The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

looking for advice regarding itching, scooting and biting her fur

MImithedivadog

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello, I am new to this page,I wanted to know if anyone has good advice regarding nutri paw products. The ads are thrown at me every time I turn on my laptop, I believe because I mentioned her problems on facebook once. The stuff costs a lot of money and when you look at the ads for the first product you find more and more of them all equally expensive monthly packs- gut health, calming etc as well as the one first shown. Currently having had steroid treatment, and changing her diet entirely to avoid certain proteins, I am stumped. We tried a fortnight on aquapel which is horrendously expensive from the vet, and still a pound a pill on the internet with a prescription at almost £24 from my vet (as well of course as the vet fee for walking through the door) I certainly cannot afford any more risky expenses this month. I am a pensioner and as much as I love my little dog, I cannot manage more , especially heavily advertised products which may or may not work, I tried a shampoo for her on this basis and it seemed to make her itching worse.
How many users of these products have enough experience of them to know if they are worth trying? I wrote to nutripaw who are bombarding me with emails and asked if they had samples to test? Their answer filled me with fear, when they said it took over 30 days use to see results?? Are there any users here who actually know it works or is this just another false promise/?

Hello and welcome.

I don't have experience of nutri paw but which proteins did you try to eliminate, and how long did you give it? What foods did you use (specific brands and flavours)? I ask because some foods have 'hidden' proteins - like poultry in a lamb flavour. And it can take six weeks before you see any result so it's impost6to keep up the regime.

Would you consider a raw diet?

We tried the raw diet some years ago, until my dog went off the food. She is known to be allergic to chicken, in fact it is why we tried venison. Since then we tried lamb, and always ensure the kibble does not have chicken or poultry fat in it. I ended up cooking for her, mince beef or lamb with veg and handfuls of bran which went well for a long time, suddenly the itching started last autumn. After a few days of bathing and anti itch sprays (expensive did nothing sprays bought on line) the vet examined her, and apart from blocked anal glands (again every month or so) she could not see anything wrong. We tried a few pills- steroids etc.. all were short lived cures,, then back again to square one, I mis spelled apoquel sorry in my first message. We are going back on that for a few weeks to see if we can get to grips with it. She currently wakens me in the night with her groaning and rolling on the carpet and then knocking as she scratches on the floor. It really is difficult to know what to do for the best. I suspected there might be some chemical used on the grass we exercise her on- or in the woods- or the roadside verges. By the number of people who also seem to have itchy dogs, one wonders if this is pollution related on the roads or air

mis spelled apoquel sorry in my first message
I knew what you meant but I can fix it for you if you want?

I suspected there might be some chemical used on the grass we exercise her on- or in the woods- or the roadside verges.
It might help to wash her down with a wet cloth and plain water after walking.

Some breeds and colours are more prone to itching and I know what you mean about there being so many - I think genetics and breeding has a lot to do with it.

Would it be possible for your vet to test for what the specific allergy/irritant is? I don't know how easy this is though, or how much it would cost.

vets are as puzzled by allergies in dogs as we are, there are blood tests but not recommended and obviously if walking into surgery is £54- think what a test might cost? Vets recommend withdrawing certain foods one at a time and seeing if that helps- but admitted to me, it could be your carpet- council weedkillers- even tap water. Yes, anything can make allergic reactions in any of us. I have had children with eczema and never discovered the real problem- once a dermatologist suggested my child was allergic to water and keep her unbathed as much as possible!! Betnovate ointments seemed the only cure, and one cannot put this on a dog. We have tried piriton but it does not work for long. One just hopes for a miracle.

I really hope you find a solution :(

I feel for you and your poor dog . We have been down the same route incl the apoquel...
Murphy is allergic to beef and we solved that with a raw diet.
But by keeping a diary of food and walks we discovered that outbreaks of itching coincided with the council mowing the grass.

It seems freshly cut grass also causes him problems. This is helped by rinsing off his paws/ legs after a walk on fresh cut grass and of course avoiding fresh cut grass where possible. So maybe a diary would help highlight other possible triggers. Good luck.

I feel for you and your poor dog . We have been down the same route incl the apoquel...
Murphy is allergic to beef and we solved that with a raw diet.
But by keeping a diary of food and walks we discovered that outbreaks of itching coincided with the council mowing the grass.

