The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Facebook

wild whippies

Super-D-Duper
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
It has been brought to my attention that a photo I had taken of a whippet having a trial at Westhoughton had been stolen by an anti greyhound racing page on facebook. The allegations implied that the dog concerned was a greyhound and was ''running for it's life''.

Further viewing has also revealed that the anti had attended a whippet racing event and taken photos of vehicles in the car park (with registration plates visible) along with some images of racers and their families. All this has been reported along with a serious report made under U.S. Federal law for breach of copyright.

I have spent a long evening hunting down connections and it would appear the person behind the page has friends not only on my friends list but also on other racers.

Can you all please check all your friends on facebook ensuring that you know exactly who they are and whether they have any connections to anti racing. (some of the people connected with this individual are whippet owners but not neccesarily whippet racers)

The easiest way to do this is to look at the person's Like's page.

Do not presume that because someone has a pik of a dog on their profile that they're a whippet racer and do not presume that because they have the same friends as yourself that they're someone connected to racing) If you do not know the person, message them and ask who they are. (Remember how many people accepted Sharon Brown without knowing the individual and the serious allegations they made in our sport)

Can you also for your own security ensure your settings on facebook do not share your information, posts or photos with the public. (see privacy and setting tabs on facebook)

I have a number of friends who have attended club racing who have connections with animal care e.g. pet shop owners, dog walkers, dog groomers. Such allegations of animal cruelty being implied to any of these individuals who may have brought their dog along for a fun day out could potentially have their careers ruined by such accusations. The person concerned who owned the dog in this case does have a career working with dogs, thankfully I hadn't tagged them but it could of been potentially damaging to them.

I would like to thank the individual who brought this to my attention and I would also like to thank my friends on facebook who have also reported the page.

I do not wish to post neither the name of the page or the suspected owner on here as a simple google could bring them to this site which would cause us more problems.

I would also ask certain people contact me personally as their is a close connection between me and one of the anti's friends which I am refraining from posting publicly because frankly it's a embarassing.

I will be starting a clear out of all those individuals connected, I would urge others to study their friends list on facebook as well.

I am hoping by us all being cautious, I can continue sharing piks of members dogs racing but I do need the co-operation of my facebook friends. If I cannot ensure this, the I will have no other option but to confine photos to my flickr site which is more secure.

I would also suggest people attend racing meets approach anyone attending a meet who looks unknown or suspicous. There is nothing wrong with being friendly and introducing yourself to what may be a potential newcomer to racing but I would hope it would also be intimidating enough for anyone who is there for alterior motives.

Many thanks

Jacqui

Hi Jacqui, I know the feeling. I have to be so carefull with my dogs photos and videos, in the wrong hands the images could be in the papers in a flash, its too easy to edit pics and vids these days.

If you like you could throw the person in the back of my van with Hatty for 10 mins, I dont have a problem with that.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back