The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Rescue Greyhound

lauradarlo

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi All

Still new in these parts , been in touch with greyhound rescue north east and they're bringing a 3yr old dog to visit us on saturday. I'm so excited and hope the dog likes us. Has anyone got any tips for a first meeting ?

Thanks x :)

Hi All
Still new in these parts , been in touch with greyhound rescue north east and they're bringing a 3yr old dog to visit us on saturday. I'm so excited and hope the dog likes us. Has anyone got any tips for a first meeting ?

Thanks x :)
Hiya and welcome,

Most greyhounds love people, so you have nothing to worry about, i would keep the household as quite as possible so he doesn't get wary of strange noises, as they come from a kennel enviroment and not used to household noise,

you won't be disappointed in having a greyhound they make lovely pets, but be warned the sofa will be overtaken :D

and you resigned to the floor, also prepare your self for the dog marking his territory, which is quite common it may not happen but just be prepared, they are such easy dogs to live with, i had six at one time

good luck and i hope he stays with you

Ahh,i hope it goes well.I have a rescue Greyhound,and we just took it very slowly,the dog will probably be a bit overwhelmed.

Our Lady just stayed in her bed for the day when we had her,but slowly she came round.Patience,and lots of TLC,you will never look back.On saying that,all dogs are different,so just do what feels right to you.There is no right or wrong way,dont worry,and enjoy your meeting.Let me know how you get on.

Amandax

Good luck for Saturday, though you won't need it! Just keep things normal and try not to be all over him, though you will be very tempted! And be prepared for little things like him being scared of stairs or other things he may not have encountered in kennels.

It's not this meeting you need to be worried about - it's the NEXT one when you decide one greyhound isn't enough..! My friend adopted one in November and just got her second a couple of weeks ago...... :luck:

you dont HAVE to allow on the sofa - they are large - but make rules clear and consistent from beginning and have thick comfy bedding, incldung something to lie on near you when you are sitting down. They love their comfort and they enjoy companionship.

be calm when you meet dog, don't make too much of a fuss - some friendly dogs are inclined to jump up. Have you been told whether this dog is outgoing or more shy and reserved?

hope you love your new boy when he comes i love my greyhound there all rescue and all settled in no problem just relaxs and take things one step at a time the rescue should talk you through everything and give you any advice you need. I used to do a lot of home check and before I whent round i would phone them and tell them to wright down anything any quetsins as you forget when the dogs there and your chatting away and doesnt matter how silly you think the question is just ask. It will make you feel more confident and the dog more relaxed.

good luck

ps the odd treet wont go amiss lol

Hi Laura,

Good luck for the weekend!

Kirsten x

you dont HAVE to allow on the sofa - they are large - but make rules clear and consistent from beginning and have thick comfy bedding, incldung something to lie on near you when you are sitting down. They love their comfort and they enjoy companionship.be calm when you meet dog, don't make too much of a fuss - some friendly dogs are inclined to jump up. Have you been told whether this dog is outgoing or more shy and reserved?
They've said he's shy at the moment but i'm sure he'll come around. This is him ..... http://www.greyhoundrescue.net/Connor.htm

Oh and his old racing name is Global Icon , he's been brought over from Ireland

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh he looks great - what a lovely face :wub:

Welcome to K9.

How did you get on today, he looks a nice boy.

My first greyhound was rescue greyhound and she was the best think.

:luck: Good luck with your new boy :luck:

The best bit of advice I was given when I adopted my first greyhound was not to make too much fuss of him at first, and to get him used to being left alone right from the very beginning so as not to set up any problems with separation anxiety.

When he arrives carry on with 'normal life' and doing things around the house, give him a stroke and a kind word if he comes to you but don't make him the centre of attention, and once he's had a chance to explore and perhaps a short walk leave him alone in the room for a while. Leave him regularly right from the start so you don't set up any expectation that you will always be around - there will be lots of time to lavish attention on him once he's settled into your routine.

A thread with some good advice here:

http://greyhoundgap.proboards.com/index.cg...mp;thread=29756

I really hope everything goes well for you, he's gorgeous :wub:

He's gorgeous! What a lovely boy, I hope he makes a super pet for you. He did indeed come over from Ireland, he raced at Tralee and Harolds Cross. You can see details and videos of him in action here http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?l=1399680 you can also see his full pedigree. Good luck with him and if you need any help just post up here there are loads of people with good greyhound experience on here that will be happy to help.

Vicky

x

Hi everyone , the meeting went really well. He was a lovely dog , really calm and quiet. Got to take him for a quick walk and he was really good on the lead. So he moves in with us 1st May. Counting down the days now :D

Gona take a couple of weeks off work when we first get him and make sure he's house trained and get him used to be alone by building up the time he's left alone.

xxx

How exciting, I bet you feel like a kid waiting for Christmas! :lol:

i wonder who's excited then

good luck and once you have one you will be having another :D

i wonder who's excited thengood luck and once you have one you will be having another :D
Lol i was just saying the same thing to my boyfriend the other day , i was saying oh well come xmas we'll get a pal for Connor :D

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back