The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Feeding Dogs Raw Pigeon?

lukkylady

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
i just wanted to know if its viable?

my dogs are on the raw diet.

the dog that has pups is also on puppy dry food as well.

i feed raw chicken, turkey, rabbit,lamb, beef, tripe and also offer rice, pasta, veg etc.

my boyfriend has a mate who goes to farms etc and shoots pigeons.

and he eats them himself?

i want to know if pigeon can be fed to dogs?

i know in theory they can, but i thought pigeons are full of parasites & worms?

i dont want to put my dogs at risk with anything like that.

i know the lurcher would love it lol.

if you freeze and then thaw. is it safe to feed pigeons?

I dont claim to be an expert on BARF...but do feed my own dogs this way...they have also had raw rabbit, chicken, tripe, pheasant, lamb and beef.

I have read up a great deal about the diet and wood pigeons are mentioned as safe to feed. If I ever get offered any...as my hubby dosnt go shooting

these days...I would certainly not turn my nose up at eating pigeon myself, so therefore would not be afraid to feed it to my dogs either. :thumbsup:

I dont claim to be an expert on BARF...but do feed my own dogs this way...they have also had raw rabbit, chicken, tripe, pheasant, lamb and beef.
I have read up a great deal about the diet and wood pigeons are mentioned as safe to feed. If I ever get offered any...as my hubby dosnt go shooting

these days...I would certainly not turn my nose up at eating pigeon myself, so therefore would not be afraid to feed it to my dogs either. :thumbsup:
My dad shoots and feeds his cockers pigeon. They are fine and love it, although as with all new food introduce slowly as it is very rich! And again as normal if feeding raw i would suggest more regular worming :) just my advice

Chickens are better for dogs than pigeons and I think pigeons are free roaming birds and I have never heard of feeding that to a dog unless it is free of disease.If it is not a free bird that is in the wild, then may be it can be safe, but again anything that is in the wild is not safe due to diseases and giving it to your dog.

Chickens are better for dogs than pigeons and I think pigeons are free roaming birds and I have never heard of feeding that to a dog unless it is free of disease.If it is not a free bird that is in the wild, then may be it can be safe, but again anything that is in the wild is not safe due to diseases and giving it to your dog.
why is chicken better?? imo wild pigeon (not feral) is 100% safe, proof is my dogs that have been fed it for many years with only positive results

Heya Lesley :D

Anything that a dog can catch naturally in the wild is ok to feed IMO :thumbsup: Mine eat pheasant regularly (they catch them :b ) but I do freeze and defrost rabbit and other meat before I feed it to avoid any contamination.

The most likely issue with using wild birds for food is salmonella infection, but dogs' digestive systems are designed to cope with this and it shouldn't be a problem provided the dog is healthy :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
well no wild pigeon yet lol

ive started lea back on her raw diet

and she loves it!

everything is frozen and defrosted

before she eats it :thumbsup:

well no wild pigeon yet lolive started lea back on her raw diet

and she loves it!

everything is frozen and defrosted

before she eats it :thumbsup:

Good luck....and watch the results with the dogs coats and teeth...... :thumbsup:

Mine eat rabbit.They love to drink the juice/gravy if i boil it. They love it.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back