The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

The Dog Cafe

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Ref. the worktop - I appreciate this particular dog hasn't by the sound of it been taught anything much, but might help others - "down" should only be used if the dog hasn't and never will be taught to lie down using the same word. I use "off", which also sounds a bit gruff and barky. Meanwhile, cooking foil on the worktop creates an unpleasant feel and sound too. Dogs quickly learn that in this house, some behaviours are not allowed which might be okay in their own home.

Hemlock, he doesn't know 'down' as 'lie down', but does understand it as 'four on the floor'. I did think of training 'lie down' (using a completely different word), but haven't managed to lure him into the position so don't think I'll bother - his sit is solid. Foil wouldn't work as he doesn't actually get his paws on the worktop - they're on the front of the unit. I suppose I could dangle it down the front of the cabinets, but as I only have him one day a week it'd be simpler just to shut him out of the kitchen when I'm doing stuff in there.

What always amazes me in this relatively untrained dog is that he can be all bouncy and excited before his walk, but the moment I say 'let's put your lead on' (or maybe when he sees the lead) he sits quite still and waits for me to put it on. He's a little angel really :emoji_blue_heart:

He sounds lovely. I agree closing the kitchen door is a very effective method!

In May down here we have a whole load of artists doing 'open house', where you can visit and look/buy local art. There is one called The Dog Show, I've had a look at some of the work and it's really lovely so I thought I'd share. A lot of the subjects seem to be of the long pointy nose variety, so I think a few of you on here will probably like it! I particularly like the felt dogs, especially the jack, so this is one exhibition I will go to I think... :)

The Dog Show | The DOG SHOW Brighton | England

That’s super. They’re lovely.

Picture the scene, we are on a campsite in Portugal and next to us is a big German van. Three dogs, two of them mainly kept inside but one (little red dog) was running around outside a lot, off lead. Not doing any harm and sticking close to the van. In fact yesterday, I thought he belonged to someone else because he was being a bit annoying to one of their other dogs, I even said to Mr F to look at the canine body language - little red dog was ignoring some very clear back off signals from one of the others. But he was inside the van at other times too.

Later, we saw the German man giving the dog a brush. Then, and at other times, the dog seemed very engaged with him.

This afternoon the people and two dogs were in the van, little red dog was running around outside again. I was reading, he came over and spent five minutes getting pets but went back to the German van. After an hour or so, the German man came out, and the dog alternated between enthusiastically engaging with him and shying away. But I don't know the background so I was trying to make no assumptions. Again, just interesting body language.

Then it got really weird. At about 4pm, a good 26 hours after we arrived and started watching, another man came in. He tried to have a conversation with the German woman but he spoke no German and she didn't speak his language. He put the dog on a lead and took it away! It clearly wasn't their dog at all.

Maybe they were going to just try to adopt it if they thought it was a stray, but it had both a normal collar and a Seresto so it clearly belonged to someone.

Maybe he liked the German people more than his proper owner.

Edit - I just bumped into the German lady. The dog is a stray street dog (very common here). They cleaned it up, and put the Seresto collar on it. The man who took it away was supposed to be from an animal control agency but he obviously just released it, because it was waiting outside the gate just now :mad:

Poor thing, he's a friendly little guy. He would make someone a lovely pet, but T is too old for a boisterous youngster and we have to be home before the 21 days it would take for a rabies vaccine to be valid for travel. Not that I gave it much thought ...

Last edited:
These situations must be so hard when you care about animals:( I can understand why so many street dogs are brought back to uk for adoption from various countries...

If circumstances had been different, I'd have loved to give that little dog a chance.

Suggestions please, First my situation: I am 79, basically healthy but with a bad leg / foot. I have one dog, Folly she is nearly 14 and is quite healthy. She is a real lovely, friendly dog and a brilliant companion. Now obviously one of us will go first and leave the other, if I go, my son has full instructions about what to do with Folly. My dilemma is if I loose her what do I do then? (incidentally I have told her I want her around for at least another ten years). Apart from four months when we first got married I have never lived without a dog my parents had dogs so I grew up with them around and after we got our first we always had one or more often more than one dog. So assuming if it happens I still remain capable physically and mentally to look after one what would be the best way of getting a senior dog. Incidentally, although we have had quite a few different types of dogs I do lean towards sight hounds in general and Whippets in particular. Now obviously I could contact places like J R Whippet rescue and ask about any seniors they have but fortunately for them Whippets do not tend to turn up in rescues often. Another factor would be that I know rescues do tend to stretch their descriptions to suit what they think will get the dog placed and I would not want to take on a younger dog that is very likely to out live me. So what can any one suggest, obviously I hope it is a long time off before I need to do anything but it is playing on my mind a bit.

