision and bear the consequences.
Alternative therapies are great for relieving pain or additional discomforts but they are no replacement for traditional medically scientifically proved treatments.
The best thing for this dog is to live her absolute best life for as long as it lasts..

I agree with Mad Murphy. The majority of 'alternative'/'complementary' remedies have not been scientifically researched, at least not to any good standard, and not to assess possible harm. I wish the dog all the very best.

My intentions were only good. It is well known that chemo can have even fatal side effects and supplementing the treatment with certain natural remedies (which I was exploring iro dogs) can help against such side effects. This has often been the case in humans who have gone on to free themselves of the cancer. The supplement has been a part of this healing. You would have to dig a bit deeper than the mainstream narative to uncover these successes. Yes I found your responses harsh and unhelpful.

I'm sorry if that's how our replies come over, gee1111 - there are plenty of people who swear by complementary/alternative medicine, and of course we want to give our pets the best chance of longer, good-quality life. The difficulty is that when you do dig deep, as well as finding what looks like evidence of the risks or chemo or benefits of other approaches, it quite often turns out to be the case that the people who funded the research were involved in the complementary/alternative business. It is really hard to get at the truth, which is why I say this is my opinion. But it is one I believe.

My friend had a french bull dog who had chemo treatment and it gave her 2 years of quality life afterwards ....

Each case will be different. My Jimmy was on chemo, it didn't work for him and there were some side effects, so we took him off it and went for other medication. He had a decent quality of life during this period.

I have used various non-drug remedies under strong supervision from my holistic vet, which eased the process until there was no more to be done. In the case of my dogs, they were all old when they developed cancer, and my decision was for palliative care only.

Can I just add, also as a dog carer, that you have to maintain a level of professionalism when caring for other peoples dogs. There may well be times when you'd like to suggest something or you personally don't agree with something BUT unless you are asked for advice you really have to respect the owners wishes because at the end of the day these dogs are not ours, no matter how long we've cared for them or how much we love them... The best you could maybe do is if they tell you she is struggling with side effects of chemo then suggest they could research something like CBD for themselves, then it is up to them... You have to remember they are going to be worried about their dog and wanting to do the best for her, it's not really our place to suggest they could be doing things better or different, even if privately you feel that...

Complementary therapies, are just that, complementary, they can be used to complement other therapies, but should be used under advisement of a professional.

Can I just add, also as a dog carer, that you have to maintain a level of professionalism when caring for other peoples dogs. There may well be times when you'd like to suggest something or you personally don't agree with something BUT unless you are asked for advice you really have to respect the owners wishes because at the end of the day these dogs are not ours, no matter how long we've cared for them or how much we love them... The best you could maybe do is if they tell you she is struggling with side effects of chemo then suggest they could research something like CBD for themselves, then it is up to them... You have to remember they are going to be worried about their dog and wanting to do the best for her, it's not really our place to suggest they could be doing things better or different, even if privately you feel that...

Complementary therapies, are just that, complementary, they can be used to complement other therapies, but should be used under advisement of a professional.

I take an interest in the dogs I care for and this is mostly appreciated. I dont need you to lecture me. And btw the dogs belong to themseves, not owners.

I'm afraid I think @Flobo is right though. Much as you care for other people's dogs, it's up to their owners to make decisions regarding their care (and, legally they are owners, whether we like it or not).

Nobody is lecturing you, you asked for advice - you may not like everything that is said but that doesn't make it poor advice.

@gee1111 I'm sorry if you felt I was lecturing you, that was not my intention at all... as a dog carer of many years myself I have had to recognise the fine line we walk. If you suggest something in relation to a dogs care and that dog then gets worse, whether it is related or not, how will you feel and how will the dog's guardians feel, would you potentially want this scenario to affect your relationship with both?
I was merely saying yes suggest things if asked but word it in such a way that the dog's guardian can then research your suggestion and act upon it if they then wish...

Just log out for now.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back