The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Harness recommendations please

AmyC

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi

My little pup (15 weeks) is not keen on his harness. I think it's because I have to put it over his head. Any recommendations for side clipping harnesses please?

Thanks

They are pricey so you might want to wait until he is bigger but Perfect Fit harnesses are good.

Meantime, you could train him by holding a treat near the harness, progressing to having him put his nose to the over-head part for a treat and eventually through that, to get him accustomed to it.

They are pricey so you might want to wait until he is bigger but Perfect Fit harnesses are good.

Meantime, you could train him by holding a treat near the harness, progressing to having him put his nose to the over-head part for a treat and eventually through that, to get him accustomed to it.

Thank you! I'll give that a try :)

Oopsy, I've cross-posted with JoanneF again! but anyway...

Have a look at Perfect Fit harnesses. I've no personal experience of these but seen a lot of recommentations.

Also, though, can I just mention a way in which you can help him accept things being pulled over his head? Try holding up the harness with a treat on the far side of it, so he has to stick his head in to get the treat. Do this gradually and progress at his pace, but eventually he'll be happy to stick his head in it.

For removing the harness - which my old dog really hated - first teach 'back', i.e. take a few steps back. Once your dog has got this, you can hold the harness, ask him to walk back, and he's effectively removed it himself.

Oopsy, I've cross-posted with JoanneF again! but anyway...

Have a look at Perfect Fit harnesses. I've no personal experience of these but seen a lot of recommentations.

Also, though, can I just mention a way in which you can help him accept things being pulled over his head? Try holding up the harness with a treat on the far side of it, so he has to stick his head in to get the treat. Do this gradually and progress at his pace, but eventually he'll be happy to stick his head in it.

For removing the harness - which my old dog really hated - first teach 'back', i.e. take a few steps back. Once your dog has got this, you can hold the harness, ask him to walk back, and he's effectively removed it himself.
Thank you!

Remember your little guy is 15wks old and has only been away from his mum I hope for not even 7wks yet and is now found himself in the big bad world! He is going to be be wary of you as there is no way he trusts you 100% yet, he probably has never even felt a normal lead and collar on him for longer than a few hours, the way he is acting with the harness is completely normal and this behaviour is not out of fear.
Fear mainly stems from a bad experience with something or someone which unless you have hit him with a harness then gone to put it on him which I very much doubt, he is just trying to figure out what this thing on him is! Its like breaking in a horse and putting a saddle on for the first time, the horse isn't scared it just doesn't no what it is that is on them.
If he wasn't acting wary or wasn't acting uncomfortable in it that would be concerning! To start with while you put the harness on have some chicken clenched in your fist only letting him lick out a little bit at a time till the harness is on then when it is give him the rest.
image_2022-09-16_160636506.png
download (5).jpg

To help the process this is what you do -
  1. Do not just stop putting the harness on him this is so important! If you let him be fearful of something like a walking harness that is not going to hurt him you are halting the building of his confidence and saying to him that 'yes' the harness is bad and out to get you'. The more this happens with things by the time he's an adult you are going to have behavioural issues and a dog that IS scared of his own shadow which leads to fear aggression!
  2. There is plenty of puppy harness to choose from the two I've attached are under £20 and do up round there middle (no over the head). You need to measure him properly for a harness so it fits snug. Never buy a rope harness or a thin strapped one as there known to rub, you need one like in my photo's.
  3. Once you have it just put it on him don't make a fuss, don't pacify him or you will increase his concern about it not reassure him! Put it on like you have done it for years and with no fuss. Leave him in it around the house for 5mins and play with him so it's a positive thing the first time. Later on that day do exactly the same thing but while your going through the desensitisation process do not play with him at any other time, only play when he has the harness one This is important!
  4. Day 2 - Repeat the same thing as yesterday but leave him in it for 15mins around the house. Later on that day again do the same but attach the lead let him feel the weight of the lead across his back and dragging behind him, then pick the lead up and hold it so he can feel the slight pull and pressure then drop the lead and take it off.
Do this for 5 days with gradual increments each day till he no longer notices he's wearing it then your ready to walk him in it.

I wouldn't use the harness in the second picture (I think the first picture is a different design). In the second one, the one actually on the dog, it's what is referred to as an H shaped harness where the horizontal strap goes across the chest. That restricts shoulder movement, which isn't good; especially in a puppy with a still developing structure. It can cause orthopaedic problems later in life, there are plenty of videos online showing how the dog's gait is restricted.

Look for a Y shaped harness that has a strap going between the forelegs. I can't see the whole picture of the first harness above but I think it might be ok.

Remember your little guy is 15wks old and has only been away from his mum I hope for not even 7wks yet and is now found himself in the big bad world! He is going to be be wary of you as there is no way he trusts you 100% yet, he probably has never even felt a normal lead and collar on him for longer than a few hours, the way he is acting with the harness is completely normal and this behaviour is not out of fear.
Fear mainly stems from a bad experience with something or someone which unless you have hit him with a harness then gone to put it on him which I very much doubt, he is just trying to figure out what this thing on him is! Its like breaking in a horse and putting a saddle on for the first time, the horse isn't scared it just doesn't no what it is that is on them.
If he wasn't acting wary or wasn't acting uncomfortable in it that would be concerning! To start with while you put the harness on have some chicken clenched in your fist only letting him lick out a little bit at a time till the harness is on then when it is give him the rest. View attachment 111980651 View attachment 111980652

To help the process this is what you do -
  1. Do not just stop putting the harness on him this is so important! If you let him be fearful of something like a walking harness that is not going to hurt him you are halting the building of his confidence and saying to him that 'yes' the harness is bad and out to get you'. The more this happens with things by the time he's an adult you are going to have behavioural issues and a dog that IS scared of his own shadow which leads to fear aggression!
  2. There is plenty of puppy harness to choose from the two I've attached are under £20 and do up round there middle (no over the head). You need to measure him properly for a harness so it fits snug. Never buy a rope harness or a thin strapped one as there known to rub, you need one like in my photo's.
  3. Once you have it just put it on him don't make a fuss, don't pacify him or you will increase his concern about it not reassure him! Put it on like you have done it for years and with no fuss. Leave him in it around the house for 5mins and play with him so it's a positive thing the first time. Later on that day do exactly the same thing but while your going through the desensitisation process do not play with him at any other time, only play when he has the harness one This is important!
  4. Day 2 - Repeat the same thing as yesterday but leave him in it for 15mins around the house. Later on that day again do the same but attach the lead let him feel the weight of the lead across his back and dragging behind him, then pick the lead up and hold it so he can feel the slight pull and pressure then drop the lead and take it off.
Do this for 5 days with gradual increments each day till he no longer notices he's wearing it then your ready to walk him in it.
This is brilliant, thanks so much. I'll give it a whirl- fingers crossed!

As previous posts have said - a strap across the chest like this restricts free shoulder movement and can cause orthopaedic problems.

However, this thread was started a year and a half ago so I imagine the OP found a solution.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back