The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Harness Recomendations for Lurcher

Brodie982754

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone,

Our six month old lurcher puppy needs a new harness. The problem we are having is that he has slightly odd body proportions due to his mix (mainly a greyhound x beagle x foxhound + many other breeds) and his current harness fits in some areas but not others. Due to him being a lurcher we need a harness that will give him lots of movement but can be adjusted in different areas to fit him properly. I have seen some custom harnesses that look great. However, he is growing like a horse so I dont want to spend the money on a custom one if it will only fit him for a month!

Thanks so much for any suggestions

I was going to suggest Perfect Fit harnesses, which get great reviews - but the fact that he's still growing might make that an expensive option. However, they seem to be really helpful, so if you sent them his current measurements and approximate adult measurements, they might be able to suggest something with enough adjustment so you wouldn't have to replace all the components as he grows. It might just be worth a try.

Hi everyone,

Our six month old lurcher puppy needs a new harness. The problem we are having is that he has slightly odd body proportions due to his mix (mainly a greyhound x beagle x foxhound + many other breeds) and his current harness fits in some areas but not others. Due to him being a lurcher we need a harness that will give him lots of movement but can be adjusted in different areas to fit him properly. I have seen some custom harnesses that look great. However, he is growing like a horse so I dont want to spend the money on a custom one if it will only fit him for a month!

Thanks so much for any suggestions
your dog is a mongrel not a lurcher..
I have never used a harness as they are designed for animals to pull things..
just use a wide collar that is for long knocked dogs..
I use a Italian greyhound collar on our jack x Australian terrier because of the fact the neck is long

Not necessarily. To be fair, it's training rather than tools that prevent pulling, but harnesses reduce the risk of damage to the throat in strong pullers.

20240306_000512.jpg

your dog is a mongrel not a lurcher..
just use a wide collar that is for long knocked dogs..
I use a Italian greyhound collar on our jack x Australian terrier because of the fact the neck is long
Thanks for your suggestion, we have used the thick collars but he does better on the harness as it eliminates pulling on the throat.

Our dog is classed as a lurcher cross by the rescue charity and our vet. A lurcher cross is defined as a sight hound crossed with another breed. He is 80% sight hound and the others breed make up the remaining 20%

Thanks for your suggestion, we have used the thick collars but he does better on the harness as it eliminates pulling on the throat.

Our dog is classed as a lurcher cross by the rescue charity and our vet. A lurcher cross is defined as a sight hound crossed with another breed. He is 80% sight hound and the others breed make up the remaining 20%
From my experience with working dogs , a custom extra wide fit collar that is also thick enough will prevent neck and throat issues and is worth the expense.

I've personally not known a harness not to cause a dog to pull more and be aware a badly fitted/badly made harness or not wide enough and stiff enough can cause shoulder and chest issues .

Regards, Bradley.

I'm believe the comment you're replying to is refering to the fact any dog of unknown lineage/pedigree is a mutt/mongrol. Which is technically correct . I take it they are just being factual.

Having owned many mutt rescues and fostered even more. Just take it your dog is a one off and is special to you .

A dogs, breed is earned and for owners who pride themselves in bloodlines and being able to trace the lines back it's important not to call any dog with no proof of breeding that breeds name.

Oh absolutely. To us, our dog is our own unique breed and that’s what makes him so amazing. Mongrel, mutt, lurcher, it doesn’t matter. To us, he’s just Otis. I just felt the comment came across a little unnecessary as his overall physique is that of a lurcher cross.

We use the harness on long walks when we use the long line as it means if it he runs away quickly we won’t be yanking his neck. But for short/calm walks, we use a thick collar that’s especially for sighthounds :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back