The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy diarrhea

liz&Obi

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all,
I am looking for some advice on puppy diarrhea.
I took Obi (19 week old JR pup) to the vet on Wednesday last week because he had diarrhea and it had mucus and blood in it.
She told me that she wasn't too concerned as puppies eat things they shouldn't and he needed a 'tummy reset', antibiotics incase of any bacteria and probiotic.
She told me to give him a bland diet for 5 days and to reduce the amount i feed him to half until his poop is normal.
He had a solid poop the next day.
He was a little constipated this morning but otherwise all was normal.
I reintroduced a small amount of his normal food today (4pm ish) and tonight he has had a loose poop.
I am concern that the bland diet isn't giving him all the nutrients he needs but the advice was that if he had loose movements to restrict his diet to bland foods for a further 3 weeks.
During the time of blood mucus and diarrhea he has been happy, playful and showing normal Obi behaviour.
Is there any food you could recommend that may help?

If you look at the ingredient list, Chappie (original, not one of the flavoured ones) looks pretty poor but it's a great food for upset digestive systems - I always have a couple of tins in the cupboard.

What is his usual diet? I wonder if he's become sensitive to something in that?
I am another fan of chappie for upset tums and a fan of boiled potatoes and white fish as a bland diet, rather than the rice and chicken route which is normally recommended. What were you giving him out of interest?

When was he last wormed? This may be a contributory factor.

Hello Liz and Obi,
Sorry to hear he is having tummy troubles. My boy is collie x JRT and we / he had a very similar experience, as a pup we tried all sorts of good quality kibbles and even went on a vet prescribed sensitive stomach food for a spell as everything else he ate just produced lose / watery poo's, this went on for over a year changing to different brands, then someone suggested trying a raw food diet and within days his tummy was fine, the poo's were solid and his digestion just seemed to be better and he had more energy.
Might be worth trying, I use Natural Instinct but there are plenty out there, just make sure you chose a complete food as some don't have the veggies and oils.

What is his usual diet? I wonder if he's become sensitive to something in that?
I am another fan of chappie for upset tums and a fan of boiled potatoes and white fish as a bland diet, rather than the rice and chicken route which is normally recommended. What were you giving him out of interest?
When he came home from the breeder he was on butchers (grain free) puppy food and some puppy kibble. We have continued with the butchers and he was fine until last week.
He eats 3 times a day.

I totally agree with the raw, it is a very gentle food and what our dogs are designed to eat.
Puppies rear very well on raw meats, runny tummies never happen and their poos look like little torpedoes.
Take care with any treats that you are giving him as there could be a grain in his treats that is causing the problem.
If you feel the need to research into the raw feeding I always suggest a lovely little book "Honey's Natural Feeding Handbook for Dogs". It is easy to read and to understand, best places to buy; Amazon and ebay, used books but many are new. About £3.

I'd definitely have a look at changing his diet, it's always a good place to start with tummy issues, there could be something in the Butchers that's just not agreeing with him.(if there is no medical reasons for it)
@JoanneF usually puts this up, but have a look at Dog Food Reviews | Find the Best Dog Food - All About Dog Food as well as researching the possibility of raw.

Last edited:
Your worming schedule is just right, so that's one cause to eliminate. Well done for being so conscientious. I hope you find a suitable food for his tum very soon.

Depending on his temperament that may be a contributing factor. got my rat terrier puppy at 8 months and he was a high-energy ball of anxiety. used to poop mucusy rivers of blood which his vet attributed to colitis caused by his anxiety. he continued to have symptoms occasionally even on raw but he eventually grew out of it. he's no longer raw fed and he has a solid pooping schedule like clockwork.

Thank you all for the advice.
I am going to change his diet as after being back on his normal food since yesterday he seems uninterested in mealtimes. He will eat it but he eats small amounts and then leaves it and comes back later.
I was thinking about making my own dog food, does anyone have any experience or advice about it?

I've replied to your other thread on feeding, but just to pick up on one point - it's best not to leave a dog's meal lying around so they can pick at it as and when. It's best that at mealtimes they are a little hungry, and then eat it all in one go, giving their digestion a break before the next meal. If you pick up the bowl after, say, 10 mins, then they are more likely to anticipate the next mealtime with relish.

There are various websites that will give recipes but it isn't easy to get the balance of nutrients right - especially for a puppy, because the calcium to phosphorus ratio is different for puppy growth than for adult dogs.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back