The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Help Please! "whippets Don't Sit" ??? And Training &

pixypup

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello all,

I took Dora to her first puppy class today. She did quite well seeing as it was the first time!

One thing that concerned me was something the trainer said. We were showing her the sit, and she said 'oh, whippets don't really like sitting.' I must have looked confused seeing as Dora was sat down looking at me waiting for her treat, because she then said 'well if they sit when they're little they like it less as they get older'. Anyone experience this with their whippet?

She seemed surprised that Dora did a really good recall despite the other dogs barking, and then we swapped puppies (I had a rather cute cav king charles to play with) and I overheard her saying to the man who was trying to get Dora to do a 'down', 'if she won't do it, she won't do it, you do have to compromise with some breeds'. :huh:

Does anyone have any tips for training the down? If I put the treat on the floor and wait she just stands up, and I tried taking her under my leg whilst I was sitting on the floor (very elegant!!) and she's so bendy she just limbo'd. She's quite happy to lie down in her bed in the 'I'm a sphinx, worship me' position ;) so is it the floor that's the problem?

The trainer's comments concern me because I'd quite like to do some kind of agility with Dora when she's old enough, but I don't want to make her do something she hates! could also be a bit of an issue if she won't sit or lie down, surely that's not possible? :blink:

Any tips gratefully received! I'm still going to go to the classes because I think we will still benefit from it, plus the only other one in my town is about three times the cost...

3976918309_baeeaa57d9_m.jpg

being cute at the office

3976917427_57aa1238a6_m.jpg

I made her a coat ;)

3976913737_c3cf570740_m.jpg

like going for walks, not that keen on the damp!

Sounds like the trainer didn't know much about whippets . They do sit fine just like any other breed . To get them to "down " get her to sit then put the treat in front of her but push it twards her chest between her front paws and say down . She should go down but you may need to practice ! :)

All my whippets sit on command and they sit without being asked if there's any likelihood of a treat too :lol: :lol:

They also do down quite easily, but not too keen if the grass is wet :eek:

I go to training classes and the trainer I have is of the opinion that whippets can do anything that any other dog can do, it's just a matter of time, patience and reward. She likes to use the click and reward method.

If anything, I am the one who says that whippets "don't do that" but I have been proved wrong time and time again as my girls are becoming very accomplished at sits, downs, stays etc etc etc :thumbsup:

My whippet bitch sits - but like Jane's, not if the grass is wet or the ground is stony etc.!! So fussy! She will also fetch a ball, bring it back and drop it for me, but that was hard won and took a lot of practice. Whippets are very clever and sensitive - Ivy was shaking like a leaf today and my husband thought there was something wrong with her. 'She knows I'm going out and she's worried I'm not going to take her' I said and I was right! I think maybe they need to see exactly what the point is when doing training - they are probably thinking 'but why, Mummy?'!

That is my experience too. As long as the floor is soft and warm enough, and there is a bribe involved, she will sit, lie and stay like a dream. Sitting on the cold ground in a damp field, not so keen. And she is an absolute star at bringing back a ball until she gets bored of it, or thinks it would be funnier to drop it in the lake

Last edited by a moderator:
what purpose is there in training a dog to sit??

I used to take a blanket for mine to do 'sits' & downs.

As for agility, Daisy was the most awkward cuss born but she loves agility we just had to persist (Iposted a few pics of her doing agility the other day) Whippets can do anything they put their minds to

Thanks everyone :) I'll try what you've suggested.

As for why train her to sit, I guess it's just one of those things people expect dogs to learn in a puppy class and I won't "pass" if she doesn't do it! I suppose it does seem quite odd if you think about it. She does do it of her own accord rather than me having to make her or push her, I just added the command. I'm not going to make her do it on cold, wet or painful ground. My lurcher never sat, he just couldn't seem to fold himself that way. He did do a very good down :)

I would much rather she could do a reliable recall than anything else - that might be a bit too much to hope for, though! :D

Thanks everyone :) I'll try what you've suggested.
As for why train her to sit, I guess it's just one of those things people expect dogs to learn in a puppy class and I won't "pass" if she doesn't do it! I suppose it does seem quite odd if you think about it. She does do it of her own accord rather than me having to make her or push her, I just added the command. I'm not going to make her do it on cold, wet or painful ground. My lurcher never sat, he just couldn't seem to fold himself that way. He did do a very good down :)

I would much rather she could do a reliable recall than anything else - that might be a bit too much to hope for, though! :D
G'day pixypup

I have found positive reinforcement training with the Clicker and food rewards to work really well with my two.

I know some classes don't like you to use hand signals with the sit command but I use a hand with the palm facing up with my fingers pointing towards the dog. When I give the sit command I raise my fingers, as they sit their head comes up . When the dog sits I click and give a food reward. Doesn't take long before the dog is sitting with the hand signal alone.

This way I can be talking to someone and controlling my dog at the same time.

Similar to what "Hula" has said. With the drop, when I start with a new dog I like to have the dog sitting. When giving the command I use a food reward by running it from their nose down their chest to the floor behind their front legs. When the dog drops I use the Clicker and give them the food reward. After they have "got it" I just use the normal hand signal.

I believe a very reliable recall is not to much to hope for.

