The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Peeing when excited

RIO THE JRT

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi 👋
Im just wondering if anyone knows why my jack Russell pees a little sometimes if i go to pick him up when he is excited and around new people ? Tia

Is this a new thing, or has he always done it?

How old is he?

At that age he won't have full control of his bladder and there's every likelihood he will outgrow it.

You could help by having him meet visitors outside, after he has already peed, and ask them not to do anything that causes extra excitement.

And when you pick him up, there are a few things to consider, not all necessarily related to the peeing. First, it's important to train small dogs in being lifted, because there are times when it will be necessary (for example, on to a vet table). So give him a cue before you do it, so you aren't taking him by surprise. Second, pretend he is a Great Dane (seriously). By that, I mean don't just lift him for your convenience. That runs the risk you disturb him when he is in a comfortable place and in turn, might make him cross at being disturbed and start objecting to being lifted just to suit you. You wouldn't be able to do that with a Great Dane, so before you lift him, think about why you are doing it and whether there's a better choice.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back