The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

waynedamage

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all, bit of a grim first post, I have taken my mum's shit zu to live with us as she has terminal cancer I have a staffy x already (10) ever since bringing my mums dog home my dog won't look at me! Leaves the room when I enter won't eat or drink for the last 24hrs will take a treat when offered but not eating her food.
she gets on with my mums dog hes been at our house many times she knows him and gets on with him im starting to think she doesn't like me! She acts scared when I approach her which is totally out of character for her! she loves to be made a fuss off...... can anyone here shed some light? If she doesn't eat today I'm taking her to the vet

Hello and welcome. First of all, I'm sorry about your mum.

How long has the Shih Tzu been with you? And, has the dog stayed overnight before?

It is a big change for both of them, so I'd say time will probably help.

You may also be behaving slightly differently without realising it, obviously you are going to be quite stressed and your dog will be able to scent that.

"Guests and fish stink after three days".
There is one helluva difference between short meetings and somebody moving in permanently. Your Stafford is handling things so well, but is clearly upset, as you have deduced. Also, you are terribly upset and both dogs will have picked up on that. Your Mum's dog will be all at sea too.
Let the dogs separate themselves for the time being while they work through their own emotions. Usually walks help, but I don't know how active the elderly dog can be. I suggest you take each one out separately (only has to be a short walk) and once a day together, but one in each hand and either side of you.
I am so sorry for your loss.

Hello and welcome. First of all, I'm sorry about your mum.

How long has the Shih Tzu been with you? And, has the dog stayed overnight before?

It is a big change for both of them, so I'd say time will probably help.

You may also be behaving slightly differently without realising it, obviously you are going to be quite stressed and your dog will be able to scent that.
My mums dog is a regular at our house she never goes anywhere without him my dogs a bit different today I got a tail wag this morning and she came to say hi I think I'm giving off strange vibes she'll wonder where mum is as well as mum and tuppins usually travel together lol

"Guests and fish stink after three days".
There is one helluva difference between short meetings and somebody moving in permanently. Your Stafford is handling things so well, but is clearly upset, as you have deduced. Also, you are terribly upset and both dogs will have picked up on that. Your Mum's dog will be all at sea too.
Let the dogs separate themselves for the time being while they work through their own emotions. Usually walks help, but I don't know how active the elderly dog can be. I suggest you take each one out separately (only has to be a short walk) and once a day together, but one in each hand and either side of you.
I am so sorry for your loss.
Thank you for the reply ill try separate walks see if that helps my dog will go walkies with me no problem it's in the house she won't come near me

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back