The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Gathering Legal Information (UK only) - Please help if you can

You can have collars made with the necessary details but you cannot just write it on as it could rub off.

Remember, it makes sense to have both your mobile and landline number on the tag, and also your partner's if applicable. There's no point anyone ringing your landline if you're out looking for the dog, and no point ringing your mobile if you're in the middle of nowhere with no signal (or you forgot to charge it or left it at home).

Remember, it makes sense to have both your mobile and landline number on the tag, and also your partner's if applicable. There's no point anyone ringing your landline if you're out looking for the dog, and no point ringing your mobile if you're in the middle of nowhere with no signal (or you forgot to charge it or left it at home).
Yeah i will put both on. :)

what the law states and and what the law polices are two different things.... my boy is chipped and his collar tag state surname and both mine and hubbies mobile numbers.. i don`t put my full address on my dogs tag for my own security reasons. i found a young dog running in the road a few weeks ago, took it to the local vet, it was mirco chipped (to the breeder) no collar, so the owner had not even bothered to update records let alone put a collar on.......... bit of police work on my part found the owner, he had broken the law on both accounts, yet nothing was done. so i doubt having a full address on your tag is going to have the police jumping on you, as long as your dog is chipped (to you) and contact details on is enough and to be honest who is going to report you and to who !!

I do think, law or not, it is wise to have a tag on your dog even just with a mobile number just incase something out of your control happens and your dog finds him/herself without you...I have found lost dogs over the years and it drives me mad when they don't wear a tag as then you either have to contact a dog warden(which can cost the owner money if the dog has to be kennelled) or take them to a friendly vet who can scan them for a chip.

Hello everyone,

Sorry I have been so slow with this. I want to get this as a permanent category on the forum but would like some help with what it should be called.

Is 'Legal Information' to generic?

Any other suggestions greatly welcomed :)

No, I think that would be ok but can I suggest we have a locked sticky at the start saying this is our understanding of legal requirements for dog owners and not a substitute for qualified legal advice in specific situations.

Happy to write a piece and proof read other people's, just allocate me something.

Is 'Legal Information' to generic?

I would go with something like 'Legal information for dog owners' so people don't think it's forum related, e.g. copyright laws. I would also delete any extraneous discussion, such as arguments going back and forth about whether addresses are needed on dog tags. Also make clear whether it only applies in the UK (as most of it will) - Maybe LeashedforLife could add a post on US laws.

delete any extraneous discussion

Or lock them and each thread could include a generic standard paragraph asking that any suggested amendments should be made via requests to you?

Or lock them and each thread could include a generic standard paragraph asking that any suggested amendments should be made via requests to you?

I meant discussion that's already here, if Joanne planned to use this thread to create the section (maybe splitting it into the various laws) - but maybe that's not what she was intending at all. But assuming she's going to use the info in this thread to create new posts then yes, I agree it should be locked and changes made by request.

Yes, new posts, by subject, were what I thought. I can't remember what I suggested before but maybe one on microchipping and identification, maybe one on the DDA, maybe one on BSL, maybe one on bringing your dog into the UK after a holiday or emigrating from abroad, etc.

Thank you both. I like the 'Legal information for dog owners'

Yes that sounds perfect @JoanneF - I will lock any new threads so they don't get messy and confusing. Anyone who would like some information/new thread can contact me and then if you're happy to Jo, you can proof read it first?

This current thread can either be deleted or I can change the title. This could be the one used for discussions?

I think I want to focus on UK law only. This is a UK based forum so I don't want to confuse new owners!

if you're happy to Jo, you can proof read it first?

Maybe the person who wrote the original thread should be the one to check any proposed changes as they are the person who did the original research and probably have best knowledge of the subject matter.

Yes that's fine or if anyone hear's of any changes to laws they can always mention it and we can change it.

Oliver has just added the new section in so we're good to go!

We just need to make sure that any information given is correct and that there are direct links to the source.

Ok, will I start with bringing your dog into the UK as I have some experience of that?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back