The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Daddy's Boys

Linbin

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Without being soppy. Whoever said that dogs do people who are ill the world of good are spot on.

After a year of horrible treatment for cancer, Peter has found the best medicine is 2 small whippets. They have given him a reason to get up in the morning - and it's not just the howling, lol. (w00t)

He loves to take them for their walks, feed them, play with them and cuddle them. They have an afternoon snooze with Dad and help him watch the football. It is amazing to see such a change in someone after only a couple of months, he looks so happy and full of beans. Thank you Lesley and Sonya for 2 great companions.

DSC00735-1.jpg

DSC00737.jpg

That is brilliant - they are wonderful therapy - so glad that yours have made such a difference :huggles: :huggles: :huggles:

:huggles: :huggles: :huggles: Nothing better than whippet therapy. I loved the photos and your story. Thanks for sharing :huggles:

I agree 100 per cent :thumbsup:

Animals (especially whippets :D ) are the best medicine you can get :)

So lovely to see the pictures :huggles:

How lovely they can realy give you a reson to keep fighting I know that. I thinbk they should be snet round to hospitals on the nhs much better than auntydepressants :D

Couldn't agree more - am sure there are all kinds of valid psychological reasons why having something other than your own distress and discomfort to focus on, helps with the healing process.

But lets face it, a whippet or 2 to cuddle just makes ya feel good

I know mine have got me through all kinds of rough patches :thumbsup:

Awwwww :wub: That is SUCH a lovely pic :thumbsup:

People who don't like animals have no idea what joy they are missing from their lives.

My husband is on medication for depression and some days he just ain't up to much and feels SO exhausted that even walking is too much and our whippie Tina always seems to sense this and will just huggle up to him and comfort him with her presence :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow - they really are daddy's boys aren't they - can't beat a whippet cuddle :huggles: Best wishes for Peter's continued recovery :)

Jill

x

Those picture make me feel so happy, when you told me in the beginning that Pax had made such a difference to both after such a horrid year I felt so privaliged to know that we were a part of that, :huggles: there are no two more deserving people of happiness :huggles:

Pax and Zulu have such a lovely home, they are two lucky boys :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

That is very soppy, but soppy is good.

That is a lovely story, with lovely pics.

I too know that sometimes whippets are better than any medicine, I miss Patches so much and can't wait to have our litle pup to keep me company and keep me smiling!!

:lol: :wub:

Little footnote here.....

Our next door neighbours at our first house when I was younger used to take their golden retriever to old peoples homes. I think it was part of a local scheme or something, they went to all types of homes and just let people stroke the dogs.

Probably not allowed to do that sort of thing anymore cos of health and safety and all that but I think it is such a nice thing to do! And definately beneficial.

doggy182 said:
Little footnote here.....Our next door neighbours at our first house when I was younger used to take their golden retriever to old peoples homes. I think it was part of a local scheme or something, they went to all types of homes and just let people stroke the dogs.

Probably not allowed to do that sort of thing anymore cos of health and safety and all that but I think it is such a nice thing to do!  And definately beneficial.
think you're probably thinking of Pets As Therapy (PAT) and they are very much alive and kicking - bringing furry joy into people's lives

doggy182 said:
Our next door neighbours at our first house when I was younger used to take their golden retriever to old peoples homes. I think it was part of a local scheme or something, they went to all types of homes and just let people stroke the dogs.
Probably not allowed to do that sort of thing anymore cos of health and safety and all that but I think it is such a nice thing to do!  And definately beneficial.

That sounds like Pets As Therapy dogs - and yes, you can still do it. You need to contact P.A.T and your dog has to pass an assessment.

Oooh sorry - meant to also say - that's a lovely tale about your 2 whippets helping their Dad - and the photos are so appealing.

Dogs can sometimes make you feel so much better, can't they.

Lynne,

Sonya dosnt come onto K9 very much but when I tell her this story Im sure she will feel pleased too that little Zulu along with Pax has made such a difference to you and your husbands lives... :huggles: :huggles:

I hope that the whippety treatment does him the word of good... :huggles: :huggles: and of course its lovely to know that those two have such a special loving home too. :wub: they are a credit to you both. I just wish there were more homes out there like yours,.... :) :thumbsup:

urchin said:
doggy182 said:
Little footnote here.....

think you're probably thinking of Pets As Therapy (PAT) and they are very much alive and kicking - bringing furry joy into people's lives

That is really great to hear!

Might look into it at some point, would love to help more people with the whippet love.

From these pics and story you can see how well it works.

:thumbsup:

What a lovley warm story and doesn't daddy look comfy with his two boys. I laughed at your saying they helped Peter watch football, my two football watchers are both sitting with a whippet on their chairs at the moment.

Jenny

They are very special little dogs aren't they.

Beautiful pictures of them with Dad and how lovely they

are helping him so much :huggles:

Thank you everyone for all your lovely comments.

I agree, whippets would make wonderful dogs to go to peoples homes who are ill, they are so naturally loving and sweet dogs. :wub:

They would especially help people with depression, I know before we got them I was so stressed out and down and it has been a tonic having them to look after and focus on.

Peter is in remission now, he goes to hospital once a month for a bit of treatment and to check everything is okay. He has a very positive attitude and good sense of humour and I know that has helped in his recovery.

We are looking forward to lots of walks, days out and holidays with them. Getting the pups is one of our best decisions. :huggles:

Whippets PMA rubs off :) it's infectious!

:luck: to your hubby.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back