The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Itchiness and allergies

EmmanuelH17

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone - anyone have any recommendations for what they've done to treat their dogs itchiness/allergies?

Not really keen on putting them on drugs (cytopoint, apoquel and the like) and feel like an exclusion diet might do more harm than good... My 4 year old Pom is suffering from the scratchies at the moment :(

Itchiness and allergies often have underlying reasons. Diet is very often the main reason, and can often solve the problem.
What do you feed and what is the brand?

I just found out my dog is allergic to trees pollen and plants, as we had several blood tests as we did the food diet elimination and it wasn't the food. It is worth unfortunately having a blood test done if you are worried or if your dog is over itching himself constantly.
Blue was allergic to 14 different allergens!! and unfortunately to control the itchiness while we sent off for the immune therapy we had to put him on Apoquel to ease the itching.
Its a slow process and now he is having immune therapy injections and is still so itchy poor thing. But am hoping that when all the injections have finished they will work , fingers crossed. As its been so stressful.
He is also on Naturediet as this is limited ingredients and much better for him. Ever since then his stomach has been back to normal. Hope this helps.

Since this was posted, I've been reading about someone whose dog has benefited by using colostrum. It might be worth looking into.

thanks will definitely have a look. And also ask vet as well as have another appointment next week for blues immune therapy. Fingers crossed the itching slowly dies down.
Hope you have a good day.

What about hemp oil has anyone ever tried this? As supposed to be very safe and herbal.

Ok great thanks . No i never ask them about food as they are useless
Unfortunately needed them for blood test though.

Nick is brilliant. Thoroughly agree with the advice to contact him.

Nick used to be one of our vets with Mark Elliott many years ago.

Mine too - how the years do pass. Sadly Mark isn't doing general practice any more.

I think he may be doing some locum work for the practice. (or that is what I have heard) But he will now be doing his pheasants for the summer months so I doubt if he will even have time for the locum work.
The practice certainly is not the same without him there :oops:

Yes he is and so is "Nick Thompson"

Hi everyone - anyone have any recommendations for what they've done to treat their dogs itchiness/allergies?

Not really keen on putting them on drugs (cytopoint, apoquel and the like) and feel like an exclusion diet might do more harm than good... My 4 year old Pom is suffering from the scratchies at the moment :(

I haven`t found anything that works better than apoquel with our 4year old Lab. But don`t like the idea of him being on it longterm, would love a natural solution!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back