The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Forum changes

JudyN

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Regulars will have noticed that there's been a few changes to the forum layout, and the forum owners, Josie and Oli, are planning some more changes in the days/weeks ahead. If you have any ideas for what would benefit the forum, please do let us know! A few thoughts:

What sections could be removed or combined?

Do we actually need the existing separate sections for different breeds/types of dogs?

What new sections would you like to see?

How do you browse the forum? I tend to use 'New Posts', so often don't notice what section a post is in, and rarely look at the front page of the forum.

There are short cuts on the front page for 'Latest', 'Popular' and 'Diaries'. Is this useful, or does it just mean you have to scroll down further?

Any more thoughts for how the forum could be improved?

Oh, and in the meantime, go easy on the smilies.... the basic faces seem OK, but at least some of the others come out enormous - I've let Oli know!

I also tend to just use "New Posts” but I notice the little lightning button takes you to ”Latest Posts” so you need to then click ”New Posts” to actually get to the new ones - maybe that could be changed so we can do it in the one click.

I also tend to just use "New Posts” but I notice the little lightning button takes you to ”Latest Posts” so you need to then click ”New Posts” to actually get to the new ones - maybe that could be changed so we can do it in the one click.
You had me puzzled for a moment there, but then I remembered you browse on your phone/tablet.

I also tend to use the "new posts" but find the list sometimes a bit too short to show the whole list of a new day's messages.

I usually use the shortcuts 'latest' on the front page and then go to the 'new posts' bit.
I think it might be quite nice to have a specific section for seniors maybe, like we have for puppies. Some dogs go through a fair amount of changes when elderly so it might be helpful to have say the info on canine dementia, other issues and chats all in one place. I'd quite like to see the 'Memory to the ones we love' a bit easier to find, maybe a specific bereavement section?
I have to remember also, too many changes may well fry my brain... I panicked, a tiny bit, when I saw the note saying forum closed for a re-jig!! : 0
Also how do you find specific bits of info, like the Rom dog bit then link it in a post so it goes blue? Is it witch craft??

Btw, the word 'friendly' on the top black bar is spelt wrong... it's spelt 'freindly' up there!

Has that always been there? Is that the shortcuts you meant? Eek...

Maybe I have used the wrong words and maybe what I am talking about should be the "Latest".
"Great", a section for seniors why not. Modern technology is fine for the younger members who quiet possibly had computers from a much younger age, but when I was at school we were not even aloud calculators in class. We had to know how to use our own brains, (not that that helped me much ! )
.I HATE CHANGES.:(

I before E except after C.

Oh and by the way, I much prefer the old clearer emogos

but when I was at school we were not even aloud calculators in class. We had to know how to use our own brains, (not that that helped me much ! )
.I HATE CHANGES.:(

Think of the changes as something else to get you using your own brain! It's good for you!

Reactions: RGC
@excuseme (I was just going to say what Judy just said!) I'm sure it'll be fine and it is good to tax the brain sometimes, just don't panic, yet!!

Btw, the word 'friendly' on the top black bar is spelt wrong... it's spelt 'freindly' up there!

Has that always been there? Is that the shortcuts you meant? Eek...

Haha, I hadn't noticed that - I wonder how long it's been there!

By shortcuts I mean the ones that read 'Latest', 'Popular' and 'Diaries' on the front page of the forum, on the left-hand side. It defaults to 'Latest', but I'm not sure if anyone would feel a need to click on 'Popular' and 'Diaries'.

I'll see what Josie and Oli think about the idea of a section for older dogs. I can see the advantages, but the more sections there are the harder it is to navigate, and people wouldn't necessarily know if what they were seeing in their dog was age related - that's often the case with the first signs of canine cognitive dementia, for instance.

I feel like you are starting to gang up on me :(

Not at all, excuseme - have you ever moved house and found all of a sudden you have to think just to make a cup of coffee? (Now where's the fridge again?) Just give it a few days, and see how you feel then.

Some great suggestions here, thank you all, please keep them coming.

Also how do you find specific bits of info, like the Rom dog bit then link it in a post so it goes blue? Is it witch craft??

That specific on is in the 'Useful Links & Recommended Reading' in the Behaviour and Training section. So what you'd need to do is go to that section and the Useful Links bit, then click on the article you want. Copy the url at the top of the page, and paste into your post: https://dogforum.co.uk/threads/romanian-and-other-street-dogs.94450/

Now, previously, that link would have appeared as Romanian and other street dogs, but it seems now you have to jump through an extra hoop to do that - click the icon showing two links of a chain at the top of your posting box, and paste the url & type how you want it to appear in the little box that pops up. I don't know if that can be changed back, but I can ask Oliver.

I'd quite like to see the 'Memory to the ones we love' a bit easier to find, maybe a specific bereavement section?

Yes, agreed - at the moment it's just one thread, which doesn't make it easy to find, but separate threads should also work. I'm thinking a new section at the end of the front page, below General Discussions & Lounge. For me. 'A Memory to Those We Loved' doesn't seem quite right (we all have lots of memories). Maybe 'Remembering Those We Loved'?

I also think we should change the line under General Discussions & Lounge from 'Discuss anything NON dog related' as much of it does still relate to dogs, but is more general and chatty than the General Dog Forum in Help and Discussion. Maybe 'Discuss anything non-dog related or chat about your pets'? We do have a bit of overlap though - what posts about other pets should go in this section as opposed to the Other Animals section?

One things for sure - there will always be grey areas, so it pays not to overthink it too much ;) Oh, and the 'picture' smilies seem to work OK now, and not fill the whole page:emoji_dog2::emoji_champagne_glass:

The simpler the better gets my vote!

I like 'Remembering those we loved' ( that's reminded me I have something to share on there)

To be honest there's probably a lot on the old format that I never discovered or used much, so if the main page keeps the 'latest' bit and 'new post bits' with easy access I think us technologically impaired would be happy with that, do you agree @excuseme ? The rest I'm happy to noodle around when it's changed, I'll probably get lost, but happy to ask for help.

@JudyN The General Discussions and Lounge bit, does it have to specify 'non dog related'? To me it implies a more informal chat about anything in the title. Saying that I think I've used the Cafe bit when I've wanted to do informal chat about dogs. To be honest I have no sense of direction so maybe it's best not to listen to me on how I try and navigate anything!! Hahaha, I remember how long it took me to work out and remember how to do a new post in a particular section and then find it again a few days later!

I like the 'other animals' bit, but that's only because I use that for my ferret catch ups and I know where it is!!:rolleyes::cool:

he General Discussions and Lounge bit, does it have to specify 'non dog related'?

No, that's what I think we should drop - so it's just a more informal area, which still might incorporate dog stuff.

How on earth do I delete a quote from a message that I was going to post? !!

OK, it looks as if it has gone ?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back