The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Sausage Dog Problems

kirs

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
A friend of ours bought a miniature sausage dog a few weeks ago and has now decided that it is too much of a handful for him so we are looking after him with the view to keeping him if we can sort out his main problem which is he won't let me out of his sight.I can't even get a shower without him barking and crying the place down.Even if he is fast asleep and I sneak upstairs to do stuff within 5 minutes he is at the bottom of the stairs.If I go outside to hang washing out he barks at the back door until I come back in.I haven't dared try leaving him while I go out.

He is 12 weeks old and the strongest willed puppy I have ever come across.

I leave the telly on while I try and get on with stuff and my Whippets are in the same room as him but it's me he wants. I ignore him the majority of the time to try and break the bond a little but it's getting me worried.

Any ideas please?

I must add that he was the same with his previous owner which is why he couldn't cope with him as he had to go out to work for short spells!

I must add that he was the same with his previous owner which is why he couldn't cope with him as he had to go out to work for short spells!
Ignore is the way forward. He needs to bond with the other dogs, rather than just you. At 12 weeks, he's only just learning that you aren't mum. Does he sleep with the whippets and not near you? He should do :b

I don't feel confident that they would be happy with him sleeping with them yet. He sleeps in a cage. |Thinking of getting a DAP puppy collar

it sounds as if the poor little pup needs some stability in its life, having I assume 3 homes in a month

so ignoring as you leave and return to the pup but lots of stimulating attention inbetween, games and basic training

Hope he starts to settle down

it sounds as if the poor little pup needs some stability in its life, having I assume 3 homes in a month
so ignoring as you leave and return to the pup but lots of stimulating attention inbetween, games and basic training

Hope he starts to settle down

I totally agree . You can understand why the pup is feeling distressed . He needs to have some stability in his life . I would work on get him into a good routine . Also giving him a kong or some other treat when you leave . It will just take time to get him settled :thumbsup:

If he's happy sleeping in his crate then I'd work on making the crate his little 'den' where he feels secure when he's on his own - he needn't be shut in, but it gives him a safe place to learn to relax.

Put a comfy bed in it and a blanket over it, feed him in his crate and use the crate to give him anything nice - treats or toys - so that he sees it as a good place to be, then get him used to settling there with a chew or stuffed kong for short times and build that up gradually.

If he's quiet for a few minutes, praise and reward him with a fuss or quick play session, if he barks ignore him until he's quiet - it's very easy to fall into the trap of ignoring 'good' behaviour (ie the dog lying quietly playing or with a chew) and rewarding unwanted behaviour such as barking with attention.

As others have said, he's only a baby and has had a huge amount of change in a short time so be patient and take things slowly and I'm sure he will settle.

Good luck, I hope all goes well :luck:

Agree with the previous advice. Good luck :luck:

I am sure he will settle down once he learns what is acceptable.

Don't be afraid to leave him and go out building up to longer spells over the next few week and months.

It is less upsetting for you if you do not hear his cries and he will learn that when you are not at home crying for attention is pointless.

Once he is settled in the pack he will feel much more secure.

If he is happy and quiet in his crate, make use of the security it offers him.

Some dogs are very resistant and with all the upset in his young life, it may just take a while.

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back