The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hi

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
@Whippylove I just had a quick google, (as you do!), and you can get un-medicated corn plasters oval or round, might be worth a little look...

Many online sources - including vets - suggest that it's find to use corn plasters on dogs' corns. Salycilic acid can be harmful to dogs in large quantities, but I imagine the small amount contained in a corn plaster, applied to such a thick layer of dead skin, is fine. It might depend on how likely your dog is to peel off the corn plaster and eat it I guess, but if you were concerned you could always just put it on when he's wearing his boot. My vet actually suggested Bazuka, which contains salycilic acid.

One advantage of using a corn plaster, with or without the medicated bit, is that it can help lift the corn as it will put pressure on the surrounding area when the dog stands on it.

I can remove them easily, it's they just appear after a week. I'm not keen on surgery as Marley is 10 but it's awfully painful for him.
Thank you I'll definitely check that out
Yes, there's no guarantee that removal would be permanent but what's the alternative? However, you're only dealing with dead tissue. Mabel can be the biggest wimp under the sun yet she doesn't make a sound during the removal procedure. She is fearful and is obviously uncomfortable while I'm doing it but there's nothing beyond that. I have been told that corns can be pared (if that's the correct spelling) with an emery board. I've yet to try that.

Just out of interest does anyone know why sight hounds are more prone to getting corns? Or do other breeds get them too?

One theory is that they don't have as much fat in their pads (along with everywhere else) as other types. Though there's also a theory that they are caused by a virus, like veruccas and warts, and it could be these breeds are more susceptible to the virus.

Quite possible - and we also should note that sighthound pads hit the ground at a greater speed/angle than other dogs' do.

thanks for the help everyone
I've also wondered about corn pads, at the moment he's really sore so I'm having to give pain relief.
I'm trying to soften the pad and hopefully it will draw the corn out. I've also tried filing it down but it's back out the pad the next day.
Marley gets his corns are he has a strange gait and has always been heavy on his front feet causing his corn

thanks for the help everyone
I've also wondered about corn pads, at the moment he's really sore so I'm having to give pain relief.
I'm trying to soften the pad and hopefully it will draw the corn out. I've also tried filing it down but it's back out the pad the next day.
Marley gets his corns are he has a strange gait and has always been heavy on his front feet causing his corn
I do feel for him. Really hope you find a speedy solution.

I'm sure you know this, but what surfaces you walk on can make a huge difference. Jasper really struggled on paved surfaces, but hardly limped at all on grass.

I'm sure you know this, but what surfaces you walk on can make a huge difference. Jasper really struggled on paved surfaces, but hardly limped at all on grass.
It's difficult here as its mostly hard surfaces, I find the more I soften the corn the more pain he'd in, I can't win.
Thanks for the help

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back