The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Pulling on lead

Alfies Mum

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Our 5 month old golden doodle really pulls when we take him for a walk. He’s on a harness, and we’re having training with him, but as soon as he sees another human and/or dog, he’s up on his back legs desperately wanting to meet & greet. We were told to just stand still when he pulls, but that has no effect. We know sniffing is a huge part of growing up & we take treats with us to reward his good behaviour, but the constant pulling is not making for a nice walking experience!! Any help greatly appreciated

It's a difficult phase! For now, you would be better off training where you are less likely to see other people and dogs, so his focus will be more on you as he learns how he's meant to walk on lead. You can even start training walking close in the house, and then the garden before taking it to more exciting places. When outside the house, if you see a person or dog in the distance - not so close that he starts to lunge - reward him heavily. In time, when he sees a person or dog, he'll then turn to you because he knows it is even better than what he's seen. Then you can gradually reduce the distance.

Maturity will help a lot too - the aim is for him to see other people and dogs as really not that interesting, but at this age, that's not easy!

For lead walking in general, have a search for Kikopup videos on YouTube. This article by Patricia McConnell is also good: Leash Manners Revisited - The Other End of the Leash

Hi. This seems quite similar to what I’m experiencing at the moment, so I can relate to the difficulties!

Something which helped our shar pei x akita was switching from a harness to a collar. Much easier to stop him pulling with a taught pull of the lead and a command. (Shame we can’t get the jumping under control with it 😂)

I’ve also heard some good reviews on Halti’s, so that could be one to try :)

Good luck!

I'm not a fan of a pull on the lead - the throat is a delicate area, and you could cause injury.

Have you considered training without using a lead? You start by clicker training - I can add more detail if you are interested but in brief, a clicker is used to mark the exact moment the dog does what you want, like a snapshot, and is followed with a reward. Then, start in the house and encourage your dog to walk beside you, clicking and rewarding when he is by your side - in the position he would be in if he was walking on a loose lead. Progress to the garden, and then to safe places outside.

For jumping up, dogs struggle to ”not do” things. As do we; if I said to you do NOT think of a big red fire engine, what comes immediately to mind? So instead of ”don't jump” you could train an alternative thing like a sit - he can't jump while he is sitting. But, sitting would need to be a far more rewarding thing for him than jumping, so make sure he is well incentivised to make that his choice.

Hi. This seems quite similar to what I’m experiencing at the moment, so I can relate to the difficulties!

Something which helped our shar pei x akita was switching from a harness to a collar. Much easier to stop him pulling with a taught pull of the lead and a command. (Shame we can’t get the jumping under control with it 😂)

I’ve also heard some good reviews on Halti’s, so that could be one to try :)

Good luck!
Thank you for your reply. We changed from a collar to a harness as we didn’t want to hurt his neck by yanking him back all the time. This week has been a turning point though. He’s now walking nicely beside us but he still acts up when other dogs/people are around 🙄

That's great progress, and soon the other behaviours should improve.

I dislike the harnesses, my view on these is that if your dog wants to pull it is aided by the harness. Dogs in a harness always appear to walk in front and not with their owner.
Harnesses are used for horses, donkeys, cattle, reindeer, lamas, elephants (for pulling logs), and not to forget our dogs.
All of these animals can be lead with just a headcollar, or in the case of a dog a normal collar. A harness normally means for work and with pulling involved.

I have noticed dogs with a harness and wearing collars, the owners have a handfull of various leads, and the dogs were still leading the way and not walking with the owner
These harnesses are part of "modern" fashion.
How ever did we ever manage without so many different so called "aids". A collar was always fine!
We once had a male Cocker who always "leaned" on his lead and kept his nose to the ground. Unfortunately most of his puppy walks were loose, and with no lead, he used to walk with us and learned to "wait" but never trained to "heel". (entirely my fault)
While I was still working and before I retired, morning walks were around the block and the dogs were walked on the lead. This chap always had his head down and sniffing various smells as we walked.
Somehow I had to lift his head ! I started to use a loose fitting "Halti", this was never tight beneath his eyes or tight around his face, he resisted violently in the begining but very quickly learned to accept the Halti and soon learnt to walk sensibly with me and the others, I could hold his lead attached to the Halti only, between just my finger and thumb. But if I ever took him for a walk with just the collar and no Halti, his head would automatically go down to sniff the ground. Grrr!

I know that we all have different views on our animal control and some of us get the results we require. But It always looks like such hard work to me.
PHEW !

Something you may find useful, I've noticed it said elsewhere that if you get the kind of harness with a second loop/catch on the front of the chest, when they try to pull or jump forwards, the front catch will automatically pull them round to face you, so they're more likely to give up. Haven't tried it yet, as my dogs have always had collars, but sounded sensible to me? Possibly worth a go?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back