It seems freshly cut grass also causes him problems. This is helped by rinsing off his paws/ legs after a walk on fresh cut grass and of course avoiding fresh cut grass where possible. So maybe a diary would help highlight other possible triggers. Good luck.
I suspected council cutting grass activity worsened it. 0 apoquel tablets on the first day of usage as vet instructed has calmed her. It appears to be vallium for dogs! At least cutting down the grass before the wretched spikey stuff grows might help all dog owners (is it known as fox tails?) I understand it does a lot of damage to feet and ears. I also wonder now about beef . \i suspect it is the chemical and growth hormones used by farmers in the meat production and not the beef itself. It seems our dogs have expensive tastes nowadays- I think I am spending far more on dog food and apoquel than my own meals now. Thank God for the NHS. It is when one has to go visit a vet one realises how lucky we are to have our NHS

apoquel are like a miracle cure but as you say a lot of money but also vet told me if your dog has them for 3 months and longer will have to have a blood test every 3 months to make sure pills had not effected organs especially liver in your dog. So the shortest time used the better. I've tried all sorts to stop my dog itching/scratching from this pollen/grass situation but to be honest I've found the best solution is to put a tshirt on my dog cut it on the arm pits due to arm pit will get sore if you don't cut up back to cover the belly properly this will prevent grass touching belly in any way. Wash dogs paws belly after walk then just though two things will work. Can get t-shirts will need several for the week keep washing them get from charity shops. Also use aloe vera for a soother from itching and scratching, or anything that will sooth itchy area that dog would be able to consume because they like to lick it off grrr but put on quick then cover quickly with t-shirt then might not be able to get at itchy area. Be aware the hot weather is coming so a t-shirt will make your dog hot so dampen t-shirt if need or else your dog will suffer with clothing will make your dog over heat. On the side of caution wet the t-shirt with just plain old cold tap water. To be honest there's nothing out there that will get rid of this once got an allergy it will never go all you can do it your best. Can also buy dog suits off amazon but buy bigger as they come small. I've tried it all believe me

I forgot earlier but someone I know has found colostrum really helped her dog (you can buy it in health food shops). But do check with your vet that it won't interact with anything else she may be on.

apoquel are like a miracle cure but as you say a lot of money but also vet told me if your dog has them for 3 months and longer will have to have a blood test every 3 months to make sure pills had not effected organs especially liver in your dog. So the shortest time used the better. I've tried all sorts to stop my dog itching/scratching from this pollen/grass situation but to be honest I've found the best solution is to put a tshirt on my dog cut it on the arm pits due to arm pit will get sore if you don't cut up back to cover the belly properly this will prevent grass touching belly in any way. Wash dogs paws belly after walk then just though two things will work. Can get t-shirts will need several for the week keep washing them get from charity shops. Also use aloe vera for a soother from itching and scratching, or anything that will sooth itchy area that dog would be able to consume because they like to lick it off grrr but put on quick then cover quickly with t-shirt then might not be able to get at itchy area. Be aware the hot weather is coming so a t-shirt will make your dog hot so dampen t-shirt if need or else your dog will suffer with clothing will make your dog over heat. On the side of caution wet the t-shirt with just plain old cold tap water. To be honest there's nothing out there that will get rid of this once got an allergy it will never go all you can do it your best. Can also buy dog suits off amazon but buy bigger as they come small. I've tried it all believe me
It is dreadful and one wonders if taking anti histamine might not be safer? We have to trust vets on this, but I do not like the idea of long term usage. I hoped for a cure and find just an antidote for short term. I will consider the damp T shirt idea, but she hates wearing clothing I note there are some damp jackets around to keep dogs cool in hot weather. I would seriously like to know what the council is using to kill weeds around the base of trees and lamp posts in our streets? They say it is pet safe, but often she grazes the grass and it is only obvious after a couple of days that all the grass has turned a funny yellow colour and died back. If only no chemicals were used I swear it would be a lot better for the planet as well as our dogs

If only no chemicals were used I swear it would be a lot better for the planet as well as our dogs
Our council banned the use of chemical weed killers in the city, which is fantastic, BUT they didn't put in place an alternative like regular grass verge cutting or employing street weeders. Now every year we have a nightmare problem of grass dart seeds on mass, which as we know are hell when they get into a dog's nail beds, ears, eyes or mouth!! And believe me they are absolutely everywhere:eek:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back