The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

5month cockerspaniel puppy advice

Marie_mc

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I'm looking for advice, I have 5 month old cockerspaniel 12.3kg... been feeding him much of dry with wet food breakfast and dinnertime been feeding Asda's hero working puppy food dry mixed with same brand wet... his poos are always wet, start off firm then go sloppy I can't afford £50 monthly subscriptions but I want to give him best diet I can afford can you help/advice please

Supermarket own brand foods are full of fillers ...
Have you thought about a raw diet ....natures menu do foods that have everything in for a balanced diet ...for a dog your size would cost around £12 a week ...diet is a huge part of all of our lives the food you put into your dog for health and behaviour is so important and should have be a huge consideration when getting a dog and whether or not you can afford to feed your dog a good diet...

As above - Hero is a poor quality food, if you have a look at the website www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk, it gives independent reviews of dog foods. If you put in filters for your dog's weight and age, it will also give you an estimated daily cost so you can make proper comparisons.

It estimates your Asda Hero would cost around 30p per day for the dry, but only gives it a 20/100 rating.

That's pretty cheap, it's hard to find anything great value for as little as that but Acana, Lukullus, Carnivore,, Pooch and Mutt and others are under £1 a day and score above 75/100.

For Murphy it was beef, almost all commercial foods contain beef in some way shape or form he had a year on and off diarrhea and medications to help cure the diarrhoea caused by the food. The costs were enormous and the mess was disgusting.
In the end I convinced my husband to try a raw diet and we started by using an elimination technique luckily, starting with beef we discovered the problem almost straight away ..Murphy will be eight this year and we have had no problems since changing to raw. I realised that's not an option for everyone.
But remember that most good quality dog foods require you to feed less so that actually they are not as expensive as they seem

Another vote for raw feeding here - my dog's poos were sloppy, and very frequent, on whatever kibble I gave him, but fine as soon as I changed to raw.

Can't really add anything but please do have a look at the 'all about dog food' site mentioned above, if you don't want to go down the raw route... There are a lot better foods out there than Hero... The saying 'we are what we eat,(or given to eat)' absolutely applies to our dogs and any other animal we adopt into our lives.

We have 5 Working type Cocker Spaniels at the moment, until 5 months ago we had seven.
We have been feeding raw to our Cockers, including the Show Type, for over 40 years. As mature dogs they eat 1/2 lb of meat and bone with offal daily. As growing puppies they do eat more.
Raw diets do not make your dogs over excited, in fact it is reported to help calm some dogs. You know exactly what you are feeding your dog and without any added chemicals.
Poo's are lovely and firm/hard, teeth and mouths are healthy and do not smell, their coats are very shiny without any scurf and we do not suffer from any allergies.
As mentioned "Natures Menu" which can be found in most good pet stores with a freezer, is a good place to start with the raw food
It is a clean no mess product and as convenient as you want to make it!

One of the comments I received from the estate agent when I sold my house was that he would never have guessed that I had two dogs because there was no doggy smell in the house ..

( Due to lung issues we dont use air freshener products)

I am not a house proud person, with the number of dogs living with us it is not possible!
I do worry about doggy smells in the house that we may not notice ourselves and will sometimes ask friends if they notice any doggy smells when entering the house. The answers are always no smell "PHEW" what a relief!
In the summer we always leave as many windows and doors open to get a good air flow but in the winter it is more difficult !

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back