The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

How To Stop A Destructive Whippet?

GreyKnight

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have seen the horror stories on here of people who's whippets tear up the living room and chew everything in sight, unfortunately Monty is in danger of joining them and it's starting to get to the point where we can't leave him for any length of time without him stealing something and chewing it up. There MUST be a way of training a dog to stop doing this, but I can't think how.

This week Monty has chewed a pair of new slippers, chewed a hole in a sun bed, ripped holes in all the seat pads from the patio chairs, ripped a hole in his own bedding and strewn foam all over the garden, tried to chew the bottom of an ironing board leg nearly tipping the board (and hot iron) over in the process and numerous other smaller things. :rant:

We've never had a chewy whippet before, all the others have been good as gold. He's got loads of toys and is never short of proper dog chews to nibble on, so why does he go for everything else?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Graham

Last edited by a moderator:
GreyKnight said:
I have seen the horror stories on here of people who's whippets tear up the living room and chew everything in sight, unfortunately Monty is in danger of joining them and it's starting to get to the point where we can't leave him for any length of time without him stealing something and chewing it up.  There MUST be a way of training a dog to stop doing this, but I can't think how.
This week Monty has chewed a pair of new slippers, chewed a hole in a sun bed, ripped holes in all the seat pads from the patio chairs, ripped a hole in his own bedding and strewn foam all over the garden, tried to chew the bottom of an ironing board leg nearly tipping the board (and hot iron) over in the process and numerous other smaller things.  :rant:

We've never had a chewy whippet before, all the others have been good as gold.  He's got loads of toys and is never short of proper dog chews to nibble on, so why does he go for everything else?

Graham

where are you when its doing all this, not being rude, havent you got a crate

keith

Hi Keith

Yes we have a crate, but I'm talking about him just being out of sight on his own around the house for a few minutes! It's not fair to lock him in a cage whenever we leave the room and we never had a crate for our previous whippets, they were all perfectly behaved.

He doesn't mind his crate, he happily goes in it at night to sleep and actually whines if we leave him out! He just seems to suffer terribly from lack of attention. If he's not being played with or walked then he wants to misbehave.

Sounds a bit hyper to me. What are you feeding him?

dessie said:
Sounds a bit hyper to me.  What are you feeding him?
Very likely actually, the thought had crossed my mind. I don't generally do the feeding you see, my father does that.

He gets fed a bit of raw tripe plus half a pedigree favourites meat pouch and small bite mixer every morning and evening. There is also a bowl of Bakers Complete sat there most of the time.

Hmm - now I come to think of it that sounds like rather a lot doesn't it... :unsure:

Mmm . ....... certainly does!! Too much mixed protein and not enough carbs!

dessie said:
Mmm . ....... certainly does!!  Too much mixed protein and not enough carbs!
Well what would you suggest for a 10 month old whippet? To be honest our last dogs lived off dry food and titbits, they never had any dog meat or tripe at all. I'm not really clued up on what foods have protein and what foods have carbs.

GreyKnight said:
I have seen the horror stories on here of people who's whippets tear up the living room and chew everything in sight, unfortunately Monty is in danger of joining them and it's starting to get to the point where we can't leave him for any length of time without him stealing something and chewing it up.  There MUST be a way of training a dog to stop doing this, but I can't think how.
This week Monty has chewed a pair of new slippers, chewed a hole in a sun bed, ripped holes in all the seat pads from the patio chairs, ripped a hole in his own bedding and strewn foam all over the garden, tried to chew the bottom of an ironing board leg nearly tipping the board (and hot iron) over in the process and numerous other smaller things.  :rant:

We've never had a chewy whippet before, all the others have been good as gold.  He's got loads of toys and is never short of proper dog chews to nibble on, so why does he go for everything else?

Graham

Do you actually catch him being naughty, what method of correction do you apply,

no good chastising him after the offence, thats if you do, you really have to understand your dog and get inside his mind, wish i could be of help, but without actually being with the dog, cant offer any more advice :luck:

keith

Bakers contains a lot of artificial colourings and E numbers, which can affect a dog's behaviour just like they do childrens' behaviour, so that could well be causing the hyperactivity :- "

I work for a pet food company (Arden Grange) but I won't try and influence your choice of food :thumbsup:

But I will say, whether you decide to feed raw, prepared or complete dried food, it's best to go for something which contains no artificial preservatives, additives or colourings, and which (if a dried food) is made from meat or meat meal as the first ingredient, and not including any derivatives.

