The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Epilepsy

JemimaGoldie

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Does any member's dog have epilepsy? My four year old Golden Retriever started having seizures last year and is on medication. She has had all the tests, MRI and spinal tap, but no particular reason for it. The problem I have is I am never sure what to do after a seizure, whether to keep her home for the day to get over it, or take her out for a short walk. Last night she had 2 fits in a row starting at 2.30 this morning. I stayed up with her and she is always frightened after, but now I am wondering whether to take her for a short walk today or keep her quiet.

Does she offer any behaviours that would help you decide?

If she is still unsettled, I'd probably have a quiet day at home. If she behaves normally, I'd probably stick to your normal routine.

Does she offer any behaviours that would help you decide?

If she is still unsettled, I'd probably have a quiet day at home. If she behaves normally, I'd probably stick to your normal routine.
She went back to sleep about 6 and is still sleeping. I won't wake her specially, but I worry that she is not getting enough exercise. She has put on a lot of weight recently and has been on low fat food, but not sure if she has lost any. Thanks for the reply.

I would just follow her lead too as Joanne said. Having fits is exhausting for them, if she only has them occasionally I wouldn't worry about the lack of exercise too much in the time directly after...

I took her out (we drive to a dog playing field) and she had a sniff round then went and lay under a picnic table! It is such a worry. Thanks for your advice.

She had another seizure at 1.30. It is unusual for her to have a gap of a only a few hours in between. Hope that's it for today.

Have you told your vet? Maybe her meds need tweaked.

Also, is it hotter today? I believe keeping cool helps a bit.

Have you told your vet? Maybe her meds need tweaked.

Also, is it hotter today? I believe keeping cool helps a bit.
Her medication was increased last time and yes, she does seem to be panting a lot.

If you feel the frequency of her fits is changing even with the medication tweak, or any behaviour change really, it may be worth mentioning it to your vet. I'm unsure of the epilepsy medications on offer for dogs now, there may be alternatives? I had a dog back in the late 80's/ early 90's(gulp!) that had epilepsy and she was on phenobarbitone, which managed it pretty well...

If you feel the frequency of her fits is changing even with the medication tweak, or any behaviour change really, it may be worth mentioning it to your vet. I'm unsure of the epilepsy medications on offer for dogs now, there may be alternatives? I had a dog back in the late 80's/ early 90's(gulp!) that had epilepsy and she was on phenobarbitone, which managed it pretty well...
Jemima is on phenobarbitone. She started off with one twice a day and is now up to three, so I don't want them to give her any more. Usually she will go a few weeks between seizures, but when they come, they never come in ones. I have to go to vet soon to collect her skin allergy medication, so I'll see what they say then. It is a scary business.

It is scary and heart breaking when your dog has fits:( My heart does go out to you x

It is scary and heart breaking when your dog has fits:( My heart does go out to you x
Thank you. She thrashes about all over the place, knocked the cat biscuit feeder over and spread them all over the place. But the worst I think is that she tries to get into corners and behind the furniture. I'm frightened she's going to hurt herself. Yesterday I stayed up with her from 2.30 am in case. Still, we get on with it, don't we? Apart from that, she is the easiest dog I've ever had.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back