The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

The Dog Cafe

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
@Biker John I had another thought.

Lots of people who work would love to have a dog, but wouldn't want to leave it all day, even with a couple of dog walker visits. You could perhaps offer one to one daytime dog care?

That's an interesting idea @JoanneF but I do think you'd have to be careful with that. Any care of someone else's dog(even one at a time) may require a licence and it would at least be wise to have insurance... things aren't quite as simple as they used to be...
It would have to be researched, I think if you are doing it for a friend or family that doesn't count, or if you are not getting paid?

I've been puppy cuddling! Next-door's Boston terrier had her pups 3 weeks ago - 6 pups, though there was a seventh, which was sadly deformed and stillborn. The remaining 6 are lovely, big and chunky squidgy lumps :emoji_blue_heart: I'm looking forward to taking the granddaughter round, though the mum can be very wary of strangers, so we'll have to see how it goes.

Are you tempted??☺️ Oh I've just discovered loads more emojis!!!😝😁

Are you tempted??☺️ Oh I've just discovered loads more emojis!!!😝😁

Nope - I'm not at all keen on brachy breeds, and looking after K the cavapoo, as lovely as he is, has made me realise the extent to which my heart only really yearns for sighthounds. We went for a coffee in Clevedon when staying with my mum last week, and a local sighthound rescue group took over the outside area, complete with about 10 pointies. Oh my heart... when we left I had to accidentally say hello to one of the pointys, and then stand chatting to the owners for about 15 minutes!

Very respectfully suggesting (you've probably already decided, JudyN, so really this is for people who just read the forum) that G'daughter does not meet pups until they are about 6 weeks old. That's when Mommadogs are usually less protective, and pups are almost fully weaned. Also beware of sharp milk teeth investigating tender toddler skin.

Thanks Hemlock - that does make sense. I don't know how much exposure Mum has had to small children, so she could well find it very stressful. And yes, when they do meet, I'll check just how mouthy they are before letting GD hold one. It wouldn't go down well with Mum or pups if she squealed and dropped the pup!

When my pups met children, I would have the child sitting on a cushion on the floor and letting pup come up rather than giving him/her one to hold. Pups are ever so slippery and can turn round in their skins! Also letting child hold a robust toy and letting pup tug on it rather than on clothing saves any worries from child about having clothes ripped or hands nipped.
IF child can keep speech quiet it saves upsetting the Mommadog or scaring pup with squealing.

Thanks Hemlock - she's pretty well behaved and calm, so should be fine as long as I keep a close eye on proceedings. Mind you, if the litter at 6 weeks is anything like Jasper and siblings were at 7 weeks, I won't be letting her anywhere near them. It'd be like putting her in a tankful of piranhas!

I was chatting to a dog trainer/ behaviourist today, whilst one of my old girls was having a rest and he told me about someone who'd asked him to help with their young terrier who was becoming very unruly and difficult... he turned up to meet them and when chatting to the woman he asked if she knew what kind of terrier she had? She just said well it's a terrier isn't it!? Turns out it was a Russian Black Terrier! She'd bought it online, met someone at a motor way service station and brought it home, she had no idea it wasn't going to stay small!! When he told her how big he was going to get she was horrified, (never mind the other info about his breed) and then felt she wouldn't be able to keep him...I'd never heard of these dogs before so came home and had a google, as you do! The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me...I can't imagine even as a pup it would of looked much like a small terrier pup.:confused:

This is actually a really sad example of people just not thinking though isn't it and as always the dogs suffer:( The sellers/breeders obviously have no care, I really wish there would be better legislation on buying and selling animals online...or just in general tbh!

That's so sad, Flobo. Do some people still not realise that this is not a good way to buy a pup? And of course, unless he's very lucky, it'll be the poor dog who suffers as a result.

Ugh.

I met a man outside Peterborough services a few years ago with an Ovcharka puppy he had just picked up in the same way. I said setting like it'll be an interesting few years ahead and he confidently told me it's all about how you raise them.

Right. Nurture and nature anyone?

I know, some of the other stories he's told me... 3 year old large breed (Caucasian shepherd) developing some serious behavioural problems, turns out he was only walked once or twice a week, mostly lived in front room and just let in small yard to toilet, curtains closed because he barked at passers by and short spells in yard and back in because he also barked out there! And they had 2 small kids... and they wondered why the dog was messed up...so many sad stories...

I just had to google Ovcharka, turns out it's another name for the Caucasian shepherd.. I was writing that when you posted!

This attitude really hacks me off big time. So many people prioritising their wants before the needs of the dog. We saw it during lockdown - people not able to get out so a dog was acquired ‘for company’ and now there’s a glut of poor critters who have had no choice in the matter waiting for adoption - the epitome of betrayal from thick, selfish individuals. There goes my blood pressure.
1713889230738.png

I have long thought that the idea of dog license should be reinstated, but with an important change. It should be similar to a driving license, that is before any one bought a dog they had to pass a test to prove they were able to be in charge of one. Obviously if brought in it would cut the number of dogs being sold which would be a problem for the first few years but eventually it would even out and should change things so that most dogs went to decent homes.

Well it was going well with the new pup, but my partner slipped on a puppy pad and dislocated her knee. She's out of action for up to 10 weeks. Ironically we got a dog so we could walk more...

I hope your partner has a speedy recovery. What a painful injury.

Problem with any form of test for dog ownership - great idea buttttt - is whatever body would conduct it (I bet the RSPCA would push themselves forward as the ideal choice) is unlikely to have the required knowledge. Everyone thinks they know "all about dogs", but relatively few actually do have useful knowledge. Doesn't stop them offering advice, though.

And of course the usual suspects who own plenty of dogs and present dire welfare/training concerns wouldn't buy a licence anyway.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back