The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Our rescue puppy, Sid (8m Greyhound) is aggressive towards our 2yr Lab

TamingSid

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Thing's we have noticed of Sid after bringing him home on Saturday 11th May.
Tonight, Sid attempted to attack Remi, because Remi was trying to pick up his bone treat as Sid already had his.
- he'll nip at Remi, especially the ears
- he'll block Remi from going up the stairs/down them
- He barges past Remi
- he steals toys from Remi when Remi is trying to play
- he'll bark at Remi

Remi , bless him is absolutely terrified of Sid as Sid is constantly bullying Remi.
Remi's not done anything to him, just stood by him or gone to get a toy.

Sid also barks at mostly anything from other people outside walking their dogs, birds, our pet mice (who lives in a cage),
at other dogs who aren't even near us but out on a walk, our fish pond etc. He's super reactive.

Sid also obessively eats grass - we're working on this with him as well as sit, stay, leave it.

Hello and welcome.

It is very early days, there is a saying that it takes a dog about three days to decompress, three weeks to learn the household routines and three months to really settle.

I'm not experienced in two-dog homes but from what I've read, you should intervene to stand up for Remi so he doesn't feel the need to take matters into his own paws.

We have a page on reactivity here - have a look, and see if it helps but do come back if you have questions.

Yes - you have an adolescent dog of a very different breed type, and he doesn't yet know which way is up. Stay calm.

Feed them separately, even treats, so one doesn't see the other as competition. You don't know if Sid has had to fight other dogs for his food/toys/bed/attention.

Apart from house rules, delay training until he has settled. I never bother teaching sighthounds to 'sit' as with their long backs it is uncomfortable for them. I teach a 'stand' instead, for which cue I simply touch lightly on the top of the back between the shoulders. But this can come later. Any time - every time - Sid tries to bully Remi, step between them and move Sid away by gently pushing with your thighs/body. Don't raise your voice or say 'No'. Just move him. You will have to do this a lot before the penny drops. It will.

Make sure Remi has as much 1 to 1 time as you can give him. It will mean so much to him. They should settle down eventually, but any pup/adult interface can be fraught to begin with. Stay with us (I don't want to make this too long a post for you) and we will help you every step of the way.

@JoanneF and @Hemlock

Thank you both so much, this is incredibly helpful already.
PS - I forgot to introduce Remi as our Lab!

I posted this last night in pure desperation as I can't face Sid being put down when I know he is just misunderstood and has had a really tough start in life, I'll post a 'pup diary' about him soon to explain more about his upbringing and challenges which I personally think are the root cause of all this.

Today is a better day... less nipping and i've been trying to encourage that Remi goes first ; I've been up pretty much all night reading various sources and a lot said to help Sid recognise his place in the 'pack' (our family) and first day of trying this today and going okay.

I've noticed that clicker training is working well for Sid so when he does go to eat grass for an example I press the clicker, wait folook at me/where the sound is coming from and reward with a treat.

But I will take onboard all of this advice and tweak

Honestly thank you ! I'm sure I will stick around as the more information I read/get the more helpful i find it.

Sid is so different to Remi, and so this is a completely new ball field for me, Remi was bad but in other behaviours (like eating the plaster from the actual walls and carpet .... but never aggressive or pushy like this)

We actually have a piece on clicker training too. Most people use it slightly differently from the way you describe so have a read, I think you might find it helpful.

We actually have a piece on clicker training too. Most people use it slightly differently from the way you describe so have a read, I think you might find it helpful.
Honestly it was a litterally quick random think I thought to try as he is stubborn, i'll give it a read now thank you.

I've been working on a training plan for him to ensure me and my husband is on the right lines too.

(Had to remove the link from quote as the site thought I was trying to spam!)

Grass-eating should be allowed. This time of year it may be because the grass is extra delicious with the new shoots, but it can also be medicinal. If you haven't yet started a worming regime, it's a good time to, as he probably hasn't been wormed according to best practice before you took him on. Also I recommend giving him hard green vegetables to chew (broccoli, cabbage, a cucumber piece, whatever) as this will lessen the need for grass.

Grass-eating should be allowed. This time of year it may be because the grass is extra delicious with the new shoots, but it can also be medicinal. If you haven't yet started a worming regime, it's a good time to, as he probably hasn't been wormed according to best practice before you took him on. Also I recommend giving him hard green vegetables to chew (broccoli, cabbage, a cucumber piece, whatever) as this will lessen the need for grass.
ahhh i see, Sid does grab a few strands before I can redirect him, its just ... his poop has become full of grass, he is currently being slowly introduced to a different food as the one he came with was just not benefiting him and causing issues so he may be feeling like he needs some relief whilst we transition him. I've always been told that dogs eating grass is 'bad' and they shouldn't do it.

the owner before us confirmed he was flea'd and wormed (i think tick also , not 100% sure though)

ohh we're doing shopping tonight so I will see if i can get any of those.

