The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hi from this newbie

janette

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all, I have 3 dogs, 2 golden retrievers and 1 Stabyhoun. My full time worry right now is my elderly golden Oscar (13yo) who this week has ruptured the cruciate in his “good”leg. I joined to see if anyone has experience of non surgical approaches to this. He’s not a candidate for TPLO surgery as his other leg is too weak with arthritis to support him through rehab.

Hello and welcome, I'm sorry to hear about Oscar.

We do have another member with a Stabyhoun, but she hasn't been online for ages. They are quite uncommon here, aren't they.

Yes, a friend’s whippet suffered the same and received help locally (Herefordshire/Worcestershire). Beth’s website www.soulmatevetrehab.co.uk I also took my whippet to her (strain in shoulder) and the only invasive action was acupuncture which Mabel didn’t even notice. Hope it all goes well.

Hi and welcome from me too. You can get knee supports/braces to also help with a ruptured cruciate ligament, I don't personally know anyone that has used them though so unsure how effective they are. Might be worth some investigating.

Hi and welcome. Years ago one of my dogs ruptured her cruciate, and at the time I was the customer of a superb holistic vet. We used rest, homeopathy, acupuncture, massage and then started very limited exercise (10 minutes slow walk on level ground 6 times a day to begin with). It took months but she eventually recovered to the point of happy active life although never completely sound. It helped that she was a lightly-built dog and very fit before the injury, and I never allowed her to put on extra weight. But all dogs are different, and mine was only 7 at the time of the injury. What does your vet say?

Hello and welcome, I'm sorry to hear about Oscar.

We do have another member with a Stabyhoun, but she hasn't been online for ages. They are quite uncommon here, aren't they.
Yes, there about 45 when Arlo was born but around 300 now. Adorable breed.

Hi and welcome. Years ago one of my dogs ruptured her cruciate, and at the time I was the customer of a superb holistic vet. We used rest, homeopathy, acupuncture, massage and then started very limited exercise (10 minutes slow walk on level ground 6 times a day to begin with). It took months but she eventually recovered to the point of happy active life although never completely sound. It helped that she was a lightly-built dog and very fit before the injury, and I never allowed her to put on extra weight. But all dogs are different, and mine was only 7 at the time of the injury. What does your vet say?
My vet is out of answers other than pain control. My physio gives him PEMF, cold laser and acupuncture weekly and she thinks that with rest and careful management he may regain mobility but shouldn’t be off-lead again. We’re hoping to be able to restart hydro once the inflammation goes down. I wish I had a good holistic vet near me, we’re in East Suffolk and I can’t find one.

I do empathise - my vet has retired from small animal work now, and is sadly missed.

It does sound like you are doing what you can to support him through your physio at the moment. The only other thing I can think, other than above suggestions, is looking at his diet and supplements to support joint health. (Which I expect you are already doing...)

My vet is out of answers other than pain control. My physio gives him PEMF, cold laser and acupuncture weekly and she thinks that with rest and careful management he may regain mobility but shouldn’t be off-lead again. We’re hoping to be able to restart hydro once the inflammation goes down. I wish I had a good holistic vet near me, we’re in East Suffolk and I can’t find one.
I have him on Winston & Porter Hip & Joint plus and he’s raw fed. I need to look at CBD oil though, both for inflammation and for anxiety. He pants and paces when he can’t see me so I have to be right by him all the time.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back