Have you thought of fostering? That allows a dog to wait for its forever home in a more comfortable environment than a shelter, and gives you canine companionship without the long term concerns.

By the way, we expect at least another ten years from you too, if you please.

Oh noooo:eek:, @JudyN I clicked on that link, like a fool!!! I am such a sucker for the oldies....
I have a year and 8 months(not that I am counting:rolleyes::D)to go on my boarding licence before I could even consider adopting so I must remember not to look!!
@Biker John there are always oldies desperate for homes, well worth looking into, just in case in the very, very far future you may wish to adopt...

Biker John, you have my respect especially with regard to your affection for sighthounds in general and whippets in particular. However, I think that the foster approach would be the best course of action. I think you must put the dog's wellbeing first. I know that this may sound harsh but what will be the outcome for the dog should you be unable to give it the life it it should have? At least with fostering you're enriching a dog's life as only you know how without the potential downside for the dog. I'm very aware that these lovely creatures have no choice in the matter so it's imperative that an altruistic approach should be taken. Now, be happy for what you have and listen to Donald Fagen and Dr. John ("Such a Night")

My neighbour was unable to have a dog fulltime because of her husband.. But she fostered for a charity who home lots of dogs from Romania and Spain including Podenco's she said the wonderful part was seeing them blossom and helping to find the right forever home for them.
Her costs were met by the charity so no food or vet bills and if she felt unable for any reason to accept a foster it was ok. For her situation it was ideal.

Reactions: RGC
RGC, yes to me the dogs wellbeing is the top priority which is why I do not think a younger dog would be suitable for me. I am fortunate in that I have a more than adequate pension hence a charity covering costs is neither here nor there for me. Anyway thanks all for your suggestions I will add them to my mental list in order to help me if I loose my lovely girl, incidentally it is thinking about how it would affect her if I went and left her that got me thinking about it. I know she would be feeling lost and worried.

We are of the same mien, Biker John, but you’ve already made provision for her should the worst happen. Yes, she would be lost but you can’t do anything about it. Just enjoy her while you both can and listen to lovely music. I’m in an unfortunate situation currently - Mabel had five dental extractions yesterday and, although she knows that I’m feeding her, she doesn’t trust me today. This may be for another topic but here goes - I hadn’t been 100% happy with my vet (part of a large corporation) for sometime. They quoted me “be prepared for £800” with regard to Mabel’s prescribed dental operation. I switched to an independent practice to which I paid £580 for the op. Tells one something, nicht wahr?

I do think that an oldie person adopting an oldie dog can work - with necessary support and backup from family and the rescue. You might be taking a dog from a kennel situation where it really isn't thriving, and giving it a happy home for, hopefully, a good period of time even if not for the dog's life. If family are happy to step in and exercise the dog if you can't, and the rescue will take it back (or find another home) if the worst happens, the dog would probably be more than willing to take the risk.

I've known a couple of older people who have had dogs - one whose daughter came over every day to help walk her dog, and t'other who took the dog out every day with his mobility scooter - and the difference the dogs made to the lives of the humans was immense.

JudyN, unfortunately I have no family living near, my son is over 200 miles away. But I could easily employ a dog walker if necessary. After an op on my leg I couldn't take Folly out for about three weeks and I used a walker for her not very successfully though, (not the walkers fault), all Folly would do is walk along with her head down obviously not enjoying it. So she took her to a secure field, let her off lead and all Folly did was stand at the gate waiting to go home. At present I get her out twice a day when my leg is at its best we are out walking for 3/4 hr to an hour. Sometimes I need to cut it short so we are out for 15 or 20 mins, either way Folly is happy sniffing around then running past me before stopping again, (she never goes further than about 100 yards and always keeps me in sight). Every now and again I need to use a mobility scooter and then her 'nurse' side comes out and even off lead she is right by my side, never wandering off.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back