We figured Sid may also still be on the last bit of teething, hes having awful trouble with his back teeth (back canines ?? sorry not clued up on teeth names!) so these veggies may provide more comfort / relief

Hi and welcome from me too. If you do think he is still teething you can stick a carrot in the freezer, something nice and cool to chew on might give some relief.
And as said above it is very, very early days, be super calm and super patient. A lot of reactivity stems from fear, if he's had no guidance and you are his fourth home, so no stability either, his behaviour could be because he's worried/anxious, as he's never learnt how to interact or had the opportunity to settle and form bonds by the sound of it. Be calm and be consistent and good luck! Might well be worth getting a calming diffuser or use a calming spray, I use one called 'pet remedy calming spray' which I've found quite helpful. ( will probably benefit Remi too!)

Be wary of advice to reduce his 'status' in the 'pack' - much of this 'pack' mentality is based on very old, incorrect ideas that are now known to be flawed. Instead, as you are now doing, just gently ensure good manners. In time Sid and Remi will work out their relationship for themselves, and it might be that in some situations Sid defers to Remi and sometimes Remi defers to Sid, not through any sort of intimidation, but more like it works in human relationships (I sometimes defer to my husband... ;))

Be wary of advice to reduce his 'status' in the 'pack' - much of this 'pack' mentality is based on very old, incorrect ideas that are now known to be flawed. Instead, as you are now doing, just gently ensure good manners. In time Sid and Remi will work out their relationship for themselves, and it might be that in some situations Sid defers to Remi and sometimes Remi defers to Sid, not through any sort of intimidation, but more like it works in human relationships (I sometimes defer to my husband... ;))
Ah right okay I'll encourage kinder behaviours but now less 'getting in line with the pack'. Thank you for bringing this to my attention! :)

Sighthounds are very different to other breeds they play differently and what can come across as aggression isnt ...I fostered a greyhound pup once and she was the naughtiest pup I had ever fostered....he will get there ....patience is a virtue ....pics please ;)

438326827_1842553966257686_4992279675819114206_n.jpg

This is the only pictures i have of him right now ,
I do have another thread for a diary where I'll be posting most updates :)

@Tinytom , is it normal for them to nip at the ears or be little nippy when excited?

It's just we want to stop all nipping in 'fear' of it getting out of hand

Aw it all appears clearer now ..your boy looks like he has a splash of saluki in him ....yes the ear nipping is a way they try to encourage other dogs to play ...he is gorgeous...
My lot used to nip each others heels...
We always had 4/5 sighthounds now we have 2 deerhound boys ...
They are also pups for longer ...I suppose he has already been neutered ...

Last edited:
@TamingSid Have a read up on salukis and all will make sense on your boys behaviour...and you've only had him 6 days so his behaviour to me is perfectly normal...i have only really ever had sighthounds and terriers for the past 40 years

View attachment 111981719
This is the only pictures i have of him right now ,
I do have another thread for a diary where I'll be posting most updates :)

@Tinytom , is it normal for them to nip at the ears or be little nippy when excited?

It's just we want to stop all nipping in 'fear' of it getting out of hand
He is gorgeous and you’re so lucky. He’ll reward you 100% and more. I agree with Tinytom = there’s saluki in there somewhere. What you may see as aggression isn’t by any means. He’s had no consistency nor routine in his life hitherto. Just heed the advice (and reassurance) from the experiences of others on this forum. For the first two months of taking on Mabel I had my head in my hands and doubted my sanity in taking her on but, believe me, we got there. She’s a very happy whippet (and she does eat grass - it may come out at the other end but doesn’t do her any harm). My advice (for what that’s worth) is just to be a gentle buffer to keep the peace to avoid confrontation between the two. If anything he requires guidance not dominance. Don’t force anything on Sid - let him come to you. Appreciate what you’ve got. He’s super. Sighthounds are not like other dogs. Really hope it works out well.

Grass does an important digestive system cleansing job, and it is normal for it to come out of either end pretty much as it went in, having done whatever it was needed for. So don't worry!

If you want to read up on sighthounds in particular, I suggest you find a copy of The House Lurcher, which is specifically for this type of dog in the pet world.

i feel really bad for stopping the 'nipping'
turns out, Sid must have smelled that Remi had really waxy ears, as this evening whilst Remi was laying down on the floor, sid came over and gently flea-bit around Remi's ear and then licked inside as if he was trying to care for Remi :emoji_disappointed_relieved: We didn't know about Remi's ears until this, so we're thankful for Sid! Remi's ears are sorted so hopefully that helps Remi out and helps Sid.

Sid has been much kinder to Remi today!

Since learning about the nippiness being a sign of play from you all, we've become more relaxed about it, only really intervening when it is over stepping the playfulness (when sid get frustrated, he tends to snap in a bit more of an aggressive way , usually at Remi when Remi doesn't want to play) or when Sid is doing it to wind Remi up.

Sid hasn't been too bad but the barking does get to us a bit especially when its not even 6am. He's such a loving dog, always up for cuddles and loves to be picked up for cuddles

Last edited:
Reactions: RGC
Awwww, they'll be best mates before you know it :)

Reactions: RGC
That’s brilliant. He’s becoming part of the family and they’ll soon find their level within the household. There’s progress.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back