The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Am i doing everything right? Is there more I could do? Prognosis? 14yo springer x recently diagnosed kidney disease

Amazonia

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all,

I'm hoping for some info/advice on my 14 yr old pup spaniel x. She was recently dx with kidney disease after increasing thirst/urination and then bedwetting over the last few months. It look longer than I would have liked to get the diagnosis due to various issues at the vet with lost samples/missing lab results. But at least I have a diagnosis now.

The vet has advised putting her on a renal diet, so I'm currently trying a bunch of them (hills k/d, royal canin, purina etc.) to see what she finds most palatable.
I've stopped giving her animal products as snacks/treats (so no meat, no fish, no liver treats, no bull pizzles or antlers etc. etc. and, to her chagrin, no cheese) and also anything with a lot of sodium (crisps) (which I was only doing rarely anyway, like if a crisp fell on the floor or something). Luckily she's pretty happy chewing on a carrot...

Questions:
How ill is she based on her test results?
Should I expect her symptoms to improve on the new diet, or just not worsen?
What can I expect in terms of prognosis, quality of life?
Should I be encouraging her to drink as much as possible and making her meals as soupy/wet as possible?
Am I doing enough to help her by changing to a medicated dog food, cutting out the cheese/meat in favour of carrots?
Is there anything else I should be doing?
Should I be asking the vet to retest her urine/blood monthly? Or how often? (We're at the vet monthly anyway for her Librela jabs)

History: Spay incontinence since 2yrs (managed with propalin until recently); OA (previously on NSAIDs + gabapentin; now on Librela + gabapentin since Jan 2024)
Signs: polyuria, polydipsia, new bedwetting (flooding) (spay incontinence has only ever been dripping)
Duration: increasingly since Jan

Test results
bloods
(March 2024)

• ALP 656
  • ALT 50 (i.e. normal)
  • BUN 12.0
  • CRE 126
  • MCH 26.5
(other values normal)

urinalysis (April 2024)
  • Total protein (Urine/CSF) 0.81 g/L
  • Urine Creatinine 3.28 mmol/L
  • UPC ratio 2.19
  • U specific gravity 1.011
(all other values normal)

I'm sorry I don't have answers (hopefully someone else will have more practical help) but I didn't want to read and run. Would your vet have advice, or maybe one of the nutritionists at a dog food company - they can be really helpful.

I hope you get some advice.

My lurcher was diagnosed with kidney failure ...I put him on royal canin wet and dry renal food which he hated ....I regret every day not just letting him have anything he wanted ...to me at 14 it should be quality not quantity...we only want to do the best for them ...my boy was coming up 11 and had previously had a stroke ...
Looking back if she were my dog I would let her have her usual food and let her have the best quality of life she has left ..But that is just my opinion...I wish you and your girl all the best and send you a huge Hug it's so hard to do what is best for our dogs xxxkara

I am also so sorry to hear about your girl, it is the hardest thing ever... My only advice would be to write all those questions down and ask the vet, I always think we pay through the nose for consultations, so the least we should expect is the time to really go through any questions we may have with regards to a diagnoses, treatment options/plans and prognosis... usually things we think of after we have left.

My only experience with kidney disease is with my ferret( both kidneys show signs of degeneration and he has cysts in them too), I take a urine sample into the vets every few weeks where they test for specific gravity primarily, which shows if there is any deterioration. I keep his fluids up, an eye on his output, his appetite and on his mobility and desire to interact and play, indications on how well he is feeling in himself....he did quite suddenly show signs of discomfort this week, so he is back on buprenorphine which has helped. For him it is about managing his condition, I know he is not going to get better... BUT of course he is not a dog and your girls diagnosis will differ... we do have to remember as well how stoic animals can be. Wishing you and your girl every best wish x

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back