When starting with a new dog I use the Clicker and a food reward every time my dog returns, every time. Start with your dog only a short distance away and slowly increase the distance. I do this half a dozen times throughout the day, every day for 30 days. After the 1st few days I don't do it formally I just call them up from the back yard for no reason, Click and reward. They love the game and it becomes instinctive even when a possum is making a racket the trees.

After the 30 days or so or when they have "got it" I only reward them when I have called them up for no reason. If I have needed to call them up for making a noise they only get a "cut it out" or a "good boy/girl". I try to still do this recall drill once a day and even more often when on the beach or out in the field after Tracking Training.

My routine may not work for you but I am a strong advocate for Positive Reinforcement Training.

Quite a few years ago when we first had Jasper we went to a companion show and an agility team did a demonstation. Amongst the dogs was a whippet. The commentaror told us that the whippet had competed in the ABC agility class at crufts that year and had been placed in the top 6 I can't remember now exactly what her placing was.

Whippets not sitting?

IMG_4189ros.jpg

IMG_4105.jpg

It was the first thing mine learnt (although i think they stopped at that.. :- )

I think it's important for 'manners' and knowing their place. Mine automatically sit for a treat and their food otherwise they know they won't get it. To me, it makes sure they are under control and not jumping about where food is involved. It also means you've got their full attention.

I will say mine didn't get 'stay' and I've been pretty lax at re-inforcing it. It's really hard with two at once and we rarely get enough time to take them out on good long walks separately. And they will lie down at training class but not for long as the wooden floor is too uncomfortable.

I was told about the sitting when we had our greyhound and it is a load of rubbish

Of course they sit ...... Ian thinks some people think that as racing greyhounds are not taught too.... we had Jacques at 4 years and he didn't know and had to be taught.

Sid and Ben as you can see, didn't need to be taught how to sit at all :lol:

051120081070.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Whippets not sitting?
IMG_4189ros.jpg

IMG_4105.jpg

It was the first thing mine learnt (although i think they stopped at that.. :- )

I think it's important for 'manners' and knowing their place. Mine automatically sit for a treat and their food otherwise they know they won't get it. To me, it makes sure they are under control and not jumping about where food is involved. It also means you've got their full attention.

I will say mine didn't get 'stay' and I've been pretty lax at re-inforcing it. It's really hard with two at once and we rarely get enough time to take them out on good long walks separately. And they will lie down at training class but not for long as the wooden floor is too uncomfortable.

What a gorgeous pic :wub: :wub:

I've never had any trouble getting Star or Skye to sit :) especially if there is a treat involved :- :lol:

Jesse :wub: (RIP) however would sit ;) but as he was an entire male if the ground was cold :- he would jump straight up again :eek: as his balls were the

first thing to hit the ground :b (w00t) :lol: :lol:

I've never had any trouble getting Star or Skye to sit :) especially if there is a treat involved :- :lol:
Jesse :wub: (RIP) however would sit ;) but as he was an entire male if the ground was cold :- he would jump straight up again :eek: as his balls were the

Sonia Sonia Sonia (w00t) :lol:

Sonia Sonia Sonia (w00t) :lol:
Graeme Graeme Graeme :teehee:

:p :p :p

Ok now I'm laughing, I can just imagine the look on his face :D

I will get a clicker, have made some liver treats today (made the whole house smell foul! but she likes them) and will practice. Dora seems to have worked out what "in your crate" and "on your bed" means, though she doesn't always comply, so I'm sure she will be able to do "down" if she feels like it. It's more likely I'm not getting the timing right.

Thanks all, I really appreciate it, lovely photos :)

our puppy class trainer let us take a small fleece for ours to sit and lie down on. THEY'LL ALWAYS DO IT FOR A TREAT.

i NEVER ASK ELLA TO SIT WHILST WAITING AT THE KIRB TO CROSS THE ROAD, i ask her to 'wait' that's what an old man taught me to tell her, it's qick, firm and can be used in many situations..........even tho my o.h laughs when I tell her to 'wait' when a police/ambulance siren is screaming past, I just hope that if she's ever escaped and hears a siren she doesn't panic + run out.......just my little thing, bit like counting how many seat backs I am from the nearest door on a plane in case of a smoke filled emergency! I know worrier aren't I?!!

My trainer told me to sit down and make a tunnel with your legs and tempt the dog through your legs with a treat and out the other side. It worked after a couple of goes and theysoon learn to associate "down" with getting down on all fours.

Ok now I'm laughing, I can just imagine the look on his face :D
I will get a clicker, have made some liver treats today (made the whole house smell foul! but she likes them) and will practice. Dora seems to have worked out what "in your crate" and "on your bed" means, though she doesn't always comply, so I'm sure she will be able to do "down" if she feels like it. It's more likely I'm not getting the timing right.

Thanks all, I really appreciate it, lovely photos :)
Hey with the Clicker if you ever click it by mistake be sure to give a small food reward, that way if they ever hear a click they know they will always get a reward.

Being timely is very important, Click right on the Target response. They soon do what has been asked just to get to here the Click and get a food reward.

Train with a hungry dog with good quality food and take the amount of reward food used away from your dogs daily food ration.

Click on the correct response and try to ignore the incorrect response or behaviour. I try not to overuse the Clicker, I use it to train then after the dog knows the drill I only use it now and then to maintain the behaviour.

I don't claim to be an expert just tips I have picked up from my Dog Tracking/Scenting mentor.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back