Hope this helps :luck:

Liz and the Monellis

Hi

Is he getting enough exercise. My whippet is always naughty when she is needing a good run.

She still chews the odd things but not to the exstet she was, i have found that if she has been out and run her little legs of she comes home and sleeps for hours lol. Even she cant chew while sleeping :thumbsup:

I know all dogs are different but i have found with all my dogs what ever the breed the more stimulation they get from walks the less destructive they are it in the house. maybe a combination of that and high protein food is to much for him

Wendy

talisman said:
Hi
Is he getting enough exercise. My whippet is always naughty when she is needing a good run.

She still chews the odd things but not to the exstet she was, i have found that if she has been out and run her little legs of she comes home and sleeps for hours lol. Even she cant chew while sleeping  :thumbsup:

I know all dogs are different but i have found with all my dogs what ever the breed the more stimulation they get from walks the less destructive they are it in the house. maybe a combination of that and high protein food is to much for him

Wendy

He gets loads of exercise. He is walked twice a day all around our 30 or so acres of ground and I regularly play with him in the garden with his toys. I can't do much more than that!

Perhaps he needs company :- "

(of the whippety kind)

Yes I agree with Liz get him off the bakers complete and the pedigree pouches - put him on a more natural diet, I am not saying definitely raw as I know this doesn't suit everyone but either a more natural wet food (forthglade or naturediet) or a more natural dried food (arden grange or burns)

I know you say your past dogs have been perfectly behaved, but to be honest I think you have been lucky - all dogs have these very trying periods and he is basiocally an adolescent at the moment! It will pass but perhaps he needs more stimulation - some obedience training or basic agility to help keep him focused?

Sounds like he is having plenty of exercise - I would definitely, defintiely change the food (bakers is rubbish) as it sounds a bit like you have a doggy equivalent of a toddler that has raided the sweet shop!! :lol:

Good luck :luck:

Ps - just thought how about another whippet as company? :teehee: :- "

I'm no expert but if he was my dog I would definitely change the food to the more natural alternatives already mentioned - mine gets Burns complete for breakfast and Natures Menu with Burns mixer for tea which suits her well.

Also although he seems to get plenty of exercise I agree that he sounds like he needs more mental stimulation - lucky though he is to have access to your open spaces I think a mixture of types of walks suits young dogs as it gives them things to think about. So I'd get out and about and take some walks through small towns/villages/along the river/round the park/ or whatever you have access to.

I read somewhere that when dogs are adolescent they need to spread their wings and explore the big world so this may help him settle down. Good luck :luck: :luck:

I go with the others and suggest changing his food really soon.

Pedigree Chum and Bakers get the 'no no' from a lot of dog people :- " and I would never feed my lot on them. Far too much rubbish; additives, colours etc. It's quite possible the food is making him hyperactive and also leaving it down is fairly unnatural for a dog and they thrive much better on two meals a day. That way he can't 'overdose' on energy-giving food.

Burns is a great food and will take the 'heat' out of an overly active dog who is causing trouble out of frustration.

Having said all that our lovely placid labrador stole my sandal today and threw it round the garden out of sheer joy at life!!!! She's not done that for years!!! She didn't really chew it but she managed to tear the stitching. :oops:

Thanks for the replies folks, I'll try changing the food then. Where do you get this Burns stuff from? The local pet stores don't have it.

Monty just seems to enjoy being naughty at the moment, maybe it's just a phase. He knows he's being bad because if you catch him doing something he shouldn't (like throwing his bed around the garden) he runs and hides under a table or something as soon as he sets eyes on you as he knows he's going to be shouted at. He knows nothing good will come of it, but he does it anyway! :clown:

Well, he's been reasonably well behaved this weekend, so I guess he's forgiven just because he's such a character (w00t)

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that it is "quite" likely that Monty will have company of the whippety kind at some point in the next couple of years. Mum has pretty much decided she wants to get a bitch and she keeps asking me if there are any more puppy pictures on K9 :- " I don't think Dad is so keen as he keeps moaning that if we have two then he won't be able to go away on holiday in the caravan so easily and that they'll have to have a kennel put outside. To be honest he moans a lot about many many things though and we don't take much notice of him... ;)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back