The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Help Please

saraquele

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
its our daft jack russell again !!!!!! she is around 10 - 12 years old ( dont 100% know as she is a rescue ) she is neuterd , and usually fit and well , 3 weeks ago she had to have 4 teeth removed under GA we had pre anasthetic bloods done , all ok ,

yesterday she started acting strange , went quieter , slower upstairs and couldnt jump on sofa , last night she ate her tea fine , going to toilet etc no problem , around 10pm last night we noticed her tummy was soooo bloated ! she was quiet but not in distress , we phoned emergency vet who said if she got any worse to bring her in she was pacefull overnight but we took her in first thing this morning

the vets havent given any indication what it may be , have only done one xray that dosent show anything but they have given her a steroid injection thinking she may have back pain ???????????????????? though they cant rule out any twists in her gut ! ( it actually looks like bloat to me ) they are keeping her in to see if the steroid works , if she passes anything ( she has been to the loo normally here though of course we cant rule out she is backed up ) though her tummy has gone down a little from last nght it still looks like she has been pumped up ! the vet says he dosent think its gas ???

has any one had experience of this and why is the vet concentrationg on her back when her tummy is bloated ??

This has happened to our dachsie Wilbur when the problem is his back. They tense their abdominal muscles to guard their back against movement, the muscles distend and the tummy does get bloated. Hope she's better soon :luck:

The only experience I have had of this type of situation was my old GSD.

She got weaker in her back legs over a while which I put down to old age (she was only 9 or 10 at the time) and she began to appear bloated.

One morning she collapsed and after rushing her straight to the vet (who diagnosed an abdominal tumour) she was operated on but only to find that her liver was cancerous and was bleeding into her abdomen and causing the bloat :( She was PTS whilst under GA.

I do hope that you little girl is suffering from something much less serious and hope she recovers very soon :luck: :thumbsup:

thank you for your replies :huggles:

Lucy is home ! the vets do think it is / was back pain . she has had a steroid injection , has to have a tablet tomorrow , half thursday and half friday .

as long as she is ok we dont have to take her back . she seems much brighter so fingers crossed xxxxxxxx

thank you for your replies :huggles:
Lucy is home ! the vets do think it is / was back pain . she has had a steroid injection , has to have a tablet tomorrow , half thursday and half friday .

as long as she is ok we dont have to take her back . she seems much brighter so fingers crossed xxxxxxxx

So pleased to hear that Lucy is back home and on the mend. I had a retired (rescue Greyhound) who suffered terribly from bloat. I found that changing to a really bland diet helped - removing all treats (even the organic ones!)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back