The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hello

Suzi M

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi there, im hoping this forum can give us some support. We have 2 x 18 week old Rottie pups, sisters. We had been informed from a trainer to keep them apart at all times due to ‘littermate syndrome’.
Something we hadn’t heard of before but did feel this was making the girls worse.had anyone had any experience of bringing up sisters?
I’d be interested to hear how it went
Thank you

Not direct experience but my understanding of littermate syndrome is that you need to teach them to function both separately and together.

The risk is that they engage too much with each other, excluding any bonding and partnership with you. So yes, they need to be apart and to learn to do everything separately but I think they also need to learn to be together too. That's why we say it takes more than three times the effort to raise littermates. You have to train each thing to each one separately, and then again together (which is harder as they will be distracting each other).

Hello ;)not all dogs suffer with litter mate syndrome and to expect you to keep them apart is a bit crazy o_O....training maybe a bit more work but it can be done ...my friend had 2 dobermans from the same litter and they have been a dream ....

Hi and welcome. Would seriously love to see a pic of your 2 girls:), rotti pups are so cute!!

Here they are, Maggie and Orla with Heidi our German Shepherd

Attachments

• B50F3248-DF61-46CE-96AC-D07088BBF6A9.jpeg
    B50F3248-DF61-46CE-96AC-D07088BBF6A9.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 109
Oh they're gorgeous, all three of them!

Finsky one of the forum members has not long had terrier pups and she is keeping 2 siblings ...maybe you could ask her for advice or read her thread ....

Finsky one of the forum members has not long had terrier pups and she is keeping 2 siblings ...maybe you could ask her for advice or read her thread ....
I’m new to all this, how can I find the tread?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back