The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

can't work out a dog food for my dog

Ken Thomas

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
my 11 year old jackshi is so fussy with food, only eats wet food but what to get him not worried about price but want a good food, eats one day (full amount) next day next to nothing give him fresh chicken some times eats other time sniff it and walk away, any ideas.

Have you tried raw .....or ...
Natures menu tinned was what I used when one of mine went through a fussy stage ...quite expensive but he ate it all ...

Have you tried raw .....or ...
Natures menu tinned was what I used when one of mine went through a fussy stage ...quite expensive but he ate it all ...

yea no go looked at it looked at me and walked off.

You use the expression “just walks off/away”. Is this with disappointment in that he may have been expecting something else? Is he actually hungry? Forgive my query but I’ve only ever had sighthounds who’d eat for England and were never picky food wise. The only time food was refused was when it was off (and confirmed by the retailer) or when they weren’t feeling well. Would it help to serve just a tiny amount at a time? Would a dog go hungry as a result of being picky? Hope you reach a mutually beneficial conclusion.

even put down a bowl of fresh chicken would not touch it, think I will try Cesar and Lilly's kitchen.

Are you monitoring his weight? Is it possible he's just not hungry? It's so easy to overfeed tiny dogs.

possible he has 3 meals of 140 grams a day and he is 7 kilos has a couple of treats so under recommended, and not losing weight, so not that worried, just want to find him something he likes.

It might help if you reduced his food just a little, so you know he's actually hungry when you introduce a new food. And if he turns up his nose, don't react - just leave it for a while, then pick it up and try again at the next meal, maybe reverting to something he's eaten before in case he genuinely doesn't like the new one.

Have his teeth been checked recently? Toothache could also put him off eating.

That sounds alot of food ...my Jack russell is 6kgs and he has 2 meals of 100g minced raw a day ...
I would feed twice a day .....and see if that works

yea will cut him down, but pretty active so would think he burns it off.

Our Cocker Spaniels weigh between 10kg to 12.5kg and are all very active. They have about 1/2lb of raw meat each a day, those who come beating a couple of times a week at the moment require more (sometimes as much as a 1lb each) as they really do burn up the calories!
The amount that you are feeding such a small type of dog sounds quiet a lot, and his age is something else to consider too, as with us everything slows down as we age and less food is required.
I would suggest that he is not hungry and you are worrying about him too much.:rolleyes:
It is quiet healthy and normal for our dogs to be hungry and always wanting their next meal.
Just one or two meals a day should be absolutely fine for an adult dog.
Try @Tinytom s suggestions of two smaller meals daily.

Treats should be part of daily rations and not an extra:(

@JudyN has mentioned his teeth, maybe a visit to the vet for a dental check up would be a good idea too.:)

just cut him from 140 grams to 100 grams
For what it’s worth, Mabel gets 90 grams of raw for breakfast and again for her early evening meal. Between meals she’ll get <2 bonios plus a few tiny treats. Her optimum weight is 15 kilos. She doesn’t look as though she’s gaining nor losing weight. Her daily intake is just below 3% of her optimum weight. Would anyone know if I’m following the right track? As already said, she would eat for England.

Her daily intake is just below 3% of her optimum weight. Would anyone know if I’m following the right track? As already said, she would eat for England.

3% of 15kg would be 450g a day - do the Bonios and treats make up the rest, or have I got my sums wrong? What does she weigh at present?

that's what the dietary nurse told me to feed my 7 kilo dog

It'll depend on the food though - the weight of food needed will be different between raw food and commercial food, and also between different types of commercial wet food depending on the ingredients.

yes but she went on what it said on the packet, I gave him a mix today of half fresh chicken and half Lilly's dog food on his 2nd and 3rd food and he cleared the lot and was looking for more.

3% of 15kg would be 450g a day - do the Bonios and treats make up the rest, or have I got my sums wrong? What does she weigh at present?
You’ve hit the nail on the head. Bonios come in at 26g each and, together with her other bits and pieces (treats, chicken sticks, half a Woofbrush chew and tiny bits (for inclusion purposes) from us, she’s on about 450ish daily.

How do you get a dog to fall asleep out of boredom? Fish out a guitar and sing “Truly Scrumptious” to her…..
B9A4FA19-0406-4366-9CEB-7D2A4C231D77.jpeg

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back