Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New Home Needed Grace - Older Greyhound (lurcher?) In Pontyclun

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilmousk

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Grace is an 8 year old greyhound and is currently on foster in Pontyclun, South Wales.

The Grace Fact File

Dog status: Very good

Cat status: Cannot be rehomed with cats or small animals

Child status: very good could be rehomed with children over the age of 6 years

House training: Nearly perfect

Home alone: Can be left for as few hours. Not suitable for full time worker.

Basic training: Knows sit, is learning lie down and responds to her name.

Grace2.jpg

Hi everyone my name is Grace and I am a greyhound. I forget how old I am (plus I have been told a lady never reveals her age) but i am believed to be around 7 or 8 years old. I am keeping tight lipped about my past, I am leaving it a complete mystery but I wound up at the pound as a stray. I have been living with a lovely foster home for a month or so now and they have been very welcoming. I have 4 canine foster brothers and sisters and one human sister who is 8 years old. I love my human sister, she is my favourite person and I could be rehomed with other children. I am a bit too old to be running around after little ones but children over the age of 6 who are used to dogs would be fine by me.

As I said I have been living with other dogs and I am good with them and happy to share my toys and bed. I can be a bit bossy when people are giving out cuddles and affection. I always like to get in there first and I will jump the queue if another dog is in my way. I think to save arguments I would be best rehomed with fewer canine companions than i have in my foster home. Maybe just one other dog or with me as the only dog (and therefore centre of attention anyway

Grace3.jpg

I would like an active and fun loving new family. I do not need huge walks for miles and miles but I like to go out for a sniff and a mooch. I do not pull on the lead, I am content to walk by your side. I would like a garden with secure fences that I can potter around in and chase after a toy.

I am definitely looking for a tactile and affectionate new family to match my character. I have a lot of love to give and am a real cuddle bunny. I am not looking to be a dog on the side lines of family life. I want to be right there in the thick of it.

Grace making the most of the armchair

Grace7.jpg

Grace8.jpg

All Hope Rescue dogs are neutered, vaccinated, wormed, flea treated and microchipped prior to rehoming. A homecheck will be required, and you will need to come and meet the dog with your own dogs and family. Hope Rescue rehomes throughout the UK. A Pre-Home Interest Form can be downloaded from www.hoperescue.org.uk and should be returned to dogs@hoperescue.org.uk

love the valentine card

sounds like a very loving lurcher

You can’t beat an oldie (dignified?) pointy dog!

Hi folks, here I am again. I have had a good romp around the garden, with my greyhound friend Millie and here I am resting on two beds. Good job mum has not photographed my dirty feet!!

Grace9.jpg

Grace went for a quick walk down to the village last night and she was once again very well behaved. She stopped and waited when asked. Her fosterer thought she might have pulled her up the hill a bit, but "no chance" she just walked beside her.

Grace10.jpg

Grace11.jpg

Great to see our four dogs running and playing in the garden today, although I do wish they would stop digging holes. Maisie, our couch potato, left the youngsters to romp with each other and Grace had a great time with Amber and Millie. Really hard to put an age on her, she acts so much like a "teenager" Tonight Millie and I shared the bed in the kitchen, after tea and Millie even let Mum take a photo,of her, with me. She is such a scaredy cat, when it comes to photos.....

Grace12.jpg

Well what can I say, we had the pleasure of Grace's (and Sally's!) company today at the Spring Fayre. She is absolutely fabulous!!!!

She is much younger than she looks and has such a calm and placid nature. She took the whole event in her stride and greeted other dogs and children beautifully. Don't be fooled though as she is not a boring hound by any means and she has a very cheeky side when faced with a table of cake!

I cannot believe Grace has been waiting so long. She is the perfect companion for any family and I cannot fault her.

Some pictures of her...

Grace15.jpg

Grace16.jpg

Let me dispel a few myths about Lurchers, sight hounds, long dogs, or pointy dogs, whatever you want to call them

They call Grace a Lurcher, but to my eye she is 90% if not 100% greyhound. Some people think they need miles of exercise to keep them fit .. not true, they are built for speed, not stamina! 20 minutes or so at a time, if they are off lead in a secure area, is enough. They will spend the rest of the time dozing, at least until teatime!

They need an expensive diet .. not true, you hear of greyhound trainers feeding their dogs all sorts of exotic stuff, and admittedly they do thrive better on fresh meat (or frozen that has been carefully stored and thawed) rather than tinned or dry food, but it doesn't have to be the expensive stuff. 2 - 3% of their bodyweight of fresh meat and bit of mixer per day is ample to keep them going. Try raw tripe, my two whippets love it, and it doesn't smell until you cook it, so don't!

They are highly strung, and not good with kids .. not true. In my experience adult long dogs are very laid back, and love a cuddle, with kids or anyone. Younger dogs love to play, and have enough energy to delight the most active of children.

They are untrainable for anything except running .. not true. Admittedly some are not the most biddable of dogs, but simple stuff like recall, sit, stay etc they can learn very quickly, unless of course they get the scent of anything small and furry that runs away! Some are even trainable enough to do agility and obedience, they are certainly not stupid dogs! It is however, not advised to home a long dog with small furries, or timid cats! Especially if the furries are allowed to run around free. Confident cats that will stand their ground are usually OK. But be safe and test first!

All this of course is generalisation, but if you've not had one before, it's a guide.

So if you want a loving, faithful, easy to maintain dog either as a companion, or a family pet, you could do a lot worse than a long dog!

Is the lovely Grace still looking?

Grace is currently reserved pending a meet with his potential new home. I have no doubt about her but the resident dog can be "opinionated" so its fingers crossed :)

Grace is currently reserved pending a meet with his potential new home. I have no doubt about her but the resident dog can be "opinionated" so its fingers crossed :)
Oh best of luck Grace!!

Did that home work out for the lovely Grace?

Closing this due to lack of updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back