The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Check in

Sez1

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi
I was watching a dog training YouTube about training your dog on recall and heard him criticise the check in with treats method others use saying it undermines the value of the command..or something.
As Ash is being kept on a longline at present l have been rewarding him for responding to a recall command but mostly rewarding for eye contact closer check-ins,often non verbally. Am l wrong, what do you think? He is a spaniel and when off lead does tend to run quite a long way(and back) so would like him to stay a bit closer.
I realise there are lots of methods and have found merit in each.

Can you point us to the video - not saying this is one of them but there are some questionable trainers on YouTube.

My take is that to successfully train something, it has to be rewarding for the dog. So if that means sausages, I'd use sausages. Not necessarily every time, the 'what will the reward be' factor raises the excitement level for a dog (apparently it's very similar to the buzz some people get from playing slot machines) - but at least some of the time.

I agree - to make it easy for a dog to want to do as we ask, it has to be worthwhile to the dog. Small check-ins build the practice of seeing being close to us as rewarding, and being allowed to carry on doing something they like after the check-in (rather than being put on the lead etc.) increases the desire of the dog to do what we want the next time. In business management, this is called the win/win situation, as in you win AND the dog wins, rather than being a one wins/one loses scene.

Can you point us to the video - not saying this is one of them but there are some questionable trainers on YouTube.

My take is that to successfully train something, it has to be rewarding for the dog. So if that means sausages, I'd use sausages. Not necessarily every time, the 'what will the reward be' factor raises the excitement level for a dog (apparently it's very similar to the buzz some people get from playing slot machines) - but at least some of the time.
Not sure..l will see if l can find it again. I guess it's the strong opinions that trainers have that undermines my confidence.

I

Just because they are confident doesn't necessarily mean they are right ;)

But you may have heard the saying, the only thing two trainers will agree on is that a third one is wrong!

There are a lot of so called"Balanced"trainers on the internet who disapprove of reward based training & use all-sorts of aversive methods & tools to"train"dogs.
I've been a force free reward based trainer since the early 1960s, when I started training a dog that had been literally beaten into total shutdown by a local"dog breaker" It took me over a year to overcome the behaviours caused by the abuse & learnt how to train without fear with her.
I now use clicker training to show owners how to get their dogs to learn by using their brains & intelligence, I've using a clicker for around 30 years

Update on check in training.
I have been trying to encourage Asher to stay closer and remain responsive. Quite hard work while he is on a longline and trying to prevent poo eating while on a ramble. Keeping it loose so he is feels he is off lead. I am using a lot of treats but I am pleased to see progress at least in one location. I forgot the treats one morning and he kept checking in to my big smile and verbal praise.
The real challenge will be at the beach in an open grass area. It was fairy quiet today so while he kept the longline on I kept him close and was ready to stand on it then call him back. This is an area that has been a source of food scavenging and a spaniel's nose can scent it from some distance!

I know I am not the only one with a dog who poo eats and scavenges but I sometimes feel that I am worrying too much...when dog owners say breezily, "Oh my dog does that, did that..etc." and the dog is scampering all over the place. Maybe their dog has an iron stomach!

pleased to see progress at least in one location.
Great news! And, the fact it is in one location isn't unusual, dogs don't generalise well so 'perform X behaviour' in one place doesn't always click with them to perform it in other locations.

I know I am not the only one with a dog who poo eats and scavenges but I sometimes feel that I am worrying too much...when dog owners say breezily, "Oh my dog does that, did that..etc." and the dog is scampering all over the place. Maybe their dog has an iron stomach!
To us, it's really gross but to a dog it's actually not an abnormal behaviour. Bitches do it for their puppies to keep the area clean and I'm pretty sure I've read that adult males to it to keep their location disguised from threats.

It makes sense to worry about the behaviour if it's making him sick though. Or if he's a face-licker, of course:D I'm glad you're seeing progress - well done.

It makes sense to worry about the behaviour if it's making him sick though. Or if he's a face-licker, of course:D I'm glad you're seeing progress - well done.
face licker.? ..intrigued

face licker.? ..intrigued

A dog who likes to lick your face - some people are quite happy with this, but chances are they've just been giving their bum a good clean... :confused:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back