The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Ella's Got Kennel Cough

Julie D

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
:( poor Ella has been sneezing but when she started this peculiar cough like something was stuck in her throat I took her to the vet, she's got a bacterial infection with swollen neck glands, so had an anti-inflammatory injection and a course of antibiotics, she's got to stay in for a few days and avoid other dogs for a week, poor girl.

She's her normal bouncy self and had a great run like mad around the garden for ages today but ran in with muddy feet on the lovely floor I'd just cleaned o:)

Good job she gobbles up her tablets, our last dog could flick them out of a disguise in seconds.

(p.s. how does a vet know it's a bacterial infection rather than viral ?)

I've laundered every blanket, bedding and toy, just incase.

I felt quite guilty because I thought it might have been due to the liver cake pieces I gave her, in the dim morning light I hadn't noticed they'd grown a green + white fluff of mould all over :oops: ... how do you stop it going like that ?

Oh poor Ella :( hope she's feeling better soon :luck: sounds like you were giving her your own home-grown penicillin culture there :lol: :lol:

Ooooh poor princes.. I hope she feels better soon ! :huggles:

Give Ella a big hug and a lick from Dobé

Please keep posting pictures of her, she's so lovely :b

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]GET WELL SOON ELLA![/SIZE] :huggles:

Without a swab culture it's hard to know whether she has got a bacterial infection although some infections reveal obvious clinical findings that it's pretty obvious to the person examining. For example with humans who have Candida infections, it's pretty much obvious to the doctor. If it isn't obvious then the port of call is usually to give anti-biotics and watch for a response. The best human situation I can think of is the patient presenting with inflammed tonsils and enlarged lymph nodes, if it's tonsilitis, it usually responds to anti-biotics if it doesn't then you start thinking of viral infections e.g. Glandular fever. You also have the issue that if there's no response to anti-biotics, it doesn't neccesarily mean it's not bacterial, it could just be that the bacteria is resistant to that form of anti-biotic. Fun and games eh?

To me your vet's spot on with their treatment, they suspect it's bacterial, are treating appropiately and watching for a response. I'm sure she'll be fine and home with you soon. :)

Awwwww poor wee Ella hope she's feeling better soon :huggles:

SOUNDS LIKE GREEN LIVER POISONING TO ME (w00t) :D

Get well soon Ella :